Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.

So I know the deal with lifters. When they wear out or the oil gets dirty, they make a noise.
The thing that I don't quite understand is why my lifters are as quiet as a mouse when my engine is cold, and progressively become more noisy as my engine reaches operating temperature.

PS: I have done an oil and filter change. It did not help.

Regards
Brent

· Registered
8,096 Posts
How do you know its the lifters and not injectors?

· Registered
3,790 Posts
If the oil is in good condition and clean then its not "too low viscosity"; something is bad and putting a band-on it won't fix it. I would put a gauge on the oil pressure switch port (assuming you only have an idiot light) and see what sort of reading you get. If its low find the reason and fix or you're asking to blow the engine up, perhaps quite-quickly.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the oil is in good condition and clean then its not "too low viscosity"; something is bad and putting a band-on it won't fix it. I would put a gauge on the oil pressure switch port (assuming you only have an idiot light) and see what sort of reading you get. If its low find the reason and fix or you're asking to blow the engine up, perhaps quite-quickly.
No lights showing on the dash as yet, but I'll check out the oil pressure switch.

Thanks for the advice.

· Registered
3,790 Posts
The idiot light, if it comes on during actual production of power, is essentially a "replace engine now" light. If pressure is low odds are pretty good you have a main or conrod bearing wear problem although the oil pump (including sludge in the pickup screen) can be at fault as well. Whatever it is if the pressure is out-of-spec find and fix it now or you will soon be buying an engine. At your mileage unless the engine has been abused it should not have this problem but if the vehicle was not bought new by you then you have no idea how it was actually treated by former owner(s).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts