Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, here's what I was thinking. I'm thinking that what I could do (if I do feel that I want either AWD or a hatchback) is lease a 6 sedan for like 12 to 24 months and then after turning it in, buy a 6 with AWD. AWD is really the only thing that I wish the 6 had right now as I don't think the hatchback is a MUST HAVE, but the AWD really has a pretty important use, especially in the SNOW! :eek: (Note location. ;))

·
Registered
105 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Lease, wait, get right 6 and buy?'

IMO, AWD or 4WD is grossly overated. I think that it leads to more accidents and problems than is prevents/solves.

The main problem is that drivers with AWD think that they have more control but in reality, they don't. AWD has better traction (and that's a good thing) but they have the same steering and braking ability as 2WD. Consequently, many AWD drivers drive like idiots in the snow and wet weather and wind up crashing into things or running off the road because they can't stop!!

In my opinion, if the roads are bad enough that you need to have AWD to get around, you probably should not be out on the roads in the first place

Furthermore, AWD is heavier, more fuel consuming, expensive to purchase (and maintain).

Below is a link to an article that talks about SUV's but covers much of the same points.

http://www.torontostar.com/NASApp/cs/Conte...epath=News/News

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Reading Topic: Lease, wait, get right 6 and buy?

SUVs take the cake in snowy weather. All I ever see is flipped over, spun, abandoned SUVs every time it snows down here and that's all you hear about on the news during the traffic reports. Somehow when someone signs the paperwork, purchasing their new Durango, Blazer, or whatever *flavor of the month*, they think they're getting a tank. At least car owners are in touch with their limitations. I've never really heard anything about AWD cars, but they're obscured among the rest of us 2wd'ers.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Simply put...if you don't respect the snow...WHATEVER you're driving...it ain't gonna respect you! :D

·
Registered
683 Posts

Originally posted by NY Mazda6

Simply put...if you don't respect the snow...WHATEVER you're driving...it ain't gonna respect you! :D[/b]
You got that right! Im amazed how many people think that my Truck, or any Truck for that matter handles well in the snow... I HATE driving my truck in the snow! It SUCKS. I got the truck so I could Easily Haul band equipment around....havent been in a band in a while, so I dont use my truck for what I bought it for anymore....time for it to go! LOL

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

If you're stating that AWD or 4WD is overrated because many people have unrealistic expectations about its capabilities, then I agree. Many people with such vehicles drive too fast for conditions and don't realize that traction doesn't equate with stopping power. Unfortunately this holds true for 2WD vehicle drivers as well. Whenever it snows, we see a disproportionate number of SUVs in the ditches. How much of this is driver error, and how much schadenfreude is up to debate. You may pass four Toyota Corollas in the ditch and think nothing of it, but then you see the Bronco in the ditch and say "Hah! 4WD sucks.".

As for the subject at hand: Gecko, there are faster ways of pissing money away than leasing a car, but most of them involve some sort of illegal activity. If at all possible, I would say hold on to your present car. If you can't do that, buy a beater. You can buy a beater for $4000 and sell it two years later for $2000. Net loss: $2000 (plus repairs, but let's assume they're minimal). Lease a car for two years: Let's assume a $350 payment for 24 months. That's $8400. Plus let's say $1600 due at signing for miscellaneous fees and such. That makes a nice round $10,000 you've pissed down a hole. Yes you get to enjoy a nice car for two years, but is it worth it? Only you can answer that question.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I would say a truck definitely buys you clearance for deeper snows, and a little advantage with the 2 extra drive wheels (with 4wd) especially if you get stuck. I could have gotten out yesterday in the snow if I didn't have an Accord.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Originally posted by kenoka

If you're stating that AWD or 4WD is overrated because many people have unrealistic expectations about its capabilities, then I agree.  Many people with such vehicles drive too fast for conditions and don't realize that traction doesn't equate with stopping power.  Unfortunately this holds true for 2WD vehicle drivers as well.  Whenever it snows, we see a disproportionate number of SUVs in the ditches.  How much of this is driver error, and how much schadenfreude is up to debate.  You may pass four Toyota Corollas in the ditch and think nothing of it, but then you see the Bronco in the ditch and say "Hah!  4WD sucks.".  [/b]
You also find that SUVs and trucks seem to forge ahead early in bad weather whereas car drivers may be likely to wait it out a little longer until conditions better. Therefore you might say it's unfairly skewed towards trucks having accidents, but aren't we talking about common sense vs. the idea of invincibility? They're out there in worse conditions because they think their vehicle is immune. Add to that the higher center of gravity and you see them flipping over as opposed to keeping all four on the ground.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

A good point. I think there is a certain group of SUV buyers that think their vehicle can do anything. They hog the road, drive unsafely, and drink espresso and talk on their cell phone while doing it. I rented a Jeep Grand Cherokee while on vacation, and hated hated hated hated it. It was so numb and vague, I couldn't tell where I was on the road. It floated about on its big balloon tires and the suspension was so soft I could feel body roll doing simple lane changes. Yuck! How can anyone feel "safe" riding in an unresponsive behemoth?

·
Registered
315 Posts

AWD is superior in terms of grip and handling. AWD vs. 4wd. Generally AWD means there is a central active differential contected to either an open or LSD front diff. and a rear diff. which usually of a limited slip type (LSD).

AWD gives better traction in dry, wet, or snowy conditions. I feel positive that it's not over rated.
The example that some truck drivers think their 4wd is safe in snow and ice only tells the story of bad drivers, it does not discount the effectiveness of AWD's capability in regards to traction and control.

Audi, Subaru, Mitsubishi demonstrate how a well designed AWD system can enhance overall performance. Other companies like BMW and Mercedes demonstrate their ability to bring a desired product to market without making it perform better.

Full time all the time AWD is the ticket.

Tome

1 - 10 of 10 Posts