Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been some talk on LED brightness, well since I am still too poor to afford any and take pictures, I decided to take pictures of some LEDs I already had, namely in my computer, to show you the typical brightness of them. I took them at varying light levels to give you a good idea:

Most of the automotive bulbs are 4-LED and some 9-LED, these are single LEDs each, so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Replying to Topic 'LED Brightness'

Where are the LEDs located? The only LED I remember in my desktop is on the network card, but that was years ago.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Reading Topic: LED Brightness

Those are some bright LEDs...I think the latest and brightest is the "luxeon", but couldn't find any that were made for auto applications yet, so far only in flashlights. The next brightest are the 5mm Nichia type. I think they what most bright LEDs are made of today. And then there's the older type LEDs that are used as indicator lights on things from laptops to cellphones and computers. The LEDs above definitely are bright. You sure there's only 1 of them in there?

·
Registered
204 Posts

Is that LED's or Neons? Led's are not this bright. And as I read elsewhere, LED's do not actuatully give you more brightness. Only nicer look, instant on/off, they don't heat up, longer life, and crisper look.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Those are LEDs on mine, although you can clearly see the cold cathode on the door. If those are not LEDs, then those are some funky bulb-shaped neons... :)

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Ofcourse there are LEDs this bright. There are blue LEDs so bright they are like flashlights...

I have a decoration light in my office, it has seven blue LEDs and it lights up the entire office when I turn off regular light. Pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts

I, in fact, have an LED flashlight, super white, 5 LEDs on the light, 120ft effective range, light can be seen 2 miles away. Greatr little light, only about 5 inches (12.7cm) long, one (2.5cm) in diameter. Can rolls a two meteric ton car over it and it'll be ok, as well you can submerse it up to 150ft. The LEDs are good to last 12 straight years of burn time too. Comes with a handy belt loop carrying case too :)

·
Registered
70 Posts

With all these cool LED applications, you'd think they would come up with something better for cars...

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by Mazda_Gremlyn

I, in fact, have an LED flashlight, super white, 5 LEDs on the light, 120ft effective range, light can be seen 2 miles away. Greatr little light, only about 5 inches (12.7cm) long, one (2.5cm) in diameter. Can rolls a two meteric ton car over it and it'll be ok, as well you can submerse it up to 150ft. The LEDs are good to last 12 straight years of burn time too. Comes with a handy belt loop carrying case too :)[/b]
I have a miniature LED flashlight in my key chain. One LED only. It's great to have there.

·
Registered
268 Posts

leds are fairly bright, I have a 2 aa single led flashlight that will burn your eyes out if you look into the beam (obviously you wouldnt though) but it is better than a standard bulb, just not as big overall coverage for light but rather more focused and intense and definitely longer lasting. maybe they will be in car headlights one day to replace HID??

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by Punter

leds are fairly bright, I have a 2 aa  single led flashlight that will burn your eyes out if you look into the beam (obviously you wouldnt though) but it is better than a standard bulb, just not as big overall coverage for light but rather more focused and intense and definitely longer lasting. maybe they will be in car headlights one day to replace HID??[/b]
Not too likely, cause of frequency range and illumination. You need maaaaany LEDs to replace an HID...

·
Registered
70 Posts

I think luxeon LEDs have the possibility of replacing headlights. They're supposedly 10 times brighter than regular bright LEDs. I couldn't find any place that sold these LEDs for auto applications yet though.

·
Registered
94 Posts

I work/am studying in the lighting industry. Yes, luxeon LEDs are one of the brands that are currently vying for the highest intensity. There are applications where LEDs are being used as the sole light source for rooms. As for white LEDs I believe they are all just a variation of blue that appears to the human eye as nearly white. They have really come a long way to getting them to seem truly white to the eye.

Check out this site to see the sate of the art in LED lighting. I have seen another company's product that is an interior flood light based on this technology.
http://www.lumileds.com/luxeon/products/pr...ucts_index.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
DJ_Atenza
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing