Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well guys, after hearing that the Super AFC would either not work or required trickery i decided to take a risk and see if it works....and well it does! perfectly! there were no problems with the installation! it went very smoothly and it was done by Os Car Performance in Miami and i must say the gains are very well deserved. before you look at the picz here is the review of how it worked:

the overall mission that we tried to accomplish was a steady power gain and it worked out great. when i first did the dyno of 145 i forgot to mention that i was on 110 octane. i expected to gain about another 10WHP but i was suprised that this was not the case.

i average throughout the ENTIRE power band, 138-140WHP! peak is at 145. i am more satisfied knowing that i have 140 throughout instead of little spurts here and there which was the case with the FIRST initial dyno that i had done.

every 1,000 RPM the gains were from 7-20 HP! the orignal dyno was at 129HP as you see and the final result was 141HP which is a nice increase.

the throttle response is great! the power is there immideately when i demand it. top end i noticed a gain. basicallly overall this mod was EXACTLY what the car needed and i recommend you guys to get it.

i dont know if im going to tune it for nitrous or if im going to tune it for 110 octane. but i must say....it was worth EVERY penny ill tell you that. by far the best mod.

P.S. a/f ratio for the first dyno is 15.9 the second one is at 13.5

oh and i forgot to mention....the factory computer seems to compinsate for the AFC not allowing me to have a SMOOTH line but enough for me to maintain something close to it. now i need a stand alone and then things will get a whole lot more interesting!

here are the PICZ!!! sorry for the quality i dont have my digi cam left it at work so tommorow ill take better picz of the AFC!

Before Super AFC II

After Super AFC II

there ya have it! comment away!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats awesome!

Where do you have it mounted?

I wonder how this would work on the v6....
[/b]

i have it mounted on the navi pocket and yes it will work with the v6 if im not mistaken and yes it is awesome because now we have another option to choose from :)

-n1ghtmare

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
umm to me it looks like you gained a little bit of torque but lost a little horse power.

Also why were you on 110 octane. Does the car have a turbo on it? I would think that the octane choice would retard timing based on the inability to combust as efficently. If you are tuning for Nitrous does the APEXi alow you to swap tunes. I would think you wouldn't be sprayng all the time.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
umm to me it looks like you gained a little bit of torque but lost a little horse power.

Also why were you on 110 octane. Does the car have a turbo on it? I would think that the octane choice would retard timing based on the inability to combust as efficently. If you are tuning for Nitrous does the APEXi alow you to swap tunes. I would think you wouldn't be sprayng all the time.
[/b]

the apexi allows me to save 2 swap tunes. i thought it was 3 but its 2. as far as HP that is around the same as when i put 110. the 110 makes a difference regardless wiether its a little or big. it mixed with the 93, and it actually caused the engine to run better to a degree. it gave me a gain as it showed in the first post of my dyno.

another thing that set me back was the fact that we ran the car 10 times. so im sure that if i go tommorow and do a run id get more power. i noticed the gain in all gears espically third gear.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
I highly doubt the race gas helped at all, our engines don't like going too hiigh with octane. I'd try it again on 87. Besides that, congrats on the install!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I highly doubt the race gas helped at all, our engines don't like going too hiigh with octane. I'd try it again on 87. Besides that, congrats on the install!
[/b]

thanks Grem. the guy that did the install and dyno tune should get on the board soon to talk about it more clearly and answer questions any one else has.

as far as the race gas giving me a gain or what not, has anyone actually tried it? as far as with CAI, headers, exhaust? because i mean it gave me some sort of gain, i mean it cant be worthless to throw in.

anyways. i did this for all of us, the 6 can be tuned efficently by this. i know myself and chambers woul benefit for a nitrous tune for sure. but for all of you guys with the CP-E. it wouldnt hurt to snatch this up! it cost me 225. of course the install and dyno tuning is gonna cost. for me it was 300. but its WORTH IT trust me. i wouldnt have done this if it didnt do shit. lol

-n1ghtmare

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
What if you don't have CP-E.....? Can We benefit from this? and was it hard to install?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Yes a nitrous tune would help. Keep in mind i was running nitrous as well on my V6. Went through the fist engine like nothing prototyping the kit for Venom. I was running the car down the track over and over on 87 and was pinging the crap out of it. Now if I were running 110 octane and spraying I am sure I would have had alot less pinging. Basically on the lower octane gas I am getting a proper air fuel mixture and combustion temp. With the nitrous I was addin more boom at the same temp. Having a higher octane or cooler buring gas (in a way of thinking) the detonation would not have happened.

I was running 91 for the longiest time because i was still playing with the bottle on the current engine but had since stopped. It cost me too much. When not spraying and running 91 the car felt a little slugish compard to the 87. This was because the car would pull timing due to the gas.

Your 104 octane isn't hurting anything but your wallet. It may be keeping the power down a little. Keep in mind that the car is ment to run on 87. This has been discussed time and time again. I am very interested on you going back to the dyno on 87 and see what your results are. I wouldn't be suprised if you gained a little more power.

As far as this mod goes, it is just a way of adjusting the air/fuel. The CP-E tuneable intake does the same thing. That is why my roomae mind you MrTea did not see the gains he wanted from the intake. He has always gone with the AEM just because of the cost saving for a very similar result.

Please get the nitrous tune as it will benfit the car!! The regular tune though I am having a hard time with the 104 octane.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What if you don't have CP-E.....? Can We benefit from this? and was it hard to install?
[/b]
if you dont get the CP-E its ok this does what the CP-E does, and you get a gain as well...its very well worth it Dragon. the installation was easy according to my guys at the dyno. no problems came up.

Yes a nitrous tune would help. Keep in mind i was running nitrous as well on my V6. Went through the fist engine like nothing prototyping the kit for Venom. I was running the car down the track over and over on 87 and was pinging the crap out of it. Now if I were running 110 octane and spraying I am sure I would have had alot less pinging. Basically on the lower octane gas I am getting a proper air fuel mixture and combustion temp. With the nitrous I was addin more boom at the same temp. Having a higher octane or cooler buring gas (in a way of thinking) the detonation would not have happened.

I was running 91 for the longiest time because i was still playing with the bottle on the current engine but had since stopped. It cost me too much. When not spraying and running 91 the car felt a little slugish compard to the 87. This was because the car would pull timing due to the gas.

Your 104 octane isn't hurting anything but your wallet. It may be keeping the power down a little. Keep in mind that the car is ment to run on 87. This has been discussed time and time again. I am very interested on you going back to the dyno on 87 and see what your results are. I wouldn't be suprised if you gained a little more power.

As far as this mod goes, it is just a way of adjusting the air/fuel. The CP-E tuneable intake does the same thing. That is why my roomae mind you MrTea did not see the gains he wanted from the intake. He has always gone with the AEM just because of the cost saving for a very similar result.

Please get the nitrous tune as it will benfit the car!! The regular tune though I am having a hard time with the 104 octane.
[/b]

ahh i see what your saying atom. hrm, i ran it on 93 pump gas on the installation and dyno tuning today.....if i got back to 87 ( which i havent done since i bought the car ) dont you think i might get some knock? as far as the nitrous tune, i dont know if ill be spraying again. dont know why i just dont feel like it, but for shits and giggles ill do it just to have it there.

like i said i did this for the 6 community as another option that we all have. it DOES make a difference all the way through, i have consistent gains and not just peaks its all the way through, now all we needed is complete control of the ECU and im absolutely sure we can bring the gains of both cars very very high up

any more questions feel free to ask!

-n1ghtmare

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I am not doubting what you did at all. I think it is great you were able to get this working. For those that would prefer not to go the CP-E route this is an option.

As far as the knock goes I highly doubt is. You won't know until you try it though. Seeing as how this car was tuned for 87....the only way I would think you would get knock is based on the tune you did today. If it has now been tuned for 91, then keep it that way.

Nitrous can be mean to the car if used incorrectly. I experienced this first hand. Play with it responsibly and things can be fun---for a short while at least.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not doubting what you did at all. I think it is great you were able to get this working. For those that would prefer not to go the CP-E route this is an option.

As far as the knock goes I highly doubt is. You won't know until you try it though. Seeing as how this car was tuned for 87....the only way I would think you would get knock is based on the tune you did today. If it has now been tuned for 91, then keep it that way.

Nitrous can be mean to the car if used incorrectly. I experienced this first hand. Play with it responsibly and things can be fun---for a short while at least.
[/b]

ya thats what im saying i got the car tuned on 91 so i think its gonna have some knock, i practically got a full tank but ill try it as soon as i need to fill up no doubt about that.

oh believe me ive sprayed like 50 times on mines and *knock on wood* nothing has happend. but when i have done ive done it responsibily and not carelessly at all.

and ya man i agree for those that dont want the CP-E which is a GREAT product....yours truly has brought you another option :)

hell it was quite funny actually because orginally i was gonna take it to another dyno, and boy, where they excited because this has never been put on a 6 so they really wanted me bad, but in the end i chose the right one and that gave me the best price possible.

-n1ghtmare

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
That's Awesome man...Just because of this I might consider buying the Apexi. Those were some Huge gains you have shown!!!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's Awesome man...Just because of this I might consider buying the Apexi. Those were some Huge gains you have shown!!!
[/b]

well it worked out great, and it looks cool as hell!

you see the thing is, all people care about are PEAK horse power, what they dont realize is the average HP you make across the board. u can get a peak horse power of 200 but average 100. so how do u benefit? you dont, and thats what CP-E and apexi's Super AFC do they tune the a/f ratio so that you have a average amount of HP. id rather have 140HP throughout the powerband and peak at 150, than have 120 throughout and peak at 150.

-n1ghtmare

·
Registered
444 Posts
a newbie question: say i have cp-e MAFci, can i add this mod to gain even more hp?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
As far as using this to add more power not really. They both do the same thing. The adjust the air fuel ratios. Thats about it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As far as using this to add more power not really. They both do the same thing. The adjust the air fuel ratios. Thats about it.
[/b]

ahh ok thats what i was gonna say but wasnt sure, basically if you get this the CP-E is out of the question guys because of what you said they do the exact same thing. its either this or that lol.

-n1ghtmare

·
Registered
922 Posts
but ALOT more tunability with the AFC.... think of the MAFci as a standard calculator while the AFC is a scientific calculator...

one word of caution... you can't destroy your motor with the MAFci, you can and WILL destroy your motor if you get the AFC and start fucking with the settings... the ECU will fight the AFC and the loser is your block... just food for though. laterz

paul

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
About this Discussion
55 Replies
23 Participants
unique6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing