Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Faction:

An SUV For Urban Lifestyles
The Ford Faction concept, making its world debut at the 2003 Los Angeles Auto Show, is a tough, yet fashionable three-door SUV with all-wheel drive, novel utility and multimedia features, plus a refined interior for American urbanites who know and appreciate European-influenced materials.
This is a concept vehicle with the honest, genuine appearance of a Ford, specifically created for people who live in the middle of the action – hence the name Faction. It’s for city drivers who haul friends and gear, and who need to maneuver quickly through crowded streets. When parking becomes a precision sport, the Faction concept can be squeezed into tight spots with the help of City Eye, a camera system that provides a view of directly behind the vehicle.
As the first automotive design from Ford’s new Ingeni studio in London, the Faction concept shows what happens when people living in the heart of the a crowded, urban landscape set out to create a car to suit their lifestyle.
"The Faction is designed for – and by – the lifestyle generation," says Kris Tomasson, chief designer at Ingeni. "These are people with active, diverse lives who want a vehicle that’s functional, nimble and stylized."
The interior layout follows the philosophy of uncluttered, functional simplicity. The whole rear section of the roof is a glass panel, which gives a feeling of openness to the inside. When more cargo room is needed, the rear bench seat can be lowered with a single-switch retraction system. Additional functionality comes from a unique storage tray that slides in and out of the cargo area and can be used right-side up or up-side down, depending on package and luggage needs.
Although Faction concept drivers rarely venture off the paved streets of their urban environment, they have the capability to visit more rugged terrain should they desire. The vehicle has a permanent all-wheel-drive system, with traction and braking control and disc brakes on all four wheels, providing enhanced capability for wet or snowy road conditions.
Faction concept has been engineered for a responsive driving experience. It borrows its Duratec ST engine from the European Focus ST170, an uprated version of the standard 2.0-liter Focus powerplant that delivers 167 horsepower and 143 foot-pounds of torque.[/b]
I guess the SUV craze still isn't over yet. At least the trend seems to be going away from the behemoths (Tahoe, Expedition, Navigator, etc.) and more toward small, nimble, car based utes that have lots of utility and don't hog the road and get 10 mpg.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Replying to Topic 'LA Auto Show'

I really could not understand the American SUV-mania!!???!
Does all the americans went 2/3 weekend in mountains? snowy lands, muddy beaches or what?
Are US roads so bad? that you need the tough suspensions of a SUV?
Or is just the size that counts?

·
Registered
514 Posts

It's a stupid stupid Napoleon complex. All they want is the size, the domination, and something to make up for their overall TERRIBLE driving skills. Average Americans have NO business driving on any road in my opinion. And then they get into underpowered, overloaded, underbraked SUVs!!! ARrrrgh!

-Alt

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I replied to your thread Matt, but I'll repeat myself here. You would probably get more replies if you made links to the sites you're pointing out. Yes, people ARE that lazy. See, I inserted the picture and the story, and *poof* people reply. You have to make it easy, or they'll move on. Also, your thread doesn't invite a reply. What is there to say, other than thank you for the links you didn't provide? (Thank you for pointing out the sites by the way :D ).

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Scion xA

The xA makes its North American debut as a muscular subcompact five-door that features an athletic stance, sculpted wheel arches and tightly connected visual cues that flow dramatically from front to rear.  The xA is powered by a 108 horsepower 1.5-liter engine.  Buyers can select either a standard five-speed manual transmission or an available four-speed automatic. The xA will launch initially in California this June and will carry Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices (MSRP) below $16,000.
The xA has a wide front grille and strong rocker panel extensions that enhance the horizontal, muscular stance and visually draw the vehicle closer to the ground.  Buyers can choose from a palette of six exterior colors.
Inside, the xA is visually appealing, with metal-tone instrument panel trim and matching ventilation controls on the center console, stylized black-on-white gauges and textured treatments on the doors, dashboard and seats.  The xA's interior is as functional as it is eye-catching.  There are numerous storage bins including an illuminated translucent storage compartment in the center cluster and hidden under-floor storage in the cargo area, which gives owners maximum flexibility for carrying large and small items.  The xA also features a standard cargo area cover to ensure that items are stored safely out of sight.

The Scion xA is packed with standard features, which include:  
• Power steering, windows, door locks and mirrors,  
• Air conditioning,  
• Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS);  
• Sport seats,  
• 60/40-split folding rear seat,  
• And a first aid kit.  [/b]
Toyota's next entry to stave off becoming the next Oldsmobile. Notice the nice marketing speak: "muscular, athletic, sculpted". All this around a 108 hp 1.5 liter engine. :hoho :hoho How appropriate for the younger generation - all show, no go.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Matt, you weren't giving a link, you were giving a URL, that's different. A link is clickable and takes you directly to the source of info...

And also, as pointed out: if you WISH for a reply, end your lines with a question...:D

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

This Just In! A thread-jacking is being reported in the Other Cars Forum. Steve6er, the notorious thread-jacker and post whore is the suspected ring leader. More details to come.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I am suspecting that Kenoka is a PW-wannabe...:D I must comment him upon his increasingly brilliant PW-dom.:D

Not many manage making their PW carreer commenting others' PW-ing...:D

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

And to let go of the thread-napping (point taken):sarc :

Wasn't this thread about the LA Auto Show?

Back to topic, folks!:)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts