Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was finishing up my audio project and had to pull the battery, got to the airbox and pulled that out of the way as well and noticed that my stock filter was filthy as heck! I guess I assumed it would have been replaced by the dealership that I bought my car used and certified, or whatever. Well it wasn't and me being who I am, I couldn't leave it stock so I went to Autoanything and had them price-match a low-ball number I saw on Amazon for the polished Injen intake SP6073P, I think it was $191 all done. I went with the polished because I could envision myself scratching the nice black powdercoated one to hell just trying to get it installed. And I was right, it would have been nearly impossible!

Anyway, here's some pics. Not much to show, but hey pictures help right?

blurry ass stock pic, meh

New one installed

Install was simple, I just pulled a few tabs from the fender liner, moved my wheel full right, and then ever so gently shoved the filter in there while carefully bending the bumper cover a few degrees. Then I installed the intake tube on the top side, and used some careful squeezing of my hand in between the liner and bumper cover to position the filter onto the tube, and then used a flex socket tool to tighten the clamp. All done, well under an hour! The only things I had to do "custom" was I changed one of the nuts to one with a much larger flat surface on it on it to grab the mount better, and I added an extra washer to that flex mount on the other side for the same reason, to hold the threaded rod more securely. Literally nothing else, and this is what I would consider just me being a picky SOB about things.

So my review of the intake is 100% positive so far. It is quiet when you want it to be, growly in a nice way when you get on it, and really makes all the right noises at all the right times. It makes GREAT power with no dead spots, and seems tractable and happy at any RPM, including right off idle which most CAI's and certainly most SRI's get very, very wrong. I spun the tires this morning--which has never happened, and I giggled like a school girl. Even my wife likes the sound, and said its got a little extra getup and go, and she's not into this stuff too much. Unless I get a CEL which I doubt since its been on a few days now, I would say there's no negatives to be found yet. For the price I paid, I'd say its a no-brainer. For those questioning whether it makes power, I'd say yes, but be reasonable, we start with ~180 or so, you're going to get maybe a couple % more out of something like this. Baby steps!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just wanted to update my own thread here a bit, with a few weeks worth of ownership.

I love this intake! This single change has netted me an mpg boost, which I'm going to attribute mostly to a clogged factory filter (bought it that way as a used car, don't hate on me), but real numbers we're talking an average right now of 26.1 mpg which is at least 1.5 - 2 more mpg than I was getting prior, and its been consistently like that for a couple tanks now. That's sweet!

The sound is great, gets a little loud and boisterous at full throttle at high rpm, but that's kinda when you want it to be. Otherwise its a smooth soft burble. Sorta reminds me of that sound the 3.1L through 3.8L Pontiacs made, though they mostly made it through their exhaust.

Great mod, very happy. No CEL or any odd engine behavior, either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just wanted to update my own thread here a bit, with a few weeks worth of ownership.

I love this intake! This single change has netted me an mpg boost, which I'm going to attribute mostly to a clogged factory filter (bought it that way as a used car, don't hate on me), but real numbers we're talking an average right now of 26.1 mpg which is at least 1.5 - 2 more mpg than I was getting prior, and its been consistently like that for a couple tanks now. That's sweet!

The sound is great, gets a little loud and boisterous at full throttle at high rpm, but that's kinda when you want it to be. Otherwise its a smooth soft burble. Sorta reminds me of that sound the 3.1L through 3.8L Pontiacs made, though they mostly made it through their exhaust.

Great mod, very happy. No CEL or any odd engine behavior, either.
Lanson, I got the same intake but in blk.. I love it. The images you see on injens website and others are of an older version. I called to double check if I was shipped the correct item and a engineer I spoke with at Injens said this was an updated version as the old one set of CEL. I put about 15k miles on this intake and I enjoy every bit of it. Nice growl, better highway mpg.. Can't ask for more.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts