Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've noticed an annoying tapping sound coming from the engine...much similar to the one I had in my Ford Focus when the hydrolic lifters were tapping. Its a new car, 5200 miles on it and its already tapping? WTF? Anyone know a way to remedy this? She's got oil, had her first oil change and still does it. Is this something thats caused by oil starvation or could this be something totally different than a lifter tap?

·
Registered
651 Posts
I know the direct injection system can be pretty loud considering how high the psi is. Maybe it's just the injectors, mine has made that noise since day one.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The DISI is very loud, but at 1600psi i guess it would be.

Is the tapping all the time?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The DISI is very loud, but at 1600psi i guess it would be.

Is the tapping all the time?
[/b]
The tapping is consistent, I haven't had someone get in and press on the gas, however, so I'm not sure if it increases with the RPMs like normal lifter tapping. I'm sure its fine, I just hear horror stories about oil starvation with the turbo and this car is my pride and joy -- and house payment to boot.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I noticed the engine is rather loud while idling, but only when standing outside. I don't hear any tapping sounds inside. I figured this was normal.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I noticed the engine is rather loud while idling, but only when standing outside. I don't hear any tapping sounds inside. I figured this was normal.
[/b]
:yesnod: I don't notice it inside. Maybe its just my paranoia.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I only hear tapping sounds after my car is shut off and i'm standing outside. Then again, I always have my stereo/radio on at all times when I'm driving so it might be there but I can't hear it. I'm not to worried, my car's performance hasn't changed much in the past weeks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yup- mine taps all the time too @ idle. It's done it since day one, so I figured it couldn't be anything to worry about. Never realized it was the direct injection system...I learn something new every day.

·
Registered
176 Posts
So, I've noticed an annoying tapping sound coming from the engine...much similar to the one I had in my Ford Focus when the hydrolic lifters were tapping. Its a new car, 5200 miles on it and its already tapping? WTF? Anyone know a way to remedy this? She's got oil, had her first oil change and still does it. Is this something thats caused by oil starvation or could this be something totally different than a lifter tap?
[/b]
In a related question, does this car have hydraulic lifters? I doubt it, but am not sure. It may have lash adjusters, but I would be surprised if it has lifters. I've not seen a cutaway of the engine, and have not read a detailed description of the engine. Just seems that such an arrangement would be complex and add a lot of inertia to the valve train in a DOHC, 16-valve system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts