Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone out there can give me an idea what my problem is because the dealer is just giving me the "Unable to recreate" treatment.

I have an 05 6s ATX with a little under 3k miles. Recently I noticed a knocking sound from the engine but I can't seem to pinpoint the location. It only happens after the car is warm, maybe after 5-10 minutes of driving. When I accelerate from a dead stop I get this loud knocking up to about 2500 rpm and then it seems to stop when cruising in higher gears but sure enough it's back the next time I come to a stop and start again.

The strangest thing is if I turn off the car and fire it up right away it goes away for another 5-10 minutes. I can even recreate the problem in Park by revving the engine a little. I'm stumped and the dealer isn't working with me. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
i have a similar issue accept it knocks not at low rpms it knocks when im turning the wheel and making turns. its kind of like a muffled clank. You can try taking someone from the dealer out for a drive and re create the knocking sound with them in the car...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a steady knock that get's louder as I give it gas. If I'm in park and just slowly give it gas it will start to knock at about 1000 rpm and it gets louder and faster as the rpms climb to about 2000-2300. It seems like it's coming from the engine and not an interior sound like the dash. When I took it to the dealer I brought the service bulletin about the cam tick thinking it might be that but they said they heard nothing. It's annoying when they say that because I can recreate the sound 100% of the time.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
maybe as the rpms go up and the engine rocks faster and faster its rubbing up against something? i dont know much about cars but it seems like a logical assumption..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was hoping maybe someone else had the same problem and it was diagnosed so I would have some ammo and knowledge when I went back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess that's the problem with posts sometimes...what one person thinks is a tap another maight think it's a rattle and the third would say it's a knock. I tried to get the sound on a wav file but it didn't pick it up. Too much background noise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I actually started to notice the same thing with my '05 6 the other day. After it starts idling normally, or maybe after about 10 min of driving, between about 1k-2.5K when giving it gas, I start hearing a tick/knock. I'm not sure if it entirely goes away after 2.5K, or if the engine noise overcomes the tick. I have it scheduled to be taken in this week.

I also have some weird downshifting shock into 4th around 40mph while coasting. Hoping i can get them to do a TDM upgrade.

I'm about 3k miles into the car also.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Originally posted by JMoney6@Nov 2 2005, 10:25 PM
Hopefully someone out there can give me an idea what my problem is because the dealer is just giving me the "Unable to recreate" treatment.

I have an 05 6s ATX with a little under 3k miles. Recently I noticed a knocking sound from the engine but I can't seem to pinpoint the location. It only happens after the car is warm, maybe after 5-10 minutes of driving. When I accelerate from a dead stop I get this loud knocking up to about 2500 rpm and then it seems to stop when cruising in higher gears but sure enough it's back the next time I come to a stop and start again.

The strangest thing is if I turn off the car and fire it up right away it goes away for another 5-10 minutes. I can even recreate the problem in Park by revving the engine a little. I'm stumped and the dealer isn't working with me. Any help is appreciated!
[snapback]548925[/snapback]​
I think I have the same problem. I posted it before, but no resonable answer. well, anyways, it mostly happens when I'm in 3rd and 4th gears. as I accelerte (slowly, not pushing the car), the knocking/metallic rattling noise starts to eminate at about 1800 rpm's and cuts off at about 2000 rpm's (2000 rpm's is when I usually have my gears switch on my 6s with ATX). so once the gear switches to a higher one, at about 2000-2100 rpm's the sound goes away. its mostl heard in 3rd and 4th gears. I sometimes have heard it even in 5th gear, but even then, once I hit 2000 rpm's it goes away. I hate it, as it makes me worry that its a serious problem. And I know that the dealer might say they can't replicate it!!! see how it turns out for you and let me and us know. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Pitr@Nov 13 2005, 02:39 AM
I actually started to notice the same thing with my '05 6 the other day.  After it starts idling normally, or maybe after about 10 min of driving, between about 1k-2.5K when giving it gas, I start hearing a tick/knock.  I'm not sure if it entirely goes away after 2.5K, or if the engine noise overcomes the tick.  I have it scheduled to be taken in this week. 

I also have some weird downshifting shock into 4th around 40mph while coasting.  Hoping i can get them to do a TDM upgrade.

[snapback]556319[/snapback]​
Pitr, I just started getting that same downshifting as well. Not all the time but when it does happen it's definitely a shock. I was cruising at 40-45 in 6th with my foot on the gas when suddenly the ATX just drops to 4th gear. Then I can't get it out of 4th gear without switching to M mode. Please let me know what you find out about both issues when you take it in. I won't be able to get mine in for about a week. I already took it in once and got no where.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Pitr@Nov 13 2005, 02:39 AM
I actually started to notice the same thing with my '05 6 the other day.  After it starts idling normally, or maybe after about 10 min of driving, between about 1k-2.5K when giving it gas, I start hearing a tick/knock.  I'm not sure if it entirely goes away after 2.5K, or if the engine noise overcomes the tick.  I have it scheduled to be taken in this week. 

I also have some weird downshifting shock into 4th around 40mph while coasting.  Hoping i can get them to do a TDM upgrade.

[snapback]556319[/snapback]​
Pitr, I just started getting that same downshifting as well. Not all the time but when it does happen it's definitely a shock. I was cruising at 40-45 in 6th with my foot on the gas when suddenly the ATX just drops to 4th gear. Then I can't get it out of 4th gear without switching to M mode. Please let me know what you find out about both issues when you take it in. I won't be able to get mine in for about a week. I already took it in once and got no where.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Is the sound form right front side of the car?

If it is, check I believe "EGA valve", which is located right after the firewall outside the right fron seat.

EDIT: Here is the correct info:

Customer states noice hen applying gas see RUI
Purge Solenoid
R/R and replace purged solenoid value
parts-----qty----FP-NUMBER--------description-------
1 L391-18-740B valve.solenoid

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by JMoney6@Nov 15 2005, 10:28 PM
[snapback]558488[/snapback]​

I've never gotten stuck in any gear. normally when it does the 6->4 drop right after i take my foot off the gas, and start deaccelerating, it pops right back into 6th with a touch of the gas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took the car in again for the same knocking sound only now it's getting worse and I can feel it in the gas pedal. Amazing that 100% of the people that get in my car can hear it 100% of the time and comment on how bad it sounds yet these fother mucking techs still can't hear it. I guess I just have to bring it in once more and then I'm eligible for the NJ Lemon Law. Considered trading it in but the value of these cars drops ridiculously fast. Bought the car 2 months ago fully loaded and the MSRP was $28,500 (not what I paid) but I just did a Blue Book on it and it's only worth $19,000 with 2,800 miles! Also, I started getting the infamous cam tick and they can't hear that either. I even pointed out the TSB but that didn't seem to help. Unfortunately, these idiots are the only Mazda dealership in South NJ.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Took the car in again for the same knocking sound only now it's getting worse and I can feel it in the gas pedal. Amazing that 100% of the people that get in my car can hear it 100% of the time and comment on how bad it sounds yet these fother mucking techs still can't hear it. I guess I just have to bring it in once more and then I'm eligible for the NJ Lemon Law. Considered trading it in but the value of these cars drops ridiculously fast. Bought the car 2 months ago fully loaded and the MSRP was $28,500 (not what I paid) but I just did a Blue Book on it and it's only worth $19,000 with 2,800 miles! Also, I started getting the infamous cam tick and they can't hear that either. I even pointed out the TSB but that didn't seem to help. Unfortunately, these idiots are the only Mazda dealership in South NJ.
[/b]
I have the same problem, went two different dealer last week. First one fix the fan problem but say not hear anything from the engine......well, second one manager said they knew this problem already and will take care it. I wait there 5 hours......(they don't have rental car for me), and til 5:30PM I finally got my car back. After around 5 mins driving way back to home, I hear that noise again.......I am going to other country very soon and no time for me to go to any dealer again now. I will give Mazda dealer two more chance to fix the problem, otherwise I will go ahead to apply lemon law.......it just waste my time in there.
Mine is 05 Mazda6 only 8000K miles.......

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got the "noise/knock" also with about 11k miles on the vehicle. Started noticing it about three weeks ago when it started getting cold here in Michigan. It starts after the car has been driven for a while. In park or neutral you can hear it change with increasing or decreasing rpm's. If you shut the car off and restart it after hearing the noise, the noise goes away until the car is driven a while. They noise can't be heard under the hood. I had a buddy sit inside and vary the rpm's while I stuck my head under the hood. I also have the abrubt downshift from 5th to 4th. Most noticable when slowly braking to a stop or coasting down a hill when trying to maintain a slow speed.

It's going to the dealer on Thursday for the downshift problem, hope the engine noise can be heard also.

·
Registered
676 Posts
How "loud" is this noise that everyone is talking about? Also, are you running with the stock airbox or a CAI?

I'm experiencing a very faint tapping under the same conditions that everyone is describing above. From the driver seat, windows and hood closed, s-l-o-w-l-y rev'ing the engine and rolling the car from a stop, the tapping is very faint and hard to notice, but it is there from idle to 2000 rpm. I can't hear anything after that cause wind, engine, road noise take over.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How "loud" is this noise that everyone is talking about? Also, are you running with the stock airbox or a CAI?

I'm experiencing a very faint tapping under the same conditions that everyone is describing above. From the driver seat, windows and hood closed, s-l-o-w-l-y rev'ing the engine and rolling the car from a stop, the tapping is very faint and hard to notice, but it is there from idle to 2000 rpm. I can't hear anything after that cause wind, engine, road noise take over.
[/b]
My car is completely stock. The knock was really faint at first but it's gradually getting louder and I can even feel it in the pedal so turning up the radio isn't even an option anymore. I finally got the dealer to hear it when I came in to pick the car up. He told me to just keep driving it for another 1,000-2,000 miles to see if it will just go away on it's own! Can you believe that? At this point I'm hoping it's something major and the engine just fails. It seems like it's the only way I'll be able to get some service.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My vehicle is completely stock. You need the radio and fan off to really hear the noise well. I can make it a liitle louder by putting the car in drive or reverse and setting the parking brake and then slowly rev the engine up.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
About this Discussion
89 Replies
30 Participants
Final Impact
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing