Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the adjustable sport Koni's are finally installed. The fronts, you know where you have to hack the original shock in half and insert the koni like a strut, were easy compared to the backs. I used a dremel with a cut-off wheel to perfrom surgery on the front shock bodiers and it went reasonable easily.

The rears were a pain in the rear!! The instructions on this board made it look easy enough. I had all the right tools, every curiously shaped wrench known to man and an air compressor. What the instructions in this forum fail to include is 2 little things called half shafts, that are right in the way the whole time. That said, 2 1/2 hours beginning to end for the rear install. No bruises and no cross-threads. Not too bad.

So, now for the performance. I set the fronts to full firmness and the rears at 1/2 way for the virgin voyage. I originally thought I could set the rears at 1/2 and leave them that way all the time. Now, I'm thinking I'm going to go ahead and unbolt the lower on the rear shocks and adjust them to full soft for normal driving and firm them up for the track. All that to say, there is a noticable difference in the sharpness of the handing with a directly related impact on ride quality. The turn in (with fronts firm & rears 1/2) is very sharp and the communication between the car and driver is improved in transitional responses in particular. There's a new found crispness to the handling that didn't exist before. I'm looking forward to getting on the track next spring, hopefully with some swaybars and a front Camber kit?!?!?!?!? Also, I really wish Koni could have devised a way of adjusting the shocks remotely, similar to the fronts. To adjust the rears, you have to unbolt the lower connection point, fully compress the shock and turn it one way or the other. I'm still not quite sure which way is firm and which is soft (another reason to set them at 1/2)

I don't know that these results can be achieved without the lowered stance and stiffer springs installed on the car. It might be interesting to know what effect they have on the ride/handling of the car otherwise stock. Since I'm no longer stock, this is a mute argument but interesting none the less. Also, for those of you who might be wondering , the body and stroke length of the Konis appear to be near identical to stock. A lot has been said about the shock's operating range (over its stroke) and unfortunately, the range will be roughly the same Stock to Koni. Long story short, these shocks are NOT shorter than stock.

Overall, I give the install a C-, not impossible, but plan some time and the rears are neeldessly complex. The performance is shaping up to be an A-, maybe even an A. As an integral part of an overall suspension scheme, these shocks prove worthy, with the option of setting them for a very compliant ride.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Nice review... I have been thinking about going Koni's lately but I HATE the install.... hopefully a nice bolt in shock solution soon, i'm working on it...

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
~.... hopefully a nice bolt in shock solution soon, i'm working on it...
[/b]
How so?

I spoke with the guys at Tri-Point Engineering last week to discuss their capabilities and interest in suspension work for the vehicle. They sounded very interested in looking into doing suspension work on the Speed6.

I will talk to them tomorrow about setting up a date this week to talk as well as look at my vehicle. Ideally, I'd like to see a spring/shock/sway/bushing/camber kit.

We'll see....

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Nice review... I have been thinking about going Koni's lately but I HATE the install.... hopefully a nice bolt in shock solution soon, i'm working on it...
[/b]
The fronts are not bad at all. It's getting the rear shocks out and in is what's a PITA. What should be worked on is finding a way to adjust the rears externally without unbolting the suspension. I would love that!

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Also, for those of you who might be wondering , the body and stroke length of the Konis appear to be near identical to stock. A lot has been said about the shock's operating range (over its stroke) and unfortunately, the range will be roughly the same Stock to Koni. Long story short, these shocks are NOT shorter than stock.[/b]
Are you sure?

That is direct contradiction to this post:
http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewtopic.php?p=35107#35107

Seriously tho, heres a pic of Koni front travel if anyones interested, looks to be a bit more than stock, about 5.75" vs stocks 4.5" (including bumpstop travel).[/b]
I think the rears are the same length, but that picture did show the fronts having more travel than stock. Maybe the Mazdaspeed shocks have more travel than standard 6 shocks?

Measure your stockers now that they're off your car, please.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I would like to know if they are the same shocks....

I think next I might be the first person to attempt a front sway bar (other than the designed AutoEXE) on a Speed6...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure?

That is direct contradiction to this post:
http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewtopic.php?p=35107#35107
I think the rears are the same length, but that picture did show the fronts having more travel than stock. Maybe the Mazdaspeed shocks have more travel than standard 6 shocks?

Measure your stockers now that they're off your car, please.
[/b]
Unfortunately, I can't measure the front shocks as they had to give up their lives in favor of the new ones. As far as the shock strokes are concerned, I'm really not sure whether there's a difference or not. However, if the shock body length is the same, which they appear to be, and the overall length is the same, which they definitely were, then the position of the piton within the shock must be (relatively) the same. That doesn't mean the % of travel will be the same necessarily; that depends on the internals. All that said, I just measured the travel of the stock rear shock at 5" give or take an 1/8th.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Unfortunately, I can't measure the front shocks as they had to give up their lives in favor of the new ones. As far as the shock strokes are concerned, I'm really not sure whether there's a difference or not. However, if the shock body length is the same, which they appear to be, and the overall length is the same, which they definitely were, then the position of the piton within the shock must be (relatively) the same. That doesn't mean the % of travel will be the same necessarily; that depends on the internals. All that said, I just measured the travel of the stock rear shock at 5" give or take an 1/8th.
[/b]

Jamespeed 6,

Can you tell me where you got the Koni's for a Mazdaspeed 6. I emailed Koni a couple of months ago looking for their shocks for my Speed 6 and was told they didn't make anything for the AWD Speed 6. I remember reading somebody on the message board like Crossbow or Stretch or somebody like that, who raved about Koni's and what a great shock they were, so I thought they would be well worth looking into.
After launching my car a few times, I found it squated so much that maybe an adjustable rear shock with a stiffer spring would make a big difference to the way the suspension reacted.
Anyway, if you can steer me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Rocket 6

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jamespeed 6,

Can you tell me where you got the Koni's for a Mazdaspeed 6. I emailed Koni a couple of months ago looking for their shocks for my Speed 6 and was told they didn't make anything for the AWD Speed 6. I remember reading somebody on the message board like Crossbow or Stretch or somebody like that, who raved about Koni's and what a great shock they were, so I thought they would be well worth looking into.
After launching my car a few times, I found it squated so much that maybe an adjustable rear shock with a stiffer spring would make a big difference to the way the suspension reacted.
Anyway, if you can steer me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Rocket 6
[/b]
Here you go, enjoy!! By the way, they didn't take too long to get, I'm pretty sure they shipped direct from Koni, I don't think RPM stocks them.

http://www.therpmstore.com/index.php?cPath...d2db6cedf10535e

-James

1 - 9 of 9 Posts