Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so pretty much I've been an LED soldering whore for years. I made fully custom LED tailights for my Mustang in 1999 pretty much when an LED was only thought as a computer part.

I've always hated soldering and coming up with my own parts as they just dont last, and when they fail you have none to return them to etc.

So I decided I'd by premade bulbs for this MS6.

Orignally I bought 2 sets of these for the headlights and the rear plate:

I really love these bulbs as they are huge! They fill the headlight hole perfectly and are slightly larger than the OEM light's diameter. But they fit. Now what's very nice about these is the fact that the bulb is massive. It is not a small couple mm bulb covered in in a plastic lense to make it seem larger. It's a large bulb in itself and actually gives off alot of light.

Where I went wrong though was their viewing angle is quite direct. Thus in a headlight they are perfect! They dont make the whole headlight glow. But when placed into the rear plate lights they barely worked. Especially with a smoked plate shield. So I chromed the plastic light housing everywhere except the bottom trying to capture any of the light from the poor viewing angle and direct it at the plate. The slightly helped but still couldnt read the plate, just had a cool glow.

I would not suggest these for an interior as the brightness would be intense only directly below the bulb.

So my solution were these:

These are an ideal brightness, with the way the lights are angled the plate gets illuminated perfectly. And they fit the plastic housings perfectly.

Sorry I have no car pics or links. I dont want it to look like im promoting one persons products over another's. Just check ebay. If you have anyquestions let me know.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
u might want to provide us with the diameter of the product, tips to tips. superbrightleds.com and autolumination.com also sells those kind of bulbs, and they dont fit in our headlight

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
u might want to provide us with the diameter of the product, tips to tips. superbrightleds.com and autolumination.com also sells those kind of bulbs, and they dont fit in our headlight
[/b]
t_mo_t, did you ever buy those flexible LED strips?

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
t_mo_t, did you ever buy those flexible LED strips?
[/b]
.... nope..... no extra cash to fiddle around with... BUT i saw one of those kits when i was back at indonesia a while back, and the quality isnt what i expected... i would say that it looks similar with what autolumination sells... and i think it wouldnt look as nice in a 6 than in a 3, since the 3 has red fresnel lens covering the bulbs, whereas our 6, it's kinda transparent red lens, and if you install those flexible strips, it would be very visible... so i kinda trash the idea....

if you would like to be the lab rat, LET ME KNOW !! ahhaah...

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
.... nope..... no extra cash to fiddle around with... BUT i saw one of those kits when i was back at indonesia a while back, and the quality isnt what i expected... i would say that it looks similar with what autolumination sells... and i think it wouldnt look as nice in a 6 than in a 3, since the 3 has red fresnel lens covering the bulbs, whereas our 6, it's kinda transparent red lens, and if you install those flexible strips, it would be very visible... so i kinda trash the idea....

if you would like to be the lab rat, LET ME KNOW !! ahhaah...
[/b]
Well, we (my buddy and I) are doing a retro on his SRT and ordered these for his front turn signals. I too am waiting to free up some cash to buy some for the wifes Tribby (Tribute) and then after I play with them on her car I will see what we can do on the 6.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
LOL.. good luck man... retro-ing a reflector headlight is a very not easy task, you gotta fg it... it's MUCH harder than our car... or any car with projector headlight...

but let me know how it came out... btw, the flexible strip IMO looks/feels like a transparent garden hose... lol...

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
LOL.. good luck man... retro-ing a reflector headlight is a very not easy task, you gotta fg it... it's MUCH harder than our car... or any car with projector headlight...

but let me know how it came out... btw, the flexible strip IMO looks/feels like a transparent garden hose... lol...
[/b]
I have them here at home and will try to get some pics this weekend. I plan on doing real basic mods not a full retro so should not be that bad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts