Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently bought a speed 6 with a dealer replaced motor. According to the invoice from the mid 2010s, the part number is L3M6-02-300M. Is it a gen 2 engine or is there a way to know if the vvt must've been done already or did they just replace it with another gen 1 speed engine? The engine is around 66k miles and I just want to figure out if I should get the VVT and the associated parts replaced or if I am in the clear.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You can never trust dealers, they just get the engines from wrecked or junked cars. Also, you absolutely can't trust the mileage.
Mazdaspeed engine code is L3K9 on the first gen. I don't know about 2nd gen, but it should be the same L3K9.

Remove the valve cover and inspect the VVT and chain tension (turn the crank with a wrench to properly inspect chain tension). If it's OK, then don't waste your money. Also, does it rattle while driving with light throttle and does it rattle on startup? That may be a sign that it needs that job done.

If you don't hear any noises and the engine runs fine and you don't have a check engine light, then just drive it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts