Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, not sure if this will work from a sidekick but ill give it a shot.

Well laying on the beach today, I was thinking about the keyless system....

How does it work? Is it a bluetooth setup? WIFI?

Anyone with any info?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i second RFID.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Just a simple RFID system. Nothing particularly fancy at all really. Just an expanded version of the PATS system you may be familiar with the Cougar or what you had on your old Mazda6. It's just those required that they key be within inches of the steering wheel rather than several feet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but, does this system allow you to REMOTELY start the car or is it that you just don't need to put the key in to start or unlock it?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but, does this system allow you to REMOTELY start the car or is it that you just don't need to put the key in to start or unlock it?
[/b]
No remote starter capabilities. You just don't need a key to unlock/lock it or start the car.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I love the auto-down window feature... if only we can get theto go up when arming :/

Great to have here in Florida, autostart would be better for a turbo car, to warm up the motor. I don't plan to alter the alarm system in any way and I cannot recallany member with a Speed6 who has done any aftermarket alarm (besides shock sensor upgrade).

The car hs 3 sensors for us with the smart keyless, front, middle and rearof the car.

I didn;t even know out trunk had a button until I read the manual! But I couldn'tfind info on re-programming it, any help?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
our trunk has a button?

·
Registered
661 Posts
yeah - read the manual.

it's under the lip to the left of middle - unlocks the trunk and all the doors

·
Registered
829 Posts
We have a trunk?!

Okay, that was bad. But um...I don't think we can reprogram anything besides have the dealer do the auto-lock thing.

Although, anyone notice that if you unlock the car but don't go in, it locks up by itself? Or is that just my car doing weird things?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Nope, it's not a weird thing that only your car is doing. My car, with the regular keyless entry system, does the same thing. It relocks itself and flashes the lights after about 15 or 30 secs (didn't actually time it) if I don't open a door. Once I do open a door it never relocks by itself.

I think I read it in the owner's manual too. Probably a safety/security type feature.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I love the auto-down window feature... if only we can get theto go up when arming :/

Great to have here in Florida, autostart would be better for a turbo car, to warm up the motor. I don't plan to alter the alarm system in any way and I cannot recallany member with a Speed6 who has done any aftermarket alarm (besides shock sensor upgrade).

The car hs 3 sensors for us with the smart keyless, front, middle and rearof the car.

I didn;t even know out trunk had a button until I read the manual! But I couldn'tfind info on re-programming it, any help?
[/b]
It actually has 6 antenna. 3 inside, 3 outside.

You can get the windows to go up if you hold down the request switch. (button on the door handle)

You could just do the 1 touch close on the windows while in the car, its much easier.

·
Registered
361 Posts
It's just those required that they key be within inches of the steering wheel rather than several feet.
[/b]
Not really... I let my friend drive one day, and when stopped for gas he stayed in the driver's seat whilst I went to pay (let him drive and I still pay.... how the hell does that work!). As I was walking back he said he had turned the key and held it (I don't know why, don't ask), when I got about 3-4 feet away from the car the starter turned and the car fired up. So, no you don't have to have the key next to the steering wheel. I'm sure it also depends on how much juice your remote battery has.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Not really... I let my friend drive one day, and when stopped for gas he stayed in the driver's seat whilst I went to pay (let him drive and I still pay.... how the hell does that work!). As I was walking back he said he had turned the key and held it (I don't know why, don't ask), when I got about 3-4 feet away from the car the starter turned and the car fired up. So, no you don't have to have the key next to the steering wheel. I'm sure it also depends on how much juice your remote battery has.
[/b]

That shouldn't be possible. There is a sensor in the inside roof of the car that picks up the key's rfid when it is inside the car. You'll notice in your gauge cluster, there is a little light of a car I think that lights up when the key card is in the car. I had mine on the roof of the car when I was putting in my intake, and I couldn't even start the car, I had to reach up and pull the keycard inside the car to start it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
[/b]
The stock remote/keyfob can't remotely start the car, but you can have an aftermarket remote starter installed. I have one (for the winter and hot summer days)

·
Registered
672 Posts
That shouldn't be possible. There is a sensor in the inside roof of the car that picks up the key's rfid when it is inside the car. You'll notice in your gauge cluster, there is a little light of a car I think that lights up when the key card is in the car. I had mine on the roof of the car when I was putting in my intake, and I couldn't even start the car, I had to reach up and pull the keycard inside the car to start it.
[/b]
Not sure about starting the car but I've been 3-4 feet away while someone else unlocked it. I'm going to check whether the ignition if I'm outside the car when I go out to my car after work tonight.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Not sure about starting the car but I've been 3-4 feet away while someone else unlocked it. I'm going to check whether the ignition if I'm outside the car when I go out to my car after work tonight.
[/b]
There are I believe 4 outdoor sensors for unlocking. One in each front door, one hood, one trunk. I am assuming that system is independant of the starting sensor in the headliner.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know there are one for each front door and one in the trunk. I'm not sure about one in the hood. There should also be one inside that (theoretically) should pick up only signals from the inside.

I also know the following:

1.) If you have one remote inside and one remote outside the car, you can not use the one-touch to lock the doors. It'll beep two consecutive beeps three times to signify an error.

2.) If you leave the car running, and you leave the inside of the car, you'll get the same error beeps.

The next one, I really don't get. I'm sure some have had this problem.

3.) If you press the button on the passenger side once, and open the driver side door, the alarm goes off.

So either this is an error (unique or common), or I'm really smoking something! :p

·
Registered
87 Posts
Can someone clear this up for me pls.

If I leave the car running, I can run into my house to grab something and it beeps at me. How exactly does this keep the car safe? I've spent as much as 5 minutes in the house with the car running.

Is it just if someone jacks it and shuts it off, they can't start it again? If thats the case a thief with half a brain would never shut it off.

·
Registered
856 Posts
There are 6 sensors total. One built into each request switch. (driver door, pass. door, trunk) Each request switch has approximately a 2 foot range.
3 sensors inside the car that will allow the car to start and not lock the keys inside. (dash, center console, trunk)

Thats what the technical highlight manual tells me.

Once the car has been started with the card you do not need it to drive off. Once you turn off the car you need the card again. I started my car, put the card in the garage and drove it around the block as a test. It never shut off, so if i leave the car running i lock the doors with a key.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts