Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shalom,

I just bought a used 2003 mazda 6, and am loving it, except i have noticed an issue with my lcd radio/clock display. Its as if some of the pixels are dead, but if i tap it or more effectively push down at the top of the display, the pixels will fully illuminate with no problem whatsoever. Does anyone have any idea how to fix or this or has anyone had this problem before, and what did you do? Im thinking a possible lose connection but dont really want to have to take the display out if not necessary.

Gracias

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do a search on Mazda6 LCD issues and you'll find that it is an extremely common problem, seems specific to the 03 and 04's. Also check youtube, do a search for Mazda6 LCD, there is a pretty nice video which may be an indicator of what your LCD may be doing in a few weeks or months.

Mine is as crazy as the one on Youtube, but sometimes works. I haven't found anyone who has found a solution or a fix and I haven't tried to take mine apart yet. Most guys seem to replace them, or just let it be. This, like many little issues with this vehicle, lacks a simple solution or easy fix.

They are about $270 from the dealer, and between $120-$180 if you buy them used from salvage yards and such. They very rarely pop up on Ebay.

Somethig to keep in mind is that the 05+ LCD's are not a direct fit.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have the same issue with my 05. I have let it be for a while now, but it is getting worse. I was going to tear apart the dash and look at all the connectors, and the connectors in the unit as well. I seems to be a connection issue since the pixels start working again when pressure is applied.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
its not just a connection issue, the LCD read out comes unsoldered from the board. has nothing to do with any electrical plugs. it is usually fixable if you have the equipment and knowledge to solder the board though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey so i tried this and it worked wonders. Easiest way to fix this problem so far i think. Just unsolder the metal cover on one side which is only one solder point, then bend it to the side to get to the kinks better and just bend them out straight then test and solder the metal cover back on if everthing is working. Everything works on my lcd screen now and nothing was working before this. No flickering when i touch it or when i close the storage compartment. Like new. Love it. Here is the link. Robert's fix-it shop: Mazda 6 LCD Information Display

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
I have an easier solution. Take the display out of the car. Remove as much plastic as you can. Bake it on a sheet in the oven @ about 200-250 for 8-10 minutes. Turn off the oven and let it completely cool slowly. Put it back together and [probably] enjoy a fully working LCD.

This is called Re-Flow. Basically re-solders all solder joints at the same time. I've done this with several computer motherboards with lifting chips. Couple people here have tried on their dash displays with success. At least if it doesn't work for you, it didn't cost anything but time.

·
Super Moderator
17,560 Posts
^^ +1 to everything he just said. And hell even if you don't believe it, it's worth a shot!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts