Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Ive been thru a few diff brands of LED bulbs. I put them in my parking lights, they burn out(twice now). I put them in my license plate lights, they dim out(once)
Whos got really good quality LED's. I ask opinions here because all the googling I did I didnt like what I was reading. I did a forum search but the LED quality discussion didnt come up that I could find. Thanks

B

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Stop putting LEDs without heatsinks in the parking lights. They're burning out because they get too hot.

Buy from autolumination.com or superbrightleds.com. Both of them carry a warranty for their products. It's voided if you put the bulbs in the parking lights, but other than that, you're covered.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Freak4Dell @ Jan 22 2010, 08:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1631628
Stop putting LEDs without heatsinks in the parking lights. They're burning out because they get too hot.

Buy from autolumination.com or superbrightleds.com. Both of them carry a warranty for their products. It's voided if you put the bulbs in the parking lights, but other than that, you're covered.[/b]

Hey thanks for the info

B

·
Registered
698 Posts

Buy from autolumination.com or superbrightleds.com. Both of them carry a warranty for their products. It's voided if you put the bulbs in the parking lights, but other than that, you're covered.
HOLY FLIPPIN' THREAD REVIVAL, yea yea yea, I know.... At least I didn't make a new thread, so don't bite my head off... This is the first one I found going back in time on the 1st gen exterior mod list.(no delorean needed)

I learned the over heating LED parking light problem the hard way two sets of 194s later.

My question is, why is the headlight housing so hot? I only use my high beams(Sylvania Silverstars) to flash people, so they're only on for a maximum of 10 seconds per ride, if that....

I have 8k HIDs in the low beam, are they the cause of melting LEDs?

Is the engine heat traveling forward in some kind of weird unexplainable(by me) mishap?

I am thinking that these headlight bezels are like pizza delivery boy(or gal) bags and trap in heat from the sun and bulbs all day...

Someone please enlighten me, or gimme a link to a thread where this is explained?

In the mean time I am experimenting with some crazy 194s. They're like nothing I've ever seen anyone use here, or seen on any LED store linked on this site.... You guessed it I bought them on eBay, but instead of having the usual 22 & 1/2 leds jammed onto some thing that barley fits inside the hole in our headlight bezels(I will now refer to these as the icecream cone style LEDs), It has two(seemingly brighter) strategically placed (heatsinkless)LEDs, Which do an excellent job of lighting up the highbeam housing, and not projecting any forward light(which I favor). And unlike the 'icecream cone' shaped LED unit, this unit goes in the female connector firmly and stays in when removing the female stalk from the bezel(haha, female stalk), preventing Albertngoo's mishap with his icecream cones.

For Albertngoo reference, clicky-clicky....
http://forum.mazda6club.com/mazda6-atenza/238963-auuuuuuggggggghhhhhhhhh-im-so-stupid-augh.html

So far these have held up the 20 mins I ran the HIDs and them together in my cold(not moved all day) car. I should also mention that its been a somewhat cool day in the Texas desert, about 75 degrees when I installed them. I should mention that my past icecream cones didn't last one minute without either going our or turning into a discotec...

Hoping I just bought my last pair of parking light 194s.. But in the meantime of this trial (hopefully not error), can someone provide a link to the ones they're using thats lasted a fair amount of time?

By the way, please excuse my spelling, grammar and stupidity throughout this post. Also don't rag on my excessive use of '()'.:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts