Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone,

Here in the U.S. there is a company called Kleen Wheels that makes a special dust-shield wheel insert to keep brake dust off the rims. It also safely covers the internals of the wheel so that as the car ages, the corrosion on the rotor, caliper and suspension components aren't visible to everyone, maintaining the appearance.

The problem: Kleen Wheels doesn't have a dust-shield to fit the 6 right now. When I called yesterday, he said I was the first person to ask for it and it'd be sometime in Spring before he'd have anything at all. He was stunned Mazda had a car with 17's.

I've never used them on one of my cars, but I'm going to get a set for my 6s. I knew about these because my Father used a set for his Enkei's and they worked just great.

If you're interested in getting a set for your car, please give Kleen Wheels a call or email them a request. If demand is present, I'm sure they'll tool up that much sooner, which helps those of us interested.

Depending on the source, pricing for existing models has ranged from $40 to $70 for a set of four.

Kleen Wheels phone - 800-327-6548

Email - [email protected]

·
Registered
514 Posts
Reading Topic: Kleen Wheels

Pictures? It sounds like they cover the brake rotor? If so, I'm not interested- I'd rather not reduce the cooling efficiency of the rotors. Pics would help, though... may not be how they work at all.

-Alt

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Take a look at this link:

http://www.kleenwheels.com/all_about_us.htm

The shields are vented - although it's difficult to see. I've been around a car with a set of these in use - no issues with heat. They also claim that the way the shield is vented actually enhances airflow over the brakes.

In any case, if you mount a set of steel wheels with hubcaps (like on a base model 6); you've essentially restricted the airflow just as much, if not more than Kleen Wheels. No one questions brake cooling on those and it's the exact same braking system as the higher end models.

·
Registered
514 Posts

First off, I wouldn't use steel wheels with hubcaps :)

second, thanks for the link. Looks like ventilation might be fine, but I'd never get over the ugliness. Personally. I like being able to see a sexy brake caliper and rotor under the wheel. It's part of the performance aura for me.

thanks though,
-Alt

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Won't those things make the car look like it HAD steelwheels? I mean the sheild looks just like the face of a steel wheel...

Secondly - there where quite a lot of brake dust on the front wheels when whe changed for winter wheels. It looked just like coal power - and was just as easy to swipe off!! Used just a try cloth and they where clean again... Now whe have the 17" wheels paint protected, so it should maybe be even easier.

·
Registered
514 Posts

Yeah brake dust really is no big deal with simple elegant designs like the '6's 17 inchers.

-Alt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts