Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone out there using the Koni adjustable shocks on their Speed6? I just want to make sure that the ones RPM sells are the right ones. The RPM site says they are, but the Koni site says they aren't for 4wd models.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since no one answered, does that mean I'll be the first kid in town to conduct the shock-ectomy and install these bad boys? They should arrive in a week or so.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I dont see a MS6 part number on the Koni site. So I would think valving might be a bit light for the rear. Let us know how they work out. Are you going with a more aggressive/shorter spring?

I have used Koni's since the 70's and have rarely been disapointed. My only concern is that these may not be the right shock for the MS6. Although with adjustables you can crank up the rears to give you firmer damping.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont see a MS6 part number on the Koni site. So I would think valving might be a bit light for the rear. Let us know how they work out. Are you going with a more aggressive/shorter spring?

I have used Koni's since the 70's and have rarely been disapointed. My only concern is that these may not be the right shock for the MS6. Although with adjustables you can crank up the rears to give you firmer damping.
[/b]
Correct, the valving can be compensated for by the adjustment, to a point.

Shorter springs are already on, they are the Mazdaspeed springs for the V-6. So, when it's done, the shocks and springs will both be V-6 units, rather than MSP parts. That said, no ill effects from the springs at all, in fact they're great. They're not too stiff, not too soft. The ride is a little harsh with the Falken 615's, but the OEM wheels/tires ride nicely. I'm looking for the Koni's to give me a sharper edge when I want it (at SCCA events) and maintain an acceptable ride when I don't (Commuting).

·
Registered
353 Posts
Correct, the valving can be compensated for by the adjustment, to a point.

Shorter springs are already on, they are the Mazdaspeed springs for the V-6. So, when it's done, the shocks and springs will both be V-6 units, rather than MSP parts. That said, no ill effects from the springs at all, in fact they're great. They're not too stiff, not too soft. The ride is a little harsh with the Falken 615's, but the OEM wheels/tires ride nicely. I'm looking for the Koni's to give me a sharper edge when I want it (at SCCA events) and maintain an acceptable ride when I don't (Commuting).
[/b]
Are you planning on changing the settings often? If the Koni's are like they are on a lot of cars, you have to have the shock off or partially apart to adjsut them. They require you to push the piston/ shaft all the way in and turn it.

Not all Koni's do though but many do.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Are you planning on changing the settings often? If the Koni's are like they are on a lot of cars, you have to have the shock off or partially apart to adjsut them. They require you to push the piston/ shaft all the way in and turn it.

Not all Koni's do though but many do.
[/b]
You would have to do that for the rear shocks. The front are externally adjustable.

·
Registered
353 Posts
You would have to do that for the rear shocks. The front are externally adjustable.
[/b]
Ok. I know some cars you have to do that for both front and rear, but some just the rears. Be nice if both were externally adjustable.

·
Registered
506 Posts
How much are the shocks you got? I would love to get lowwer springs and newe shocks but i don't know what combo would work the best for the money. that is why i want to know how these work and how much thry cost.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much are the shocks you got? I would love to get lowwer springs and newe shocks but i don't know what combo would work the best for the money. that is why i want to know how these work and how much thry cost.
[/b]

www.therpmstore.com around $500

·
Registered
851 Posts
unless these have shorter shock bodies they aren't going to help that much if your car is lowered as far as life expectancy of the shock.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can now confirm that the rears require unbolting the top or bottom to adjust with the shock body. The fronts adjust with the knob, through the stem. I will be putting these on in a few weeks probably, I'll be out of town most of the time between now and then.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
We sold another set today along with some springs to a Speed6 owner.

He is very active here on the forums and has one of the best Speeds on this board. I'm sure you'll see a review from him wihtint the next 2-3 weeks. (Springs are delayed :/)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We sold another set today along with some springs to a Speed6 owner.

He is very active here on the forums and has one of the best Speeds on this board. I'm sure you'll see a review from him wihtint the next 2-3 weeks. (Springs are delayed :/)
[/b]
What makes him (her) so special? What, you don't like me buying your koni's, I'm not good enough for you?

JUST KIDDING!!

I received them in the mail yesterday in perfect condition. As I said, they'll probably go on when I get back from gay Paris. Looking forward to it. Pleasure doing business with you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
AWR has been using aftermarket shocks on their speed6 pace car at laguna seca for a few months now. I believe they are konis but they had them valved for them.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Tri-point uses 8611's, the double-adjustable version of the 8610's (Yellow's), on their Mazda6 race car. I bet AWR does too. Tri-point is an authorized Koni rebuild ship, so if anyone ever wants to revalve their Koni's, that's the place to send 'em.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts