Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a 6 soon and am trying to decide if I want leather or not. My wife does not like leather, especially when it comes to children. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Reading Topic: Leather Interior + Small Children

In some ways leather would be better I think. Like stain resistance.

·
Registered
980 Posts

I dont see how having leather seats could be bad for children in the car. What were your wife's reasons?

·
Registered
262 Posts

Maybe what he meant was that children are more likely to mess up the leather seats by poking them or writing on them or whatever. Granted, children can do that on cloth seats, but then again you're not paying $1000 extra for cloth seats...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I think your biggest problem will be food and drink spills, or god forbid, car sickness. Plan to get 'em scotchguarded and you should be fine.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replying to Topic 'Leather Interior + Small Children'

Maybe what he meant was that children are more likely to mess up the leather seats but poking them or writing on them or whatever. Granted, children can do that on cloth seats, but then again you're not paying $1000 extra for cloth seats...[/b]
I think that is her main point. They are likely to get messed up anyway, it would be better to not have paid more for them.

I am not sure, I have not been in one with cloth, I guess it would be cool if the cloth sets are the same supportivness as the leather.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Small Children = Child Car Seats
Child Car Seat = Scratchs and Perm. Imprints in the Cushions.

And if you are thinking of the Sport, black leather is way too hot with kids.

Experence from two grown kids of my own and two grandchildren.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Those are good points. I remember as a child, we had black leather in our family's car. It was awful. In the summer they like burned your ass off and made you hot and carsick. And in the winter, it was like sitting on an icecube.

I'd go for cloth and put on a top cloth above that to protect.

What you also must consider is protection of the rear side of the front seats. Mud on boots have a tendency of making that part of the car look unpleasant in a while...

And another thing: keep your car tidy. If you do that, children listen when you say "please be careful with our family car and don't stain it. It's the only car we have, and we must all protect it".

Children don't do what you say, they do what you do.

·
Registered
315 Posts

I guess it depends on how well behaved your children are and/or how well you teach then to behave. If you're giving them pens and pencils to use in the car, well, you're asking for trouble.

If you like the leather so that you can enjoy it from time to time when you and your wife may get a chance to get out alone, then why not buy the leather? The kids will grow up and one day they'll be able to enjoy the leather seating as well. There are nice seat covers that you can use to cover the leather. I like the new streatchable kind which is like a neoprene and lycra. Looks good and can be treatd against water and such. You only need to do the back seats.
That way on the times when you can get time for yourselves you may want to go out with friends and then you can use the leather back seats.

Just some suggestions. It may or may not work for you.
I would however not allow crayons, pens, pencils, etc... in the car PERIOD, even if I had cloth.

I like leather, it breathes nicely. I find it's not hot in summer and it warms very quickly in winter very UNLIKE vinyl which is hot, sticky, and can be cold and crisp. :)

Tome

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Hmmm...it seems as though the consensous is leaning against leather. I am in a similar situation, and was thinking that leather would be much easier to keep clean than cloth.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Keeping things tidy and not eating or drinking in the car is not a problem, niether is having well behaved children. The child seat thing scares me with leather as well. I am leaning towards cloth, I have cloth in my current car (98 Mustang GT); I like them more than the ones I have been in with leather. Plus cloth is cheaper.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Agree with Steve. And even if the seat is not hot when you park your behind in it, the air might be hot, and you sweat like hell on those things. THey don't bread at all :/ When I was in the army, we had some leather chairs (worn, VERY worn :)) in our TV-room, and if you come back in from the hot weather it was nice to sit in them and cool down. For like... 5 minutes. Then the seats where warm and wet :) Yukk!

·
Registered
980 Posts

I don't like leather seats anyways, way too slippery for my liking. Plus like you guys said it does get way too hot in the summer time. I must admit though, they do look nice and classy.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Leather Interior + Small Children'

for kid the puke just wipes up and for other thing you use the back seat for to it will just wipe up the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Leather Interior + Small Children'

My wife and I where expecting triplets 2 years ago and started to look for a minivan. Her sister had a Honda Odyssey with leather and two car seats. This is why when we bought our van we got leather. Even when we took the car seats out of her van to clean it. The leather was in perfect condition. No marks or dents from the car seats. Just a little leather cleaner and just like new. Under the car seats she had these rubber mats, they almost could pass for floor mats. But they had kid stuff all over them. I would suggest you put these under any child saftey seat. And yes I have leather in my 6 an would not have it any other way. One more thing have you ever smelled a baby formula soaked shirt. Think about a baby formula soaked cloth seat. Just my $.02

·
Registered
119 Posts

I have the leather, two young children and our oz summers get a tad warmish ! (like up to 40c/100f "warm")
I would have nothing but GOOD QUALITY leather with the above combo.
Cleans easily without staining, breathes, actually is quite cool in summer IMHO and just adds a touch of class to an already great product.

·
Registered
315 Posts

I'm with you Pearl. I find leather does "breathe" more so than vinyl. Vinyl is the stuff I remember that was hot and sticky and aweful. Leather is a natural product and heats quickly in winter, especially with seat heaters, and cools quickly in summer. At least that is my experience.
As far as sliding around, I don't have that. It would be nice if they had an alcantara/suede option for the sport seats which could be half leather and hald alcantara. That would allow easy exit and good grip for hard cornering. For me, full leather isn't a problem.

I find leather is easier to get in to the car and easier to get out as it doesn't "grip" your clothes like cloth. That's why I like the half cloth half leather seats too.

Tome

·
Registered
20 Posts
With a little prep, it's the BEST option in my mind.

I have (2) kids, 4&2 yrs. repectively. We also own a Tahoe with all leather.

Now, I was way paranoid at first, but after numerous spills, puke sessions, etc, I am so glad I chose leather!!!

Here is why:

1. Leather is 'tanned' with H2O. Thus, wather actually cannot HURT it, if you don't allow it to 'soak' for long peroids of time. Also, there are some awesome products to help you take care of leather. (As a previous owner of a Audi S4, this was key!) www.carcareonline.com is a awesome car care site, and they are EXTREMELY helpful on all aspects of car care, including leather maintainance.

2. I found a seat cover thingy at Target. It is bacially a felt lined cover, with a nylon insert to prevent seepage if you spill on it that sits on top of the bench seat, with some nice mesh pockets that hang over the front of the seat. I think it was about $10, and it big enough for the Tahoe, so would be perfect for the 6. This one has a edge with a sewed in raised insert that you slide into the slot created by the bottom and back of the rear set. I then have the car seats on top of this. WORKS AWESOME!!!!

3. Here is an idea if your REAL anal like I am. Child seats are quite 'straight' on the back support, where a car seat actually tapers inward away from the lower spine (if your sitting in the seat itself). To secure a seat you need to really puch the kids seat into the seat and tighten the belt, which can cause 'depressions' or 'wrinkles' in the leather. Here is what I did.

a. Bought (2) cheap black terry cloth towels.
b. Bought a strip of foam padding, about 1" thick from a local upolstery shop, I think I paid $3 for this.
c. Had the Mother In Law sew the towel like a pillow cushion, inserted the pad and presto... I have a pad that protects the seat leather! If they get dirty, pull out the pad and wash the towel!

Total cost, maybe $15.

Overall, witha little attention, leather is the way to go. Personally I love Pinnicle products (available at CConline... above); and Lexol is great as well and easily available at Target, KMart or ANY Kragen/Schuckers/AutoZone etc.

One final thing... if you do a little homework, you can actually increase the suppleness of your leather with proper washing and conditioning. It takes me an additional 20 minutes maybe once a month (In SoCal by the ocean, so I deal with heat and salty air); but my seats are like butter!!!!

and another... if your going with a new child seat, check out the one by Recaro.. it's is pricy but man is that thing built solid and easy to clean!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts