Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still on the original battery, but noticing it is having a harder time starting the motor.
So when I replace it I'm thinking of getting a LifePo battery, weighing only 4-5lbs, versus the stock battery that looks very heavy (not sure the exact weight, but I figure ~45lbs).
Because it is a much better Lithium battery technology the peak amperage they can output in short bursts far exceeds what Lead-Acid (even AGM) can do, BUT is more affected by the cold. Also these batteries have less amp hours (unless you spend over $500), so should avoid sitting and thumping music with engine off :)

Saving that 40lbs eqautes to 2-4hp (depending on who you ask), but weight matters most for cornering & stopping (plus this reduces weight from high up, lowering center of gravity!)

AntiGravity ATX20-RS (680 amp, 20ah, 3.8lbs)) - $290 on Amazon or ATX20-HD (900 amp, 30ah, 5.2lbs) $360 on Amazon.

Anyone had experience with these?
AG-20_AmznSnip.JPG

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I wouldnt buy from Amazon unless its a retailer that has their own site and you are saving a few bucks because they are selling there too. Amazon doesnt police the listings nor the sellers and even if its a "prime" item you can still get a shit piece and have issues returning it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Lithium batteries have VERY different charging requirements from lead-acid batteries. Getting stranded if it doesn’t charge right is the least of the potential issues. Lithium (even the safer polymer types) batteries can suddenly burst into flames if charged or discharged improperly. If you go that route, please post your experiences.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lithium batteries have VERY different charging requirements from lead-acid batteries...
Yes, that's part of why I'm specifying the AntiGravity batteries (probably some other good ones too) as they are meant to replace Lead-Acid batteries, with built-in BMS to protect from those risks, AND it has a "re-start" function that keeps enough reserve to theoretically be able to start the car.
Also, I'm figuring I'd get a LifePo specific battery maintainer to be safe, but others have dropped it in there track car many months ago without issue and without any special charger.

I'll certainly post once I make that switch.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Yes, that's part of why I'm specifying the AntiGravity batteries (probably some other good ones too) as they are meant to replace Lead-Acid batteries, with built-in BMS to protect from those risks, AND it has a "re-start" function that keeps enough reserve to theoretically be able to start the car.
Also, I'm figuring I'd get a LifePo specific battery maintainer to be safe, but others have dropped it in there track car many months ago without issue and without any special charger.

I'll certainly post once I make that switch.
Replying here to get updated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts