Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
many people have compared the mazda6 with other cars in the same price range, but if the mazda6 is to replace the old millenia or the 929/Eunos, and you don't count the lower graded material used to furnish the car or those expensive electromechanical controls, and just compare it to other cars in terms of the mechanical aspect, I think it is a car that is comparable to a pricier BMW 3 series, and the 6 is definitely a bargain!

by the way, How does the '6' compare with the IS 200?
I heard that the IS200 has very good suspension and a very smooth straight 6 2.0 litre engine and a very strong chasis, except it is a smaller car.
anyone here has driven a Lexus IS 200 and can tell me the difference?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Lexus IS 200'

Well.......for example; in America they don't have the 1.8 and 2.0, right? So there it is normal to compare it to the Toyota Camry and such

But here in Europe, the Camry is in the Xedos 9-class. The Mazda6 is still a car in the 626-class, so the 6 can never replace the Xedos 9 (929, whatever). But the Mazda6 ís now the top of the range (if you don't bring the Tribute along). But here in Europe it is not 'normal' to compete a Mazda6 with a Lexus IS, because the IS is a competitor of the BMW 3-series, Merc C-klasse, Audi A4, Volvo S60, Saab 9-3 etc. Offcourse......you can put the Lexus to the Mazda, but IRL people don't think: hm......shall I buy a Lexus IS or a Mazda6?

They just don't.....like I said: in Europe

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

Just keep in mind that the Lexus IS 200/300 is still a Toyota Altezza in Japan. This might allow you to compare it with the Mazda 6. From my point of view the M6 can keep up with the Lexus/Toyota. Especially when it comes down to the looks. :D

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Not really. The Lexus doesn't have even close to the stance of the Mazda6. And Mazda6 has a better quality. That was the main reason it was traded in. There were so many little things the owner couldn't stand with the car. Like the old construction of the trunk-mechanism...

I wouldn't give my Mazda6 away for a Lexus IS200. No way.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

I am not that impressed by Lexus. I can't really see it as a luxury brand when I know it's Corolla guts under the shell. And the IS200/300 are really the only good looking cars they have. THey hae some real monster... Looks lika a hatchback with the entire hatch behind the rear wheels... Like even more extremly rear-heavy then a Octavia.

No I would still take the 6 instead of that. Casue I can't see what the Lexus have that the Mazda don't have.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

I am not that impressed by Lexus. I can't really see it as a luxury brand when I know it's Corolla guts under the shell. And the IS200/300 are really the only good looking cars they have. THey hae some real monster... Looks lika a hatchback with the entire hatch behind the rear wheels... Like even more extremly rear-heavy then a Octavia.

No I would still take the 6 instead of that. Casue I can't see what the Lexus have that the Mazda don't have.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

But what constitutes a luxury brand then? A Lexus is a Toyota underneath, true enough. But if you take a basic car with solid underpinnings, and add luxury items and trim, along with a luxury suspension, where do you draw the line and say "that's not a REAL luxury car". Is it that the name brand doesn't have enough cachet? That IMHO is silly. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then you at least have to acknowledge the possibility that what you're dealing with is in fact a duck.

I like the IS300/Altezza -- it has a very tight chassis, rear wheel drive, and a nice (though not luxury level) interior. IMHO it is both underpowered and overpriced. As the Altezza it sells for considerably less in Japan than as the IS300 in the US. Lexus built its brand name by selling luxury class autos for considerably less than its German competition, along with a dealer network that was focused on excellent service. This formula and Lexus' reputation for quality has allowed Toyota to slowly raise its price level and increase profits.

Would I buy an IS300 over a 6? No. I think too many rich punks buy that car. Maybe when I'm 50, I might buy an LS430 or whatever. At this point I'm not interested in the auto transmission and coffin-like ride most Lexi offer. The 6 is a brilliant combination of comfort, performance, handling, value, and style.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

It might BE a luxurius car, but I can't see that they have anything to to with say BMW 330 or Jaguar S-type/X-type. The X-type might not be that expensive, but it is a Jaguar . I can't see why people with cach would buy this:

When they yould be riding this:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I'd personally take a Lexus over a Jag...

I don't see the big deal about Jags. I personally don't like the way they look, except for the sports one (whatever model it is) - but even that, I've heard, isn't as good as other sports cars for the $$.

Someone I know took me for a ride in his brand new Lexus ES300, and let me drive it. Now that's one gorgeous car, inside and out. It drove smooth - too smooth - with numb and floaty steering. Not my style, but I guess that's what a luxury car is all about.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Yeah I don't get it with the Jags either. The exterior of the new ones are ok I guess, but I'd need to be real drunk before the interior would start to grow on me.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

But what constitutes a luxury brand then? A Lexus is a Toyota underneath, true enough. But if you take a basic car with solid underpinnings, and add luxury items and trim, along with a luxury suspension, where do you draw the line and say "that's not a REAL luxury car". Is it that the name brand doesn't have enough cachet?[/b]
This what I see as luxury brands (in European-ways):

Audi
BMW
Mercedes
Lexus
Volvo
Saab
Jaguar

Lancia & Alfa are almost luxury brands, but Lancia has a small car (Ypsilon) and a MPV.....that is a bit weird for a luxery brand...Alfa is more a sporty brand. And they've got the 147 (competitor for the Golf, Astra, 323 etc) and the 156 (competitor for the Mazda6 etc)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

If a Porsche were a Toyota, would you buy it?

or, if you don't like Porsche,

If a Ferrari were a Honda, would you buy it?

or if you don't like...

You get the idea.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I can only say this:

Shit is shit, no matter what you call it. And a Toyota is a Toyota, no matter if some marketing strategist (like me) comes up with a different name.

It it's owned by Toyota, built by Toyota using Toyota parts for a Toyota design, then by all means it IS a Toyota.

Why is it called "Lexus" - well because "Luxus" was already taken, and also too generic to protect in many markets.

I'm not overly impressed by the luxury Toyotas, but I do like them. Especially the smaller ones.

·
Registered
510 Posts

Just a bit of Info here......

L.E.X.U.S.

Stands for Luxury EXports to United States

I read this in a motoring mag recently...

In Japan they don't even have Lexus as a Model range, they are all badged as Toyota Models.

IE: IS200/300 is Toyota ALtezza, ES300 is Toyota Windom & LS430 is Toyota Celcior & RX300 is Toyota Harrier.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Well again I have to ask: what constitutes a TRUE luxury brand, or a TRUE luxury car? Blackbird said:
It might BE a luxurius car, but I can't see that they have anything to to with say BMW 330 or Jaguar S-type/X-type. The X-type might not be that expensive, but it is a Jaguar[/b]
So what makes people choose one overpriced car over another? To me it's all about brand perception, because one person's classic luxury British motorcar is another's overpriced rebadged Ford. I just don't get it.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I agree with you, Kenoka. It's all about perception. If you THINK a car is luxurious, then it is.

I look more to true values when I shop than to brands and trademarks. But noone is unsensible to marketing (thank God, or I'd be out of a job!)

To me Mazda6 is a luxury car. Because it adds up so great. There may be some (more expensive) cars with better interior detailing, and there are perhaps cars with stronger engines etc. - but the sum of Mazda6 is so incredible.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts