Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I'm having an issue with my left turn signal not working. Bulbs and housing are fine, but the left turn signal stopped working. At first it was an intermittent problem, now it stopped working completely. Right side is fine, functions normally. When I turn on the hazards, or lock/unlock the car, only the right side works. Fuses are good, checked them. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both. Get nothing when I push down the stalk. Same thing when I turn on the hazards, nothing on the drivers side, but passenger side works fine

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever get an answer? I had the same problem. my shop said they fixed it but didn't, so I rolled up my sleeves.
Problem turned out to be in the socket - there is a grounding terminal that touches the side of the bulb. Mine had either worn or burned away from contacting the bulb, there was a slight discoloration there. I gently bent the terminal back into the socket, toward the bulb, making sure it had contact. I also sanded the the edge of the terminal VERY slightly to remove corrosion, and then cleaned it all up with DeOxIt electronics cleaner. Works great now.
Couple of things: I think it worked at the shop because they had put dielectric grease in there. I'm sure that grease made a temporary connection, which later failed as the grease moved around.
Next, There is a TSB about this, but it seems to concern the terminals at the base of the socket - they also can come disconnected from where they are supposed to be apparently because of a lack of pressure. The Mazda fix is to insert silicone spacers behind them, supplied in a Mazda kit. and they are quite delicate so be careful if that's your problem and you try to fix them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks bdplaid. No other feedback from the forum yet.

I appreciate your post, and I'm definitely going to check the sockets again. When I was trouble shooting, I had switched the complete socket assembly from the passenger side (front) to the driver's side, and still no luck. Going to check the rear socket more closely, as I can't switch those.

I'm thinking it's a ground issue somewhere. Not sure how to find that though....

A friend of mine suggested it may be the turn signal switch, and the only issue I have with that theory is that they don't work when the hazards are on, or when I lock/unlock the car. Not sure if the turn signal switch would affect that as well. It started off as an intermittent problem, and then finally stopped all together, so maybe it is the switch....

Thanks again for your post!

I'll update once it is figured out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Did you ever get an answer? I had the same problem. my shop said they fixed it but didn't, so I rolled up my sleeves.
Problem turned out to be in the socket - there is a grounding terminal that touches the side of the bulb. Mine had either worn or burned away from contacting the bulb, there was a slight discoloration there. I gently bent the terminal back into the socket, toward the bulb, making sure it had contact. I also sanded the the edge of the terminal VERY slightly to remove corrosion, and then cleaned it all up with DeOxIt electronics cleaner. Works great now.
Couple of things: I think it worked at the shop because they had put dielectric grease in there. I'm sure that grease made a temporary connection, which later failed as the grease moved around.
Next, There is a TSB about this, but it seems to concern the terminals at the base of the socket - they also can come disconnected from where they are supposed to be apparently because of a lack of pressure. The Mazda fix is to insert silicone spacers behind them, supplied in a Mazda kit. and they are quite delicate so be careful if that's your problem and you try to fix them.

Good luck!

Sorry I didn't reply back, but this is what I was going to refer to if it was just the front one. I've had it happen twice now and just bent the contact at the back of the plastic holder out slightly (where I assume they put the spacer from the TSB) and it's resolved it.

Since his issue includes the back one, this may not be the only issue.

Scott

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
****update**** (for anyone interested)

Turns out my issue was the Flasher Control Module, located behind the instrument cluster. Replaced it and now all signals and hazards are working!

Thanks to all who contributed.

Happy New Year!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys I've got a 2005 Mazda 6 that I just recently replaced the flasher control relay behind the gauge cluster. Now whenever I hit the stock on the blinker switch or multi switch as it is none in late model cars I can hear the relay ticking inside the dash, but I'm still not getting any response from the lights on the gauge cluster or on the outside of the car. What can you suggest because as I'm sitting right now money is a bit tight to be taking it into the shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts