Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I know it's a personal preference, but what do you have? Do you have leather and love it, or hate it and wish you got cloth instead? Vice versa, people with cloth interior, do you wish you had sprung more $$ for the leather instead? If you have small baby, which would be easier to clean (off the baby food and 'accidents'? Or just scotch guard the fabric? Hot weather folks...does the leather get really hot? Any one has serious wrinkles yet?

Thanks again...:)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Reading Topic: Leather or cloth?

I have the leather and have no regrets. I like the 'classy" feel and look of leather. As for the quality of it, again no complaints. Its probably not top notch leather but I could care less as long as its not "pleather" feelings or looking .. which it definitely isnt.

Either cloth or leather has its drawbacks of course and really it is a matter of preference.

Leather would be easier to clean liquid off of and wouldnt require any kind of protective scotch guard type thing. I haven't been parked in extremely hot weather yet but I'm sure it'll get hot when shined on.

No wrinkles yet here .. then again I only have 500 miles on the car

·
Registered
301 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Leather or cloth?'

I am looking to get a 6 later this year, and I will pick cloth over leather as a matter of preference, not price.

What products are good to use to protect from spills, etc.?

·
Registered
207 Posts

My last car had grey cloth interior and no matter how often I vacuumed, dust and lint would always collect on the dash.

I've got the 6S sport package with black leather now. The interior does get warm, but I open the moonroof and the windows and all that heat just escapes from the car. This week is supposed to reach 80 degrees in the Northeast, so I'll get a better idea of what summer will be like.

No white-powder seen on my seats yet....though I'm checking every day...

·
Registered
111 Posts

I've had my 6 since late January, got around 6200 miles on it so far.

The leather does give the car a really nice, classy feeling.

It gets crazy hot in the sun, but i've since started to use a sunshade, so it's all good now.

mine is starting to get a few minor wrinkles, but it still looks great.

another nice thing is, because of the way the seats are designed, i don't find myself sliding around on them no matter how fast i take turns! :)

hope that helps some!

·
Registered
341 Posts

I used to hate leather, thought it was a waste of money for something that was harder to take care of and got hot/cold in weather. After my 2000 Taurus SES with leather (only one on the lot with a moonroof, had to have a moonroof); I fell in love with it. It starts out hot/cold in the weather, but if settles to your body temp pretty quick (a LOT quicker than pleather); and the seat warmers were indispensible this winter! Although, I don't necessarily agree with DBo about liquid being easier to clean off. This is perferated leather and has little pin holes in it to allow it to breathe, and liquid would just seep through these holes and into the cushioning. It shouldn't stain it though. I'm just concerened about odor in that case. Juices might start to smell funny if they soaked into the cushioning. But then, they're gauranteed to soak into cloth! As for scotch guard, I was under the impression it was taken off the market because it is a carcinagin (Sp?). Or maby they just labelled like they do cigarettes. Either way, I wouldn't use it with children going to be in the car regularly. And lastly, my black interior collects lint like crazy on the dash and door panels, so I keep a swiffer in the center console to battle that problem.

Good luck, and I hope this helps more than confuses!

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

No white-powder seen on my seats yet....though I'm checking every day...[/b]
Wishful thinking that someone might leave you something there?...sniff... :D

·
Registered
541 Posts

Madjoe....good Idea with the Swiffer duster. I never thought of that. I have the black interior too, and the dust shows up pretty easily.

·
Registered
117 Posts

This is my first leather car. I worried mostly about summer temperatures as I'd heard complaints about sizzling leather seats.

Well, I don't regret getting leather not for a moment. Besides the fact that the leather seats have more support and firmness (that I like) they don't get too warm. I think that there are two reasons: it is perforated leather + windows in my 6 have nice tint on them.

Surprisingly my Altima with beige velour interior gets much hotter than the 6 with black leather after standing on the sun for the same period of time :cheers

BTW, I really like the smell of leather in the 6 (compared to leather in other cars).

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Does cloth interior generate more statics? In my old VW Jetta's velour interior, I'd get zapped like crazy in those dry winter days.

·
Registered
146 Posts

I'm an animal rights guy so its always cloth for me. I didn't getr the Acura TSX cause it only came in leather, same with the Saab. I have cloth in my new silver 6i and I couldnt be happier.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

worry about wringkling leather? just go and get new leather n trims :D
i like leather a lot. same with most ppl, leather gives the 'luxury' view of the car.but unfortunately, the 6's chussions aren't as comfie as audi A6 although they are both '6' lol :D
go leather!!!

·
Registered
656 Posts

I was going to get the leather but, I didn't want to pay for the comfort package. I don't need seat warmers in AZ. I love leather in a car and would have got it if it had been a single option and not a group thing. The cloth seats are very nice though. I like the way the material feels and they are nice and firm. The only thing I don't like is that lint sticks to them. Plus I can always go after market leather if I want.

·
Registered
30 Posts

The best way to chose is to test drive both. See which feels most comfortable and will suit your needs best
Either way your on a winner
Personally, I went for the leather and coudnt be happier

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

Leather is the way to fly with kids, it cleans off so much easier, just keep some leather wipes handy and I just dont give it a chance to go through the pin holes. Wifes seats look brand new (non perforated) and her cars a year old, and the baby rides w/ her more than me, took about ten minutes to clean. And not to be gross, but backsweat is greatly reduced, for me a least, with leather (believe me it becomes a concern while job hunting ;)

·
Registered
850 Posts

Anyone have leather and a dog? I got Leather interior, and while I plan on carting my dog in my other car, he is a good dog and I am not worried about accidents, just scratchs. Any advice?

·
Registered
878 Posts

Originally posted by Cachetes

Anyone have leather and a dog? I got Leather interior, and while I plan on carting my dog in my other car, he is a good dog and I am not worried about accidents, just scratchs. Any advice?[/b]
Ducktape his feet first :p

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

Originally posted by Cachetes

Anyone have leather and a dog? I got Leather interior, and while I plan on carting my dog in my other car, he is a good dog and I am not worried about accidents, just scratchs. Any advice?[/b]
Buy one of those car seat covers made for dogs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts