Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to be morbid about this, but are there any members here in the Laval, PQ area? Its a terrible tradgedy in any case and my prayers go out to all the families involved. However I'm asking because in the Toronto Sun today in one picture I can see under the big slab of concrete that fell on to the highway is a very distinct 17" wheel of a Mazda '6. That's all that's left of the car that's discernible. If I can find a web photo, I'l post the link.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I commute through Laval from about an hour north to Montreal daily. My wife saw that same pic on this morning's news and described it to me holding her hands apart 6 or 8 inches saying the entire car was "about that thick" and all that was left was the front(?) wheel. "The wheel was taller than any of the rest of the car!".

She didn't spot the 17" as a Mazda part, but I've never had the original wheels on ours. But now I'd be interested to see that pic. I've searched the papers today at the office and a bunch online but haven't found it yet either.

As far as I know, there are a few club members who probably use that highway, at least from time to time -- if you live north of Montreal, then you'd pass through Laval one way or another. I think QC has a low turnout on mazda6club probably because of language, so that might lessen the odds that we've lost a member. Now I know that can't lessen the tragedy for those involved, but I'd expect we may have been spared any personal connection to the catastrophe.

It'll still be nice to hear from the rest of our quebeckers though.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I've shipped parts to Laval before, so I know there are quite a few 6'ers there.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I thought I saw a 17" Mazda rim on the TV as well. Uh oh, we need confirmation on this now.

Makes me cringe as an engineer (and a human being too).

·
Registered
233 Posts
The pic I saw today had the car under a tarp. But the front end or rather what was left of it was very distinctive. A 2006 mazda6, the left rear wheel was also exposed.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I was going to post this as well. The pictures I had seen showed the rear of what looked alot like a 6. It had the red tail lights though, not the black verion of the GFX package.

Horrible, horrible event.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yeah, the local newspaper said that the grey Mazda 6 was occupied by three people. I hope it wasn't someone on this forum. RIP

It's just ridiculous, they just announced that the "inspector" who checked out the overpass before it collapsed wasn't an inspector but just a patrol worker. He called in his findings but was advised that engineers would only be able to check it out on Monday because it was the weekend. When chunks of concrete measuring 15cm x 36cm are falling off the overpass something serious is going wrong and the damn road should be closed immediately.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
PICTURES HERE from discussion on our Montreal Mustang Club forum
I'm a MOD as FangStang over there (white Cobra snake avatar) ;)

A fellow member stayed there and took pictures (most likely the ones he's shared to the media) at @ 3AM when they pulled off the concrete slabs to put the tarps on the victims out of respect ..... and ya he did mention it was a Mazda 6 no more than a foot high !!

The tradegy took place at 12H38 PM Saturday . It apparently cut a razor sharp slice with no apparent tearing or degradation marks ! We'll know more in the coming days , but for now what we know is that there are 5 deaths (make that 6 - pregnant) and 4 in the hospital with an excellent prognostic despite their conditions .

We have another member of our Mustang club who relates two of his colleagues work for the city bus and one was delayed in crossing the bridge (where they both usually meet over it) 'cause of this old lady having trouble with her $change ! He stopped in frozen shock after seeing smoke once he started moving again ! The other bus driver across reacted differently by jumping down to help the wounded .

Ya this is sad for the families involved ! I wasn't even there and I'm really affected phsycologically (in a mild sense) :

In 2000 on a Saturday once again (thankfully less victims 'cause less traffic) the bridge on Souvenir road going over HWY 15 had collapsed ; about 3 miles away from my house .... and that had me never looking at overpasses the same way again with ''What Ifs'' everytime I crossed over/under any one of them !

Three days before this happened it occured to me a flash of this event (must say that it had been a long time since a flash like that had happened to me) , then this happens again , albeit , under different circumstances . Nevertheless people got crushed to death in both events ; and since , EVERYtime I cross one of those overpasses I'm looking at them under as if to wonder how it felt to see this come down just before dying , for these poor fellows being crushed to death instantly ! Let's just say I do cross them locally a whole bunch ; being a Purolator Semi Truck Driver !

I've shipped parts to Laval before, so I know there are quite a few 6'ers there.
[/b]
That would be me ... anyone else you could name quickly ; I'd very much like to know and PM them for local gatherings

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Yeah, the local newspaper said that the grey Mazda 6 was occupied by three people. I hope it wasn't someone on this forum. RIP

It's just ridiculous, they just announced that the "inspector" who checked out the overpass before it collapsed wasn't an inspector but just a patrol worker. He called in his findings but was advised that engineers would only be able to check it out on Monday because it was the weekend. When chunks of concrete measuring 15cm x 36cm are falling off the overpass something serious is going wrong and the damn road should be closed immediately.
[/b]
Just one hour before the tradegy happened this last Saturday , one person had called for that one meter slab falling !!! Our structures are falling apart everywhere ! 19 sitings have been located over our province and 4 on the island of Montreal just across the river from the island of Laval where I live in Chomedey town . We should be made aware of the inspection report from our politicians soon but it's not off to a good start with who they elected to preside over , as apparently they should of chosen a neutral party like a judge or independant engineer , screwed up system we live in over here .....

Radio discussion on 98.5 FM made an interesting point relating to the fact that they are so much accustomed to pieces missing , that one more isn't a matter of urgency enough to close roads and do what should be done ... tihis is what I have to deal with psycologically .... we're a bunch of idiots here and we're not smart enough to make people pay , like it would surely happen in the States automatically ..... the company who was building the bridge (half-put up) at the time in 2000 when found responsible (obviously) ended up declaring bankruptcy ! That's it nothing else a slap on the wrist thing !

·
Registered
221 Posts
..... the company who was building the bridge (half-put up) at the time in 2000 when found responsible (obviously) ended up declaring bankruptcy ! That's it nothing else a slap on the wrist thing !
[/b]
Yes, that was pathetic. It was deemed as negligence and poor construction on their part. One engineer was fined $4,500 and banned from the Order of Engineers for 4 months. Two or three others were fined $1,000 dollars.

The families of those injured and killed were unable to sue the construction company nor the government. This is because the SAAQ (government transportation body) and CSST (workers comp.) considered the incident as a regular vehicular accident. As such, they are responsible for the payouts which follow some table. In the end, the family of the guy killed received only a few thousand dollars I think. Had this happened in the States, they could have sued for millions. I'm not sure how it is in the rest of Canada.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
That would be me ... anyone else you could name quickly ; I'd very much like to know and PM them for local gatherings
[/b]
Channt. Hers is Redfire. There are more but I don't know their screen names.

·
Registered
26 Posts
From Lanaudière, 90min north of MTL here. While driving to work in West-Island, I saw some worker inspecting a bridge between 31 HWY and 158, near Joliette.

This situation will more likely happen more and more. Roads here are crap. I traveled a lot in the US, East Coast of Canada and other region and I can say that we have 3rd world country roads...

The bad part is that happened in Laval again, maybe 5-6 years ago. They were renovating a bridge when it collapsed on people.

The sad part is that they can (or will) not sue anybody because of the Engineers + Construction worker lobbyist and union. It may be their fucking fault, or not. Unions are good things, except most of the time in Municipal, provincial and federal domains. Ever seen that white line on the side of the road going around (if not over) a dead animal. IT is not my fucking job!!! Come on, regular, non unioned worker would be fired right away and lose their minimal wage at the same time.

Sorry to be so crude, but when union contract kills people, it just pisses me off big time

·
Registered
444 Posts
[/b]

that was probably me and another member.

i pass by there almost everyday... fortunately that day i passed by another highway

Channt. Hers is Redfire. There are more but I don't know their screen names.
[/b]

hehe, its not hers it's his

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Wierd... I've never been to this area of the forum before. Yesterday while eating lunch I saw the article a few pages deep in the paper - and almost spit up my BigMac when I saw the wheel. I just said "Holy shit - that's a 6!".

I was going to post about it last night but when I searched for the pic it didn't come up (even 4 pages deep into Google). So today I ran back out to McD's and grabbed the paper from yesterday. I just scanned it and was about to post the topic when I searched for it first - I was sure this would have been in the lounge for some reason.

God - this is disturbing. Here it is (I didn't see this exact pic in the other links or posts).

[attachmentid=16063]

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Wierd... I've never been to this area of the forum before. Yesterday while eating lunch I saw the article a few pages deep in the paper - and almost spit up my BigMac when I saw the wheel. I just said "Holy shit - that's a 6!".

I was going to post about it last night but when I searched for the pic it didn't come up (even 4 pages deep into Google). So today I ran back out to McD's and grabbed the paper from yesterday. I just scanned it and was about to post the topic when I searched for it first - I was sure this would have been in the lounge for some reason.

God - this is disturbing. Here it is (I didn't see this exact pic in the other links or posts).

[attachmentid=16063]
[/b]
That is damn near the picture I saw as well.

Shitty deal.

Let us hope this is nobody on the forums.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts