Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From London Times

Scientists have devised a way to replace spark plugs with laser beams to reduce fuel consumption and emissions. The laser can be channelled through hollow glass fibres and directed to an optimum point in the cylinder to ignite fuel vapour.

The result is better combustion and a more efficient engine relative to one with spark plugs, which corrode with use. Researchers at Colorado State University in America, who have tested their theory in the laboratory, are now working with commercial partners.

·
Registered
498 Posts

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
So cool. They should couple this with ceramic engine blocks which can be designed with some pretty high efficiency.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Too bad that car companies are too stuck in their ways. They could increase fuel efficiency by doing the simple things: Lowering the weight of their cars, using a smaller engine with less power output, but still producing the same performance. Lotus, anyone?

But, of course, everyone wants their 4400lb Chargers with their 300HP 5.7L V8s. Anybody got a ruler for those people?

Stretch, where are you?

Although I am for this new Spark Plug technology, there are better ways to increase fuel efficiency without spending millions and millions in research. Fuck hybrids with their premium pricetags.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I don't think car companies are stuck in their ways- at least not the engineers. I think that unfortunately, the engineers are handed their priorities from the marketing department, and they're always wrong. But what marketing department wouldn't jump at the opportunity to say, "This car uses frekkin' laser beams to blow shit up!" Check out http://motorist.blogspot.com for one of my many rants on overweight cars.

I'm not sure how lasers would be beneficial over a spark plug though. I thought the spark plug was already at its optimal location. My only guess would be that they want several sources (locations) of ignition, and it'd be hard to fit multiple spark plugs.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure how lasers would be beneficial over a spark plug though. I thought the spark plug was already at its optimal location. My only guess would be that they want several sources (locations) of ignition, and it'd be hard to fit multiple spark plugs.
[/b]
Ford 2.3L dual plug 4-cylinder, two plugs per cylinder. Since it didn't last too long, I don't think that program was a success.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Cool shit. I'm all for this new kind of technology as long as it increases power and decreases fuel consumption :)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
But, of course, everyone wants their 4400lb Chargers with their 300HP 5.7L V8s. Anybody got a ruler for those people?

Stretch, where are you?

Although I am for this new Spark Plug technology, there are better ways to increase fuel efficiency without spending millions and millions in research. Fuck hybrids with their premium pricetags.
[/b]

you, my friend, are right.

most (all?) of the hybrids really dont even help pollution anyway, but marketing wont tell you that.

lotus elise FTW. tho i dont think it gets great gas mileage now that i think about it...

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
you, my friend, are right.

most (all?) of the hybrids really dont even help pollution anyway, but marketing wont tell you that.

lotus elise FTW. tho i dont think it gets great gas mileage now that i think about it...
[/b]
23MPG City and 27MPG Highway. That city estimate is what the 6i is rated at. That is incredible considering this car does 0-60 in 4.4sec and a 1/4mi in 13.2. That's better than the Porsche Boxster, and the car is cheaper.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Can't I just get some sharks with some friggin laser beams attached to their friggin heads? Is that too much to ask?
[/b]
Well said. Well said.
:D

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
A reader comment in the last autoweek remarked on a story about an '82 Civic that got 55MPH. The reader wanted to know why Honda couldn't bring back the old days, especially considering the Civic Hybrid has even worse gas milage than that. Its simple: regulation. Yes, even this old dog Democrat will agree. But there is a tradeoff. We wanted safer cars, so they got heavier. We wanted cleaner cars, so they got heavier and less milage. If technology can give us 55MPH AND the clean and safer vehicles, we'll all benefit.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Not only safer cars, we wanted roomier cars equipped with far more lavish appointments and additional horsepower to accelerate that additional mass more quickly.

55MPH is also pretty much all that Civic probably could get. ;)

·
Registered
823 Posts
A reader comment in the last autoweek remarked on a story about an '82 Civic that got 55MPH. The reader wanted to know why Honda couldn't bring back the old days, especially considering the Civic Hybrid has even worse gas milage than that. Its simple: regulation. Yes, even this old dog Democrat will agree. But there is a tradeoff. We wanted safer cars, so they got heavier. We wanted cleaner cars, so they got heavier and less milage. If technology can give us 55MPH AND the clean and safer vehicles, we'll all benefit.
[/b]
I have the v6, and I will get 55MPH. Hell, I've even gone as far as 80MPH.

Now my MPG hovers around 19/20. I do a lot of stop go and am not light on the gas pedal.

O, and would the sharks with laser beams be in the engine igniting the fuel vapor? I know the v6 is pretty restricted in space under the hood, and I'm thinking 6 sharks wouldn't help with that. Unless we could put a laser on a shark, and then ride on the back of the shark. Then we would need water ways like in italy.

O, and lasers in the engine are cool.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
[/b]

Miles per hour? You mean miles per galon? MPG?

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
[/b]
I can't BELIEVE I missed this one reading it the first time!

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[/b]
Idiocy and uneducated politicians force fed bullshit by environmentalists is the direct result from the drop in mileage. The Clean Air Acts are utter bullshit. Carbon monoxide from the cars in the US were not causing ozone holes. In fact, in the grand scheme of greenhouse gases, the entire human race contributes to less than 5% of those gases. Though now BECAUSE OF CATALYTIC CONVERTERS we are contributing MORE greenhouse gases, this time in the form of nitrous oxides. NOx is 300X deadlier than carbon monoxide and is a byproduct of catalytic converters. The amount of NOx emissions in the atmosphere has been rising dangerously since the 1980s, nearly doubling in the 1990s when the amount of cars with catalytic converters were far out numbering those without. An EPA study in the late 90s blames catalytic converters as the root of NOx and the reason why it has been rising so much recently.

Yet we continue to go from one catalytic converter to as many as four on certain vehicles. We need an advocacy group for intelligence in this country. To set the politicians straight, ditch the cats and "need to be green", tell CARB, Sierra and Greenpeace where to stick it and fix this damn country.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
14 Participants
84FordMan
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing