Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a shop near-by that developes cams and cranks. They told me that I could bring by a stock cam and give them a few specs and they could hand me a prototype in a week or so.

Now it is a fact that the cams will ONLY increase the amount of time in which the air will be allowed into the chamber during the intake stroke. This leads me to believe that we should have limited worries about roasting any valves with an extended induction of air. This should theoretically lean out the motor and aid in engine cooling.

Thoughts, comment, insights...

·
Registered
820 Posts
i agree, turbo cams are TOTALLY different the high performance na cams. so homework needs to be done to try to maximize flow for our cars.

·
Registered
856 Posts
My only thought on this is complications with the direct injection cycle.
Maybe I am the only one not educated enough on DISI to think this.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Cams can alter lift as well. You can change intake or exhaust, diffrent grinds can alter duration and lift of the valvetrain.

The only reason why you would need cams right now is if you have a huge turbo and you want to make it breathe better up top. Depending on how agressive you want to get cams may necessitate stronger valve springs as well.

Cams have nothing to do with leaning anything out or roasting valves or letting the engine run cooler thats all in the fuel/air/ignition tuning. Cams alter the powerband of the vehicle. If you get a more agressive grind you trade low end for top end power.

Right now the stock turbo on this car isnt coming close to overwhelming the stock valvetrain.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cams is probably one of the last mods this car needs and would do little with the stock turbo.
[/b]
I disagree. I have a feeling that an extended induction of air would be very benificial, espetially if used in conjuction with a fuel controller.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cams can alter lift as well. You can change intake or exhaust, diffrent grinds can alter duration and lift of the valvetrain.

The only reason why you would need cams right now is if you have a huge turbo and you want to make it breathe better up top. Depending on how agressive you want to get cams may necessitate stronger valve springs as well.

Cams have nothing to do with leaning anything out or roasting valves or letting the engine run cooler thats all in the fuel/air/ignition tuning. Cams alter the powerband of the vehicle. If you get a more agressive grind you trade low end for top end power.

Right now the stock turbo on this car isnt coming close to overwhelming the stock valvetrain.
[/b]
Theoretically, they should. Since the fuel is not injected through the valves, the cams should ONLY effect the air in the cylinder and the rate of exhaust. And, a bad set of cams can burn out your valves if the motor hasn't been tuned for them. Since this is a prototype, it'll have to start at stock tuning settings and go from there.

·
Registered
851 Posts
i would invest money else where. the potential for problems could be great given the advanced nature of this engine.

·
Registered
820 Posts
someones gotta do it first! that's the whole part of being in the scene for a new car. This is a fairly exotic engine, there needs to be trailblazers.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will most likely do a set now (mild but an improvement) that will better utilize the stock turbo. Then, next year (after it's sporting a GT30R) design some new ones that will accomidate the bigger turbo. I will be doing the shop drawings myself in order to get the copywrite in my name. Once proper testing is done (which will include removal of the cams and valves to inspect for damage or excess wear after about 10k or so), I will be getting the shop to produce more for distribution. Don't inquire price yet as we they haven't even seen what they are working with here and we are still many many weeks away from a complete product, but rest assured, I am taking this very seriously as I do with any project, and there will be high quality in this. Any suggestions on what you would like to see out of a set of cams that I'm sure will be several hundred dollars (ballpark) will be taken into consideration.

Thanks again,
-Andy

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
The OEM cams are forged are they not?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I just have to believe that bang for the buck wise this is going to be a disapointing mod for bolt on cars with off the shelf EM. That being said, I would focus your development on high boost high RPM applications, I think your market will be to the heavily modded dyno hungry guys as one of the later modification, cams can realistically net 20 HP max and remain civil.... for the price of cams and ease of instal there are plenty of othr mods netting = gains with less cost and easier installation.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i'd have to double check, but MarcyMotorport has a tool to adjust cam gears, this might be a small thing to try down the line for some as well.

·
Registered
561 Posts
i agree with big ben. cams are pretty far into the mod path being that most people dont know how or dont want to pull the head off their brand new speed6. also too aggresssive of a grind can make the idle very rough. i do think that this can easily get about 20-30whp from a dyno matched intake and exhaust cam (remember its a dual overhead cam engine). best of luck to you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts