Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Mazda 6S with 125,000 miles. Several months ago, my CEL started going on and off at various times. Then the car developed a missfire and the CEL light began to flash. I took it to the dealer for service. They said it had a number of codes, but the one that they thought was the problem was for a bad Purge Valve. They replaced the valve for a little over $300. A few days later the miss reappeared followed by the CEL. I noticed that the miss seemed to primarily appear at lower RMPs (under 2000) and with a slight load on the engine. I took it back. This time they said the code was for a "Lean Fuel Mix". They recommended a tune-up. So they replaced the plugs and air filter and cleaned the throttle body and fuel injectors. $230 later, I got my car back only to have the miss and CEL reapeare within a couple days. Took it back again and the same code came up for a Lean Fuel Mix. This time, they suggested changing both Oxygen Sensors. $300 later, I got my car back. I didn't even make it home before the miss reapeared. No CEL yet, but I only picked the car up last night. I am leaning towards a bad fuel regulator or bad fuel pump. The car doesn ot have a servicable fule filter. Any suggestions on what might be causing the problem?

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
umm, new dealer maybe? though it could obviously be many things, for the dealer to work on the same fix and keep charging you is kinda rediculous. pumps have had issues in the past, so that wouldn't be a suprise really.

just making sure you don't have an intake no your car, correct?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Lean is really weird, Ive been told our cars run rich as hell normally, and mine runs even richer for some reason. 125k how was it treated those past 125k miles?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are referring to a custom or after market intake, no all stock. I replaced the fresh air intake duct from the air filter box to the throttle body several months ago because it was dry and craked. I am going to check to see if I knocked something loose when I changed that. Or maybe there is something up with the MAF sensor. If it is not sensing the actual air flow it couold screw up the fuel delivery.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car has had mostly highway milage. Hoven't done a lot to it except the normal maintenance stuff. No performance stuff, no real hard driving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts