Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how may of you guys have owned another sport awd car?
how does this car launch compared to the likes of an sti evo or dsm?

i havnt drined the speed 6 yet but i owned a dsm and have driven both sti and evo
the sti sucked really, when you launche at about 5500 the car felt like it wated to break. and maybee it was my friends turbo but it kind of wanted to bogg a little bit too.
the evos lauched hard but made alot of noise and again it could be the particular car but the clutch felt like it wated to die and hitting second the same way was ot pretty.
the dsm launched like a bullet. thats about he only way to explain that car... it felt great but the top end was nothing to special.

how does it feel to launch the speed 6? dos it creak and moan when you launch hard?
does it bog at all or feel like you did something the car didnt like?

im just wondering, i will be trading my 6 in at the end of the year and was looking maybee at keeping with the 6 but a better model

thank for the help guys

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
you forgot to mention that DSMs required regular transfercase replacements and oil that leaked from everywhere possible and control arms falling off while in motion, sometimes the wheel would break off etc etc oh lets not forget the random shiftfork breaking and can't hit 2nd. Last and not least, best one i seen is when a eclipse launched the axel broke and flew in to the transmission putting a huge hole.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
you forgot to mention that DSMs required regular transfercase replacements and oil that leaked from everywhere possible and control arms falling off while in motion, sometimes the wheel would break off etc etc oh lets not forget the random shiftfork breaking and can't hit 2nd. Last and not least, best one i seen is when a eclipse launched the axel broke and flew in to the transmission putting a huge hole.
[/b]
Wow, that definitely sounds like an exponential f*#k load of trouble!

·
Registered
335 Posts
This thing launches great and it sticks like glue.... i love it....
[/b]
No loud banging noises like the front end is ripping out from under you?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Wow, that definitely sounds like an exponential f*#k load of trouble!
[/b]
Actually that's a pretty accurate description of a DSM. But then again, when you take a vehilce made to put down 150 to the wheels and end up putting down 300 or more, that's what you get.

I'll agree the DSM shoots you out of the hole like a cannon, but if you're bogging on the launch, your not launching hard enough. Even a large turbo will spool up on a launch as you're hitting 5k at the line. If it doesn't fully spool by 5k, your running too large of a turbo for a motor that redlines at 7200.

I've yet to get a good launch from the speed, best 60' is 1.8. I could put down 1.6's on street tires all day long in my dsm.

Jason

·
Registered
998 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i didnt say the dsm wasnt pricey for a 1000 dollar car. i was just wondering if this car works better with all its technology than the previous attempts by companies to make great awd sporty car.

and you all seem to just knock the other cars.

i got 2 posative responces

any more good news or should i just get a g35 awd

·
Registered
275 Posts
No loud banging noises like the front end is ripping out from under you?
[/b]
I get one loud bang like the rap of a bat on a front door if I don't let the clutch slip enough. Doesn't seem to be from the front though. I get the same sound when I power shift. Its disturbing enough to make me not do it anymore.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
i didnt say the dsm wasnt pricey for a 1000 dollar car. i was just wondering if this car works better with all its technology than the previous attempts by companies to make great awd sporty car.

[/b]

its all good, I knock ms6 also when owners think its faster then a 400hp GTO/R34 Skyline/EVO/STI. But seriouly DSM's are junk, I've worked on way too many of them and seen what happens. G35 looks nice but reliablity on the new nissans haven't been good, they sure look pretty though. If you want a straight fast and fun to drive awd car, I'd say the EVO. They don't have nearly as much problem as the WRX's and if your nice to the transmission, should last for a long time.

·
Registered
998 Posts

[/b]

Get an ms6, CP-E needs your business.

It's totally up to you. Drive the cars your looking at, go what feels best to you. This is a new car and No one, yes NO ONE has harnessed the true power of this vehicle. You could go test drive it and think, what a P.O.S. because you didn't get a good launch, but chances are you don't know the vehicle and didn't know the best way to launch it.

I loved my DSM, I'll have another. I didn't have nearly as many problems as most people. No crankwalk, no broken ball joints, no transfer case leaks. I had a tranny grenade on me, but that was thanks to a poorly prepped launch pad in which I spun all four wheels. Bad things happen when you do that. But when it came to something breaking I took pride and joy into doing it myself and knowing everything there is to know about the car including every darn bolt size and torque spec.

Get what YOU like, not what other people like.

If you want a synopsis, this car may or may not have a powerloss issue. It's not a traditional AWD system. It could be viewed as a fun car to drive. Some like it some don't, make your own decision.

If the g35x's weren't so ugly I'd probably have one of those. If the bmw 300 series weren't so popular like the ford focus' I'd own one of those. I chose the speed6 because 'no one' has one. Granted I've seen three others on the road now, but not nearly as many 300 series or g35s as i've seen.

Jason

·
Registered
403 Posts
Get what YOU like, not what other people like.

If you want a synopsis, this car may or may not have a powerloss issue. It's not a traditional AWD system. It could be viewed as a fun car to drive. Some like it some don't, make your own decision.

[/b]
May or may not have a powerloss issue? Definitely has a powerloss issue. As an original skeptic, I can tell you it does. However: 1) I think it happens rarely, except to the Speed Racers (for the young, a 1960/70s anime) on this forum who the polls show to experience it perhaps more frequently than the general population of MS6 drivers; AND 2) NO ONE who has had the reflash has complained about a reoccurence (knock on wood). It may be a little early to say for sure, but it looks like there was a powerloss issue that has been resolved by the reflash (knock on wood again).

Pretty much everyone agrees that the car is a lot of fun to drive. Personally, I think it performs really well for the money. At least I have fun everytime I drive it, whether racing traffic light to traffic light or in the twisties. But it is definitely not pushing the rally car /drag racing envelope like the EVO/STi and it never was intended to do so.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Repeated launching on an AWD drivetrain will put excessive amounts of stress on the components due to the power actually reaching the ground and not slipping away.

I would heavily suggest not launching the car continuously, unless you are specifically testing the drivetrains durability for aftermarket research. Something WILL eventually break. What will break? Leave that to the aftermarket and not your daily driver.

The transfer case is WATER COOLED for a REASON!!! (And don't forget the rear differential is off of an Rx8, a car not exactly known for large amounts of torque).

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
know im getting somewhere

ha ha

i own a 6i i am just looking into what could be next on my list of owned cars...
i dont like the evo or the sti ,god i hate subaru.

my dsm was ok but just way too many problems, your looking at a car thats been beaten on for like 13 years ( i like the 1st gens) its kind of like buying an old foxbody

anyways
i kjnow im going to get what i like, i was just asking for all the opinions i could find. and this was the best place to find the info i wanted, and still want.

thanks again guys for your input

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
personally, I wouldn't touch a used performance car let alone a awd one unless it has super low miles or knew the owner well. I've driven about 5 wrx's and every single one grinded going in to 1st gear. Also with some of you guys on the board drag racing and launching these cars, i'd stay far away from used one.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
From the previous 6i owner perspective. The MS6 is light year away as I had one and after the test drive, no way back for me. But this depends on your preference and only you can decide after a test drive mate.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Repeated launching on an AWD drivetrain will put excessive amounts of stress on the components due to the power actually reaching the ground and not slipping away.

I would heavily suggest not launching the car continuously, unless you are specifically testing the drivetrains durability for aftermarket research. Something WILL eventually break. What will break? Leave that to the aftermarket and not your daily driver.

The transfer case is WATER COOLED for a REASON!!! (And don't forget the rear differential is off of an Rx8, a car not exactly known for large amounts of torque).
[/b]
What a crock of sh!t.......
This car was supposedly built to drive hard and is marketed that way. If I knew it was that fragile, I never would've bought it!
:swearin:

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
I see you've never met the MSP. Mazdaspeed does not mean "all out rediculous performance". It's a light to moderate upgrade of a vehicle, meant to increase all aspects of a car's performance, while maintaining daily rideability.

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewforum.php?f=47

As such there are limits to how strong components can be made within budgetary reasons. The stock mount is still perforated rubber (though stiffer then a normal 6i). The rear axles and differential are from an rx8 (parts bin sharing). Have you taken a close look at the transfer case, or even the transmission linkages? The AWD system is basically a volvo haldec system, with failsafe sensors in the transfer case and rear differential to force the car into 100% FWD mode, if temps ever exceed a preset limit. The reason for the transfer case's cooling to help prevent this from occuring.

The DISI engine with its TMIC were designed as a "one size fits all" application for 3-4 seperate vehicles, not just the MPS6's. Mazda designed the entire engine to "drop in". The Mazdaspeed 6 is merely its test bed to iron out all the little quirks before it gets trickled down into other car lineups. Of all the components though, the engine is by far the strongest and most built up. It is the one component that is truely unique about the MPS 6, and a freaking god damn awesome one.

And honestly...just visit up some AWD forums of other vehicles...launching an AWD car is incredibly stressful on the entire drivetrain, because power is not slipping away with wheel spin as in a FWD or RWD car. All that power goes right through the drivetrain, and to the ground. Do that too many times, and components will start to fatigue. Evo's, Sti's, WRX's, Audi's, Volvo's, VW's, you name it, you can break it by going a bit bonkers on the launching...especially if you think redline drops are fun, or you start fiddling with grippier tires. (Slicks are by far the most dangerous)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
13 Participants
stl_ls1gto
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing