Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so...this just started about 2weeks ago....i own the 2004 6i ATX(63000miles)...when i'm in manumatic mode and i shift from 1st to 2nd around 5000-5500 rpm, on my gauge cluster it shows me in second gear....but my engine is still revving in first at times into the 6500-7000rpm)and hits the limiter...when this happens i usually take my foot off the gas and shift it again into 3rd...which then the rpm drop back down into the 4000rpms...(which is second gear)...i thouht it was the timing....so i checked and it doesn't appear that i can change the timing...(no distributor?)..i just thought i'd get some feedback on the problem seeing that i am now 3000 miles out of my warranty.... :swearin:

·
Registered
232 Posts
ok so...this just started about 2weeks ago....i own the 2004 6i ATX(63000miles)...when i'm in manumatic mode and i shift from 1st to 2nd around 5000-5500 rpm, on my gauge cluster it shows me in second gear....but my engine is still revving in first at times into the 6500-7000rpm)and hits the limiter...when this happens i usually take my foot off the gas and shift it again into 3rd...which then the rpm drop back down into the 4000rpms...(which is second gear)...i thouht it was the timing....so i checked and it doesn't appear that i can change the timing...(no distributor?)..i just thought i'd get some feedback on the problem seeing that i am now 3000 miles out of my warranty.... :swearin:[/b]
Question:....

....when you shift into manumatic mode...do you do so after you begin to move and have climbed a bit on the RPM band (say 1500 to 2000)?...this has happened to me on my 05' ATX and I think the problem is that you shouldn't switch into manumatic mode after you begin climbing in a gear...actually though, that hasn't happened to me in a while...(I did install a tranny cooler but that wouldn't have anything to do with operating temperature...I speculate)...if you are going to use the 'M' shift gate, try doing it while your still at a stop, before you begin to move...see if this helps...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just earlier i was at a stop light had in first gear in manumatic....decided to step on it, around 5500 rpm i shifted into 2nd...it showed 2nd gear...but i was still revving in first...it seems this only happens when i start off in 1st...and it only happens after 5000rpm...any remedies for this besides not stomping on the gas....any idea what the actual problem is?????....how much did u get ur tranny cooler for mzracer17?price?ez install?...also...i rarely drive in auto....

·
Registered
232 Posts
just earlier i was at a stop light had in first gear in manumatic....decided to step on it, around 5500 rpm i shifted into 2nd...it showed 2nd gear...but i was still revving in first...it seems this only happens when i start off in 1st...and it only happens after 5000rpm...any remedies for this besides not stomping on the gas....any idea what the actual problem is?????....how much did u get ur tranny cooler for mzracer17?price?ez install?...also...i rarely drive in auto....[/b]
I'm sorry about the lateness of this response...work can consume you...if your still interested...My cooler...cost $60 off the internet...most people on this forum would tell you to install it yourself...I however, didn't believe I had the means, nor the patience...(I feel differently now, but its done)...I had it installed at a AAA certified transmission place called Cottman Transmission...I tried at the Dealership but they said it would take 4 hours and they would have to charge me over $400 for lifting the car up, taking out the AC condensor...the Radiator Core...and a whole other bunch of @#$%....I took it to Cottman...45min....$250...didn't even take off the bumper...like you care about all that, but just in case...hmmm...does this happen EVERY time you are in M and go above 5500 RPM?....that bites...not being able to rev higher...maybe you should have your tranny reflashed at the dealership (ask for a transmission ECU re-flash...I think they'll get it)...a bunch of these M6 ATX transmissions have issues that the dealership had to have ECU reflash recalls for...maybe this is one of them...I had one done not that long ago, made a difference...noticable difference.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Sounds like a problem... I have an 03 6i ATX (4-speed) and it shifts almost instantly in every gear regardless of RPM. (As long as it's not a 'destructive' down shift...) You could try a tranny flush and fill with Mobil1 fluid, but I think this problem is probably a computer issue. (TCM and/or PCM)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.