Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my car is coming up on 3yrs now and I've kind of caught the new car itch. So I went out and test drove the new Acura TL-S, whatever the latest version is of the MazdaSpeed6, and the Scion TC. I went to test drive the Lexus IS350 when the salesman gave me the oddest pitch I've ever heard coming from a dealer; he actually told me to wait 8 months.

During our discussion I mentioned the main thing I do not like about my current car is that its an Automatic which ironically, is also the main thing I do not like about the current IS350, however, I was willing to test drive the IS350 and make a decision from there. He recommended that I wait 8 months because Lexus has informed him that a new IS is on the way for 2008. He didn't have many details but what he had sounded sweet (except the price of course).

It sounds like for 2008 Lexus will go after the M3 with a new trim level for their IS350 called the IS350-F. It will have a V8, 6 speed manual, and the option to turn off TCS, VDIM, etc. He said Lexus is shooting for the sub 5 second 0-60 range for this car. I'm thinking they will use the 4.6L V8 from the LS and slightly detune it for the IS. This would result in at least 350HP for the IS, which, with its current 3500lb curb weight, would definitely put it in the sub 5 second range. The price was the only hitch, he's estimating it will be in the mid to high $40K range. I'm thinking it will be in the very high part of that $40K range meaning $49,999.00. It will probably be a fully loaded IS350 with few options (maybe tranny and Nav/no Nav).

I'm not sure if I can stomach the price, but if so, it does sound like the perfect car. Lexus quality and luxury combined with serious performance. Performance isn't everything though, to pay that much money they will have to do something about the rear end. It looks way too much like a Camry from the rear in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
If those are the attributes of the vehicle, I think it will be worth the price, especially if it can run with the M3 and at the same time keep its air of luxury and numbness that Lexus is reknown for. If i had the money, i'd love to own something like that.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
i'd just get an 08' supra ;).

·
Registered
990 Posts
I saw a loaded IS350 at the local dealer for $45K...I seriously doubt this new V8 model will sell for under $50K. For that price, give me an Audi S4....better styling in & out.

For the current IS350, go test drive a new G35S...even with every option, you're not going to hit $40K.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw a loaded IS350 at the local dealer for $45K...I seriously doubt this new V8 model will sell for under $50K. For that price, give me an Audi S4....better styling in & out.

For the current IS350, go test drive a new G35S...even with every option, you're not going to hit $40K.
[/b]
True, but I've never gotten used to those headlights. From the back and sides they are sharp, but they really need to do something about the front. I think its pretty much going to come down to the TL-S and the new IS350. I'll wait until the new IS350 is released for my final decision. I would rather spend the extra $$ to get something I truly like, than save a few $$ and never be happy with what I ended up with.

Plus I look at the depreciation rate. My current 6 has dropped over $16K in value within three yrs. Spending $50K for a car then selling it for ~$40K 3yrs later would actually cost less than spending $26K on a car then only getting $10K for it 3yrs later, which is what will happen when I trade in my 6.

Maybe something better will come along in the mean time, but I'm extremely picky about cars, right now I only like my current 6, the TL-S, and the IS350. If I can get an IS350 with everything I don't like fixed for $50K then its worth it to me.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
When you consider the difference in tax, title, interest on loan or lost interest on cash and insurance that can apply, the difference shrinks. I also think 10K is a bit pessimistic for a 3-year old Mazda6 that sold (not MSRP, which the Lexus is likely to hold close to) for $26K. To get that, the car has to have essentially every option, and a 2003 (could call it a 4-year old car now) with 45,000 miles has a trade in of about $13,000.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're right, not to mention insurance, however, you only live once, I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I can afford it. Also, my car has almost 60K miles and I have never been quoted higher than $10K. Mazda, Acura, and Toyota all said they won't give me more than $10K, and that was last yr when it had around 45K miles. I'm guessing its below $10K now. The Acura dealer even mentioned that all of Mazda's incentives and discounts killed the trade-in value of the car. To get me the price quote, the Acura dealer called Mazda, and Mazda only quoted him $10K.

On the other hand, the 2yr old 6 speed Acura TL I drove was still going for $29K. That's only $7K less than when it was brand new (w/navi). The dealer would not budge on the OTD price. I checked the net, most of the private owners and other dealers were asking $30k and up.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
While I think such a car sounds fantastic, I couldn't justify paying $50k for a car that didn't massage my genitals for me (and it'd still have to be faster than all the STI/EVO/SRT rice-rockets out there).

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
While I think such a car sounds fantastic, I couldn't justify paying $50k for a car that didn't massage my genitals for me (and it'd still have to be faster than all the STI/EVO/SRT rice-rockets out there).
[/b]
So...if a Kia had genital massaging seats, you would pay $50k for it?? :laugh:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
2 words.... 335i
[/b]

AMEN :yesnod:

I saw the new 328i coupe on the road yesterday. They look amazing..... :drool:

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
On the other hand, the 2yr old 6 speed Acura TL I drove was still going for $29K. That's only $7K less than when it was brand new (w/navi). The dealer would not budge on the OTD price. I checked the net, most of the private owners and other dealers were asking $30k and up.
[/b]
Don't confuse retail with trade in. Trade in was probably at least a few thousand less. It may be the difference in markets as well. I was using Edmunds TMV, which is a pretty reliable source of car values.

There's also a big difference between a $36K car and a $50K car (and screw Navi to save a couple grand), money that I could put to other uses (or invest)... particularly when the Lexus IS is such a small cramped automobile compared to the roominess of the TL (I would have bought one if the rear seat folded :swearin: idiotic moron designers)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts