Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just took out the counterweight as it was staring at me... taunting me.. and I have to say.. I kinda like it so far. The shifting seems quicker and smoother.

I just did it like 10 minutes ago so thats my initial impression... have to see how I like it tomorrow on my way to work. Anyone else try this?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I know p5freek cut his in his fmic thread. I had thought about trying it, but didn't want to cut it. I may have to try removing it if I'm bored.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I know p5freek cut his in his fmic thread. I had thought about trying it, but didn't want to cut it. I may have to try removing it if I'm bored.
[/b]

i removed mine today, as well as adjusting the clutch. seems pretty good, i dont know if im not that observant, or if i just dont let my mind play with me.

·
Registered
672 Posts
What's the purpose of the counterweight? I think I read on another thread that it's for "feel"?

·
Registered
820 Posts
i did this about 4 months ago, completely removed it. It does seem to "liven" up the shifting. I believe that weight is just an effort reducing mechanism, to gain momentum during the shift to make it easier to shift gears. I don't believe it is a vibration damper of any sort. I haven't noticed and vibrations in my shifter and I've been driving without it for almost 3000 miles now. It weighs a good 5 pounds if I had to guess.

·
Registered
353 Posts
i did this about 4 months ago, completely removed it. It does seem to "liven" up the shifting. I believe that weight is just an effort reducing mechanism, to gain momentum during the shift to make it easier to shift gears. I don't believe it is a vibration damper of any sort. I haven't noticed and vibrations in my shifter and I've been driving without it for almost 3000 miles now. It weighs a good 5 pounds if I had to guess.
[/b]
Basically that. There ot help shift and to help keep from grinding gears. More momentum for when going into the gears. The EVO VIII and EVO IX have them. I dont plan to remove it as its something to help get the car into gear and I can't see it affecting how fast you could shift by much, but maybe it does. I'll leave it in though to help keep from grinding any gears.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I just prefer to be the one to totally "do" the shift, i feel like i have more control of the shifter that way. It's definately a personal preference thing though. Just like some people like tons of power assisted steering and others like to do it all manually.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts