Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for the labor day weekend, I took out both the front panels and sprayed on the rubberised undercoat to the insides of both the panels. What a difference in audio (even when standing still) and road noise.

I first applied the Dupli-color "Protective Paintable Rubberized Undercoating", followed by a thin layer of "Professional Undercoat with Sound Eliminator-Quick Dry". The reason I did that is that the second product dries very quickly and forms a thin rubber coating, whereas the first coat is pretty darn heavy (adds mass) but is slow to dry.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/undercoating.html

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it is done and the panels are back on. I thought about taking a picture, but it(undercoat) is pitch black (courtesy carbon black).

·
Registered
352 Posts
What's a front panel?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ahhhhh

Have you done any other deadening to the doors?

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nope.....

road noise is wayyy better controlled now. my summer tires are sounding like passenger tires, to give you an indication.

Low end BASS is wayy better.

·
Registered
155 Posts
nope.....

road noise is wayyy better controlled now. my summer tires are sounding like passenger tires, to give you an indication.

Low end BASS is wayy better.
[/b]
Chikoo:
Was there some reason you used both products, and not the quick-dry stuff alone? Was this recommended by the manufacturer?

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chikoo:
Was there some reason you used both products, and not the quick-dry stuff alone? Was this recommended by the manufacturer?
[/b]
Like I said

The reason I did that is that the "Professional Undercoat with Sound Eliminator-Quick Dry" product dries very quickly and forms a thin rubber coating, whereas the "Protective Paintable Rubberized Undercoating" product is pretty darn heavy (adds mass) due it containing asphalt and is slow to dry and does not give as good a feel when dried as the first one.

I made up this decisions myself. The manufacturer recommended nothing. I just went to Autozone, looked around and thought of choosing these two products and see which one is better. Turned out, I liked the combo better than either one of them all alone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts