Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I thought I would share my most recent mod, LED switchback turn signals I installed today.
I purchased these
LED Switchbacks from eBay since they had the most lit leds I could find. They have 60 Dual Chip White & Amber LEDs. They light up 60 amber and 60 white at a time. I went ahead and took the chance from an eBay seller and Im pretty well pleased how they turned out. The quality of the bulbs is pretty decent. They are very bright even in the daytime and nice led lights up well at night. I think they compliment the low beams nicely too.

Installation was pretty easy although I did have to shave some of the base off with a dremel tool to make the bulb fit. The bulb measured just about right at 2 inches. The light housing allows for a max bulb height of 1 7/8 inch so I didn't have to shave very much off. The bulbs came with a pair of 50w 6 ohm resistors with quick connects which are needed in order to prevent hyperflash.
I mounted the resistors right on the struts above the headlights using double sided tape and connecting one side to a blue wire (or light blue) and the other side to a black ground wire. The wires are easy to get to if you pull back some of the tape connecting them on either side of where the main headlight connector is. The driver side is easy to get to but the passenger side will require you to remove the two screws holding down the coolant reservoir. I wrapped everything with electrical tape when I finished. Heres where I installed them.

Here are some pics in the day...Looks brighter but the picture didnt capture too well here

And then at night...
Only switchbacks on

The camera makes it look more blue at night...

And with oem hid headlights on...

Blinkers...

Added Pictures showing amber signals with OEM HID headlights on

And Here is also a video I made to show in action
----------->
Dual Color Switchback LED Turn Signal Lights on 2009 Mazda 6 - YouTube
Added Video Part 2 showing Amber turn signal with headlights on
Part 2 LED Switchbacks Amber Signal with Headlights on - YouTube
Pics are wonderful and thanks for sharing this useful information about LED Lights

·
Administrator
8,439 Posts
I don't know if a pair of 6ohm resistors will also work for the whole set, but it doesn't hurt to try before going into the hassle of installing resistors in the front.

Change the four bulbs (front and back) and install a pair of resistors in the back. If you're lucky, that's all you'll need. If you still get hyper flash, then you'll probably need a pair of resistors for the front. Also, make sure to press really hard on the quick-connector/splicing things, I thought my resistors were not working until I really pressed hard enough.
No, 6-ohm resistors will not work if you swap LEDs at all 4 corners. When I installed my front LED switchbacks, I ended up buying another set of 6-ohms and piggy-backed them onto the ones I already were using for the rear LEDs. The hyper-blink is gone, and slipping the resistors inside the trunk and behind the liner IMO is much cleaner than under the hood.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Dumb question guys...

Which RED wire are we suppose to tap in to...?

So its either you get a pair of 3 ohm resistors or 4 6 ohm if your doing LED swaps on all 4 corners...
there is no red wire. u tap into the blue wire (signal wire) and the black wire (ground) on the side away from the headlight assembly. So you will be tapping into the wiring harness going to the car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So I installed the rear LED's some time ago with the 6 ohm 50 watt resistor on each side. Also had the switchbacks that wouldn't fit, the top of the LED was too wide even after I sanded it down. So my supplier got me a new set like the ones pictured above, but 120, and all light both white and amber, no extra charge btw. They fit perfect with no grinding of any kind, slipped in like they were meant for the car. Tried them and of course hyperflash. Asked my supplier if he had 3 ohm 50 watt resistors and he didn't so last night I piggybacked the second 6 ohm 50 watt ones I had originally got with the first switchbacks, spliced right in to the wires of the first one. Voila, no more hyperflash and no other odd electrical issues. So for those of you who don't want to mess around under the hood trying to pull enough wire from the tape and assembly which is very tight and difficult, just do it in the trunk where there is lots of room. Be sure to stick them on metal as far away from the liner as they do get very hot. Last thing to do will be 2 LED strips in the trunk which my supplier will put together for me so it's plug-n-play, $30. May do the license plate but in no hurry to do that, rather take the lights out of there all together but that wouldn't be legal.

·
Administrator
8,439 Posts
So for those of you who don't want to mess around under the hood trying to pull enough wire from the tape and assembly which is very tight and difficult, just do it in the trunk where there is lots of room. Be sure to stick them on metal as far away from the liner as they do get very hot.
That's exactly what I did. IMO much easier than cutting into the wiring under the hood, and they're all hidden behind the trunk liner.

Any chance you can share to us your supplier? He/she may get some extra business if they'd like... :)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
^^^ +1

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
whos your supplier? ive been looking into getting these for some time now. but whats the reasoning for putting them in your tails?

·
Administrator
8,439 Posts
whos your supplier? ive been looking into getting these for some time now. but whats the reasoning for putting them in your tails?
I get the impression that he's talking about installing switchbacks in the front, and putting the resistors in back in the trunk.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I get the impression that he's talking about installing switchbacks in the front, and putting the resistors in back in the trunk.
Correct, LEDs in the back, switchbacks in the front, 4 resistors, 2 on each side, located in the trunk, in paralegal, I looked under the hood at the wire harness and thought there had to be a better way. I get my oil changed at the dealer, what if buddy notices the strange gold thing with red wires. There goes the warranty. If you can get 2, 3 ohm 50 watt resistors with 4 lights do it, even easier. I have told my guy he should get the 3 obm's and sell the package that way, I'm sure every new car has wiring just as tight under the hood. Only problem, when I drove today I realized my DRLs make the new LEDs look not so good, removed the DRL fuse but of course now I have no high beam... The HIDs on the '12 are so good I rarely use high beam.

I live close to this guy in the GTA Ontario so I can pick up, no idea about mail but he says most of his clients are in the US. Names Jacky, good guy.

ExtremeBrightLEDs.com - Automotive LEDs and HIDs with the best Warranty in the market!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Did this tonight. Works perfect! Gaaahhhhhh so glad I found this thread! :D

Just need to find a better way of mounting to the metal..

BTW I'm using 4x 25W 8Ω resistors
So that's the same as using 2, 4 ohm 50 watt, I read 2 to 4 ohm will work. There is one online store that has the 3 ohm 50 watt ones set in an aluminum frame, heat dissipation is the idea, Load Resistors
I think double side tape is fine for mounting.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Im highly considering this

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

21 - 40 of 50 Posts