Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
I Have the same exact things on my steering wheel, except its randomly spotted all over the wheel. I too thought i was paint dots. since its not a critical issue i haven't bothered to ask the dealer about it
Thanks for posting... so this seems to be a defect. My car is only 8 mos old. This is unacceptable to me. If anybody else is experiencing this.. please post. I will try to get a picture of mine. This can only get worse.. I will be bringing this up with the dealer... I want a new wheel !!!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
any particular brand of cleaner you guys have been using on the wheel? I haven't touched mine with chemicals and it's fine *shrug*

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
If I'm treating leather care products (which almost always produces shiny, slippery results) on the interior, one thing to leave out is the steering wheel. For safety reasons (of course), one needs not to elaborate. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
916 Posts
Thanks for posting... so this seems to be a defect. My car is only 8 mos old. This is unacceptable to me. If anybody else is experiencing this.. please post. I will try to get a picture of mine. This can only get worse.. I will be bringing this up with the dealer... I want a new wheel !!!
looked online and this issue seems to happen on other leather steering wheels too. i grabbed some pics for comparison's sake and visual learners

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
That's bizarre; it looks like some sort of bleaching due to chemical contact due to how localized it is. Yeah, that would bother me.

·
Registered
218 Posts
any particular brand of cleaner you guys have been using on the wheel? I haven't touched mine with chemicals and it's fine *shrug*
I have had several cars with leather and leather steering wheels... have never used or needed any chemicals... all i have ever done is just wipe down...never an issue..these white spots just appeared one day..very strange..and the fact that another owner states same means something. I keep all my cars immaculate.. so i know this has not been caused by something on my hands...hope this helps to clarify. Really sucks..i cant stop staring at it...

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
As I remember, these white spots (same on my old ride with almost silvery-like on Passat, also with black leather steering and interior) seems to have originated with something I had handled at one point. Apparently, I noticed these spots were even present on my black Tiptronic gear knob, the black leather hand brake lever and some on the left door leather arm rest and grab handle. None though on the leather seats nor other black leather or vinyl surfaces of the interior.I do not have these spots when my car was barely new then and I was on top of frequently wiping clean of everything my hand touches inside the car's interior constantly (same cleaning method as I do now on the M6)...But as the car got older (and therefore less "attention" on care , I'd admit), then these spots started to appear. It got stuck and ignored it (since the car was old) and it stayed...till I traded it in, for this car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use Lexol cleaner and Lexol conditioner on my steering wheels. Doesn't make them shiny or slippery. If anything it make the wheel more grippy. I do the same on my Vette and my wife's CX-9 and BMW vert. The vert really needs protection as it gets the most sun.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah my 2015 mazda 6 has some ripples from the sun beating on it and what not. I'm going to ask my service advisor and see if it's covered on warranty

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
20 Participants
jdmtai
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing