Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it finally hit -12oC here in Toronto and the LCD display for the clock/radio/temp was blank on start up. Note radio/CD was still operational and audible. Took about 10 min for display to finally show up after the car warmed up a bit. Has this happend to anyone else? I don't think this is normal. I've had LCD displays on previous aftermarket radios but it was just slow to change display never had it go blank on me. Any input would be great. I don't remember seeing this as a feature in the manual unless i missed something.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Pretty normal. In extreme cold weather, LCD's (nav screen, PC screen, etc.) won't operate. You'll have to wait until the interior of your car warms up first.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty normal. In extreme cold weather, LCD's (nav screen, PC screen, etc.) won't operate. You'll have to wait until the interior of your car warms up first.
[/b]
I've seen them go slow but like automatan said never gone blank. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: so i told my dealer about the LCD problem and even sent them the TSB from Mazda6tech. They said that since it was a US TSB it didn't apply in Canada. But after arguing that my VIN qualified and that all MPS' came from Japan, it shouldn't matter, they replied that Mazda Canada had never had any reports of this problem and have not replaced any units yet. Can this be true? Are there any Canadian MPS owners that have had this replaced yet?

I find it hard to believe that MPS' from the great white north aren't experiencing this sub zero problem! I need help building a case to bring to Mazda Canada so they can make this TSB official up here as well. They said they need to duplicate the problem but that means waiting till the temp drops and then leaving at the dealership until the LCD display decides to blank out again.

Any other Canadians experiencing this? Please let me know. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Lived in Ottawa last year. This happened to me several times with my MS6. My display also acted very slowly on several occasions. Always happened when the car was cold. I thought the display was broken at first, but after warming up, the display returned to normal. During warmer weather the display always worked fine.

This year moved to London. Much warmer here so haven't had any problems yet this year.

R

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lived in Ottawa last year. This happened to me several times with my MS6. My display also acted very slowly on several occasions. Always happened when the car was cold. I thought the display was broken at first, but after warming up, the display returned to normal. During warmer weather the display always worked fine.

This year moved to London. Much warmer here so haven't had any problems yet this year.

R
[/b]
did you ever report this to your dealer?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
So it finally hit -12oC here in Toronto and the LCD display for the clock/radio/temp was blank on start up. Note radio/CD was still operational and audible. Took about 10 min for display to finally show up after the car warmed up a bit. Has this happend to anyone else? I don't think this is normal. I've had LCD displays on previous aftermarket radios but it was just slow to change display never had it go blank on me. Any input would be great. I don't remember seeing this as a feature in the manual unless i missed something. [/b]

that's pretty much the nature of LCD displays....they will also black out in extreme hot weather. Usually, as you discovered, once they warm up to a more reasonable temperature they work just fine. Some are more prone to this than others. I sounds like Mazda had some QC issues with the vendor on this one.

·
Registered
489 Posts
that's pretty much the nature of LCD displays....they will also black out in extreme hot weather. Usually, as you discovered, once they warm up to a more reasonable temperature they work just fine. Some are more prone to this than others. I sounds like Mazda had some QC issues with the vendor on this one.
[/b]
In hot weather, I've noticed that my LCD doesn't black out, it "oranges out". That is, all of the LCD elements glow, making it harder to read the elements that are actually "on".

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE: I got it replaced under warranty. they didn't even need to reproduce as per standard procedure. I'm certain it had been reported before they were just trying to discourage me from leaving it overnight with them. now it works fine below -12oC. if you can get yours replaced before your warranty runs out.

·
Registered
578 Posts
happens to me in extreme cold conditions, but never for 10 minutes... usually 2-3 minutes. always comes back though.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Happened to my 03 6s in below 0F temps[/b]
/agree. Haven't seen this in my MS6 yet, but if I do I'm not worried about it. My 03 6S recovered just fine the maybe 3 times it happened in 2 1/2 years with the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts