Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have had extra time in the evenings and wanted to do some simple mods to my '14 Mazda 6. I started with installing the OEM fog lights which I discussed a while back but lately I have swapped license plate, trunk lid lights and full interior to LED. Also LED's for the DRL's. Once the interior was finished it looks great day and night. What I don't understand though are these companies selling kits for like $60. I was able to do the above stated LED mods besides the DRL's for like $15. I don't care what people say, eBay is my friend and I haven't been let down yet. If I can get some good pics I will post.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Newbie to the forums here. I just swapped out my OEM interior bulbs, and it definitely makes a difference. I also want to swap out the license plate bulbs, but I have trouble getting to the bulb. The owners manual says to pry it off from the outside, but I feel like I'm going to break the plastic cover. Any help on getting to the license plate bulbs? Thank you!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Recently I have had extra time in the evenings and wanted to do some simple mods to my '14 Mazda 6. I started with installing the OEM fog lights which I discussed a while back but lately I have swapped license plate, trunk lid lights and full interior to LED. Also LED's for the DRL's. Once the interior was finished it looks great day and night. What I don't understand though are these companies selling kits for like $60. I was able to do the above stated LED mods besides the DRL's for like $15. I don't care what people say, eBay is my friend and I haven't been let down yet. If I can get some good pics I will post.
Can you possibly post a link to the interior led lights you purchased? I havent been able to find them at that price.thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Newbie to the forums here. I just swapped out my OEM interior bulbs, and it definitely makes a difference. I also want to swap out the license plate bulbs, but I have trouble getting to the bulb. The owners manual says to pry it off from the outside, but I feel like I'm going to break the plastic cover. Any help on getting to the license plate bulbs? Thank you!
You can go in from the inside or the out. I found that after going from the inside and still having to pop off the plastic cover that it is much easier to get a small flat head screwdriver and just pry off the cover carefully from one side. I found that it requires a flatter bulb than a long narrow bulb because there is not much space.

·
Registered
32 Posts
what kind of leds are for the DRL? also why did you change them? I thought they were leds. I just ordered the license plate ones and the domes, what are the wedged ones you mentioned for?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what kind of leds are for the DRL? also why did you change them? I thought they were leds. I just ordered the license plate ones and the domes, what are the wedged ones you mentioned for?
The wedge ones work for the courtesy lights in the door, the glove box, exterior side markers. The drl's on the non GT models are not LED so they put off yellow white that bothered me. I put in some HB3 led replacements. The only draw back is not having a usable high beam anymore.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Has anyone replaced their trunk light yet? I can't seem to find a straight answer as to the type of bulb it is haha. And that, aside from the license plate lights, was one that was bothering me most (too dim...)

·
Registered
32 Posts
today I changed the bulbs to led for the dome/ map, glove box, courtesy lights and license plate lights. I used the leds bugguy suggested. the covers came off easy but the stock bulbs are hot and were a pain to take out of the doors. the dome led is dimmer than stock but are nice and modern looking. here's some pics

·
Super Moderator
17,309 Posts
MUCH nicer than pee yellow that comes stock :)

And yes, I remember the courtesy lights (door) being a royal pain to take out because they are incredibly hot. I ended up using needle nose pliers with a t-shirt around the bulb to pull them out. In retrospect, I probably should have just unplugged the battery and waited a minute. :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I pulled out the trunk bulb and it is some tiny wedge bulb that I did not recognize. I was replacing my reverse lights to LED so that was my priority. I think I'll pull the bulb again and see if I can find a match online.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Adding my 2 cents here. I have tried many types and brands of LED bulbs for many years and I find that I just cant beat the VLED brand no matter what I try out. VLED is not a cheap brand and cost is high but the description on the color and output is always spot on. The bulb type and quality is top notch by far. And I never have any failures or problem with the LEDs I buy from them. I have used all these LEDS in 5 cars now and still no issues ever. The only other brand of LED I have bought that is also a great choice ( 2nd place) is Autoillumination. Super Bright LED .com is my 3rd choice. I attend SEMA and CES every year for work but I also stay on top of what is going on with LEDs and the automotive applications.

For some pix and info on my mazda 6 search my name here and see what I mean by the quality and the color matching of the VLEDs I use. I wish they had coupon codes more often as they are very expensive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Has anyone replaced their trunk light yet? I can't seem to find a straight answer as to the type of bulb it is haha. And that, aside from the license plate lights, was one that was bothering me most (too dim...)
I did mine, I cant believe mazda used that bulb for a trunk light. I simple removed the bulb and stuck 2 wire pins in the socket to connect a silicone LED light bar strip that I had laying around that is meant for use as a DRL In the headlights like all the Ricers do. This way when I sell the car I just pull the 2 wire pins out of the bulb socket and insert the bulb back in. The LED strip I used for the trunk worked so perfect as it added even light across the whole trunk. Simple 3M tap holds it to the under deck, fast ,simple, and nice looking job.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Swapped out my bulbs.

one thing i never noticed was that my glove box light never actually worked. New led is in and its still not lighting. Will look into that tomorrow.

one thing i couldnt pop off were the license plate light covers. Christ i felt like they were gunna snap! For those that did, you just used a flat head? Did you go from the sides?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Swapped out my bulbs.

one thing i never noticed was that my glove box light never actually worked. New led is in and its still not lighting. Will look into that tomorrow.

one thing i couldnt pop off were the license plate light covers. Christ i felt like they were gunna snap! For those that did, you just used a flat head? Did you go from the sides?
For the license plate light covers I used a flat head wrapped with a clothe and popped them off from the left side of the cover. They are thick plastic and were fine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts