Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, by now if you don't know that I'm crazy about lights then check some of my posts. What I am bringing to you now is my latest light mod. I found this product from a member on another forum and for the price I just HAD to try it. I have never heard of these lights before but they are very similar to neon lights at a VERY affordable price. We're talking about 6.50-8 bucks for 2 12" tubes. You can check them out here:
http://www.oznium.com/cathode-kit
Here are my pics:

First started with the tube:

I removed the cover over the trunk lock and the license plate lights. You will notice that there are 2 holes for the factory lights:

Then layed the tube inside the plastic trunk cover to mark what needed to be cut out:

I then marked what needed to be cut out to fit the tube:

Let the cutting begin:

Place the tube inside after it has been cut and mount with silicon:

Put the car back together and mounted the other tube (it comes as a kit with 2 tubes) inside the trunk

Put the wires for the transformer in the old plugs for the license plate light bulbs....then the final product:

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very nice. I like it.

Is there anyone that knows the legality of this mod? Are the stock lights allowed to be changed out
[/b]
Everyone on the other forum thinks it's cool. The light is not brighter than that of the new Lexus GS but has the same neonish glow in bright white. If anything this is safer than the stock being it's brighter.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yo man, I put the Matrix lights as a replacement for the stock license plate lights and I haven't had any problems here *YET*..But where I am from cops are really really bored and have nothing to do but pull people over for no reasons and I haven't gotten pulled over yet for any of my lights, and, like you, I am obsessed with lights..Today I actually put new Hyper White LEDs as a replacement for the parking lights and they look AWESOME..Anyways, I don't know the Legality of it, but I think you should be fine if you do it..GOOD JOB BY THE WAY!!! I love it!

·
Registered
313 Posts
freaking awesome. nice.

wait. so you cut out zoom-zoom?

looks great. damn you members i have so much stuff on my 'to do' list. :drool:

EDIT: nevermind i see its just a reflection. boo. lol. maybe i'll cut it out.
EDIT2: i think you should get some either plexi-glass or just find some thing that came in a clear plastic packaging to cover the holes.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yo man, I put the Matrix lights as a replacement for the stock license plate lights and I haven't had any problems here *YET*..But where I am from cops are really really bored and have nothing to do but pull people over for no reasons and I haven't gotten pulled over yet for any of my lights, and, like you, I am obsessed with lights..Today I actually put new Hyper White LEDs as a replacement for the parking lights and they look AWESOME..Anyways, I don't know the Legality of it, but I think you should be fine if you do it..GOOD JOB BY THE WAY!!! I love it!
[/b]
Cool, I've replaced the front 194 bulbs in the headlights (high beams) with the refractor amber LEDs and they looked great. I had the super white 194 refractor LEDs in the license plate lights for a while and no problem with the cops. Even after they pulled me over for the tint....bad cop no donut

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Looking good! Did you think of putting a reflective someting above it to put more of the light out to the plate, or do you want to limit how bright your plate is?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking good! Did you think of putting a reflective someting above it to put more of the light out to the plate, or do you want to limit how bright your plate is?
[/b]
Yeah thought about it but the other member told me on his truck it did not need it so I trusted him but I think I'm going to move the other tube to the outside and put a reflective strip above as well. All in all I think it turned out good. The tubes are very small compared to neons and VERY cheap compared to LEDs or neons. I bought 2 sets of these and think the other 2 are going inside the trunk for better lighting. Maybe soon a set under the hood since Mazda couldn’t even give us some light under there.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Last thing I want is to make it easier for people to see my plates.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Some people just feel safe doing it. I guess people can more easily target you or report things you've done to dealerships/authrorites and such with your plate.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
hmmm ... i c... it's a nice mod./.. good job... !!! i cant see clearly how u cut that though.... will water seep in thru the holes and wet ur trunk... ?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
looks good, I just threw some 6LED bulbs in there and get just bout the same light output and I would think as far as legality, anything that makes ur plate lit up same as stock or brighter can't hurt....

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
seriously, this mod would get u more output than 6 LEDs..... if u check it out urself, u;ll see that the bulbs(or LEDs) will only light up 2 spots... but this mod will let u see the WHOLE license plate shining from the top.........

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
it looks good, except for the last picture! :p

i would like to see a couple of shots at night, one close up and one from afar to get a good feel for the light output. it looks sweet, and more light is always better.

and tim, the holes are on the bottom, so if anything it is a place for it to escape. i took the plastic covers off of mine for a better white and haven't had any leakage. :)

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
it looks good, except for the last picture! :p

i would like to see a couple of shots at night, one close up and one from afar to get a good feel for the light output. it looks sweet, and more light is always better.

and tim, the holes are on the bottom, so if anything it is a place for it to escape. i took the plastic covers off of mine for a better white and haven't had any leakage. :)
[/b]
u mean the plastic cover for the original bulbs? no, i m not talking about that, i meant the new holes that he cut right in the middle of the original position... :p

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
yes but that's in the same location as the previous holes, so it's not going to make much difference. i was using my lights as a reference that they are open to the elements pretty much the same as his.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
13 Participants
sexy6s
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing