Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found good quality and not crazily bright LEDs for the license plates? I current have two or three different pairs but they are all really bright at about 30lms. I wish there was something like the BMW stock LED has (not so bright yet natural elegant white).

·
Registered
26 Posts
I found some 1SMD bulbs on eBay that have the right brightness, but have a pinkish hue to them. The 5SMD ones I agree are way too bright.

Since I can't find a quality source for pure white 1SMD bulbs I was thinking about pulling the four side mounted LEDs from a decent 5SMD bulb.

Another thing you could do is paint some of the bulbs with some testors or nail polish to make them darker.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found some 1SMD bulbs on eBay that have the right brightness, but have a pinkish hue to them. The 5SMD ones I agree are way too bright.

Since I can't find a quality source for pure white 1SMD bulbs I was thinking about pulling the four side mounted LEDs from a decent 5SMD bulb.

Another thing you could do is paint some of the bulbs with some testors or nail polish to make them darker.
I've tried masking part of the LEDs with a black tape just to see how it looks, it kind of changes the overall color.

·
Super Moderator
17,309 Posts
Anything works, exept for ebay. Unless you prefer changing them every 3 weeks
Haha exactly the reason that I pay slightly more to get them at Autolumination.com. I've only ever had a single bulb die on me from them in 6 years, and that was because water got into the housing.

I went for the "wide beam" LEDs, so it's not a direct bright light, but a spread-out slightly softer beam.

Still might be too bright for you though from the sounds of it:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha exactly the reason that I pay slightly more to get them at Autolumination.com. I've only ever had a single bulb die on me from them in 6 years, and that was because water got into the housing.

I went for the "wide beam" LEDs, so it's not a direct bright light, but a spread-out slightly softer beam.

Still might be too bright for you though from the sounds of it:

There's quite a few options there, some seem real nice fit for what I may want. Can you share a link or two on the ones you got? Looking at a variety confuses me lol.

I am thinking the ones with low power and 1 LED should do the job?

·
Mazda6club.com: Sponsors
275 Posts
If you are looking for a nice uniform coverage and want a clean white look, our HP3/HP5 models would be perfect for your application

(Please excuse the MS3 comparison photo, we haven't added 2015+ Mazda 6 license plate photos yet)

If you aren't wanting it as bright as factory, an older SMD style LED would be just fine

Nick C.

·
Super Moderator
17,309 Posts
There's quite a few options there, some seem real nice fit for what I may want. Can you share a link or two on the ones you got? Looking at a variety confuses me lol.

I am thinking the ones with low power and 1 LED should do the job?
Yeah their site is super obnoxious (unlike Diode's), and a bit of a hassle to navigate.

On this page: 194 Bulbs 168 W5W 2825 Map Led Parking Signal Side Marker
Search: "Oval Wide Angle Lenses"

The ones you see in my photos are the super white.

The only other bulbs I have experience on that site are the "Focused Lenses," "Frosted Lenses," and the "Super White (Xenon)" bulbs. All of which are GREAT depending on the application you need.

Edit: pic for reference: http://www.autolumination.com/images/auto_bulbs/194_oval_w_wm.jpg

·
Super Moderator
17,309 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,309 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Guys just thought I would mention that the Autolumination ones that Byakuya was talking about failed on me recently. The left bulb started flickering constantly. Perhaps water got in the housing, which is a shame considering I liked the color and output of the bulbs. So I got these and so far they're holding up well:

They are really bright and cast a nice semi-circle on the ground. Pure white without a hint of blue. And JDM Astar on Amazon makes some good leds (not affiliated with them).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts