Mazda 6 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm having the same issue.

I get to the part where you're supposed to press the remote twice (after the locks do their lock-unlock-lock thing and nothing happened.

So I switched it up. Instead of turning the key to on-off three times, I tried it four times (everything else the same). When I pressed the remote after opening and closing the car door three times, the trunk popped open and the horn honked twice. I thought maybe I had been holding the remote upside down and had pressed the trunk release button but was not the case. So I know that the remote does do something. It just won't lock or unlock remotely.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fwiw, I tried this last night, and it worked perfectly. I bought a used remote off Ebay and it came with the same programming directions. I programmed my new remote, and the one I'm currently using. Worked like a charm!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Why will these instructions work for me??? i get no response from my system
but noticed that if you turn you ign on and off 4x it goes through a sequeence of locks unlocks, trunk, and horn/flasher.
somonee PLEASE help

QUOTE (Boston6 @ May 28 2003, 03:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=55368
I figured out how to do it. This works for the keyless entry but not for the immobilizer key. I haven't figured that out....YET!

Step 1: Open drivers door and leave open.

Step 2: Lock and unlock the drivers door using the power door lock switch on the door.

Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.

Step 4: Turn key to on position and return to off position. (IMPORTANT - use ON position NOT ACC position). Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. Leave key in the ignition.

Step 5: Open and close the drivers door 3 times. (Door should be left open after this step).

Step 6: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors.

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Press any button on remote #2 (etc.) Each time the ECU will respond by locking & unlocking the doors.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series of door locks and unlocks. You're done![/b]

·
Registered
84 Posts
QUOTE (Boston6 @ May 28 2003, 12:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=55368
I figured out how to do it. This works for the keyless entry but not for the immobilizer key. I haven't figured that out....YET!

Step 1: Open drivers door and leave open.

Step 2: Lock and unlock the drivers door using the power door lock switch on the door.

Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.

Step 4: Turn key to on position and return to off position. (IMPORTANT - use ON position NOT ACC position). Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. Leave key in the ignition.

Step 5: Open and close the drivers door 3 times. (Door should be left open after this step).

Step 6: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors.

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Press any button on remote #2 (etc.) Each time the ECU will respond by locking & unlocking the doors.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series of door locks and unlocks. You're done![/b]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just wanted to say that these instructions worked perfectly.

Let me back up a bit...

I got to a point where I had two fobs...neither of which worked. They both had just stopped working at some point so I figured I'd put a new battery in, follow these instructions, and then they'd work...however that wasn't the case...neither ended up working.

I called Mazda USA to see if they had different instructions...they said they did not AND if you get to a point where you have zero currently programmed remotes/fobs then you HAVE to go to a certified Mazda dealership so they can reprogram them. Ugh...I called around to the 3 nearest Mazda dealerships and they all gave me a quote of $50 for the effort of reprogramming the fob...which I understand is equivalent to a half-hour of 'labor'.

So I took my car and two non-working-but-with-new-battery fobs to the Mazda dealership. They told me that after multiple attempts they couldn't reprogram either fob and essentially the fobs were broken. They asked me if I wanted to buy a new-OEM-Mazda fob...they had one in stock...it was $92. I said thanks but let me shop around. At that point I was looking at a $92 fob from the dealer + $48 to reprogram. BTW they graciously didn't charge me a dime for the failed reprogramming attempts.

Thankfully a quick eBay search yielded multiple vendors selling used but authentic fobs for around $45. Furthermore they included programming instructions (the exact same ones as stickied in this thread) and they said that these WOULD work REGARDLESS of having any fobs programmed currently.

The fob arrived today...crossed my fingers...I followed the instructions...and low-and-behold it works!!

So takeaways:

1) If your fob isn't working with the instructions provided in this thread then most likely your fob is busted...even after you put in a new battery.
2) I have yet to reprogram my 2 not-working-fobs and will update IF I'm able to successfully reprogram.
3) IF they will not reprogram then most likely the fobs really are busted...I'll tinker around with possibly fixing them and will share my findings if it works out.
4) When in doubt search around for a used fob and then follow the instructions in this thread...it should work out for you...and save you some $$ instead of going to a dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Remote programming

i can see it now...it was all B.S. and a bunch of guys are outside opening and closing their doors witha printout of this post in their hand.... :D
In response to this comment : If you have the technical manual, yes the information on how to program it is the way it was shown by the other member. It would be under tech manual section S.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Im looking for a key as well and saw the same one you posted. You do know that it's already cut so you will need a uncut one.

You would have to get it cut and programmed at a locksmith (some guys have been able to get it cut and programmed it there selves.

·
Registered
130 Posts
hey guys im interested in buying this for my 2007 mazda6 2008 MAZDA 6 KEYLESS ENTRY REMOTE KEY FOB CUT | eBay

but my question is would the key start the car? im confused on how these key systems work.(i know it sounds retarded for me to ask if a key not cut to my ignition works) With that said, is there a way to get one cut to my current ignition?
The dealer can cut you a key via your vin number for your car. So yes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I only have 1 key to my car. It looks just like the one in the ebay link. Would I have issues programming the new one without a second one already programmed?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've changed the batteries in my two key fobs several times. There's no need to reprogram anything unless you wait until the battery in the fob is completely dead. I am pretty sure there's a capacitor in the key fob that holds enough power to get you past the battery swap, unless you let the battery die completely and the capacitor self-discharges. Most remotes are built that way, to keep the memory active temporarily. I change the batteries every year!

If you don't do it regularly, at least change the battery when you find you need to be really close to the car before the unlock signal works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had two dead remotes when Mazda 6 was purchased

I was able to program two spares remotes purchased from EBay with only one working remote using the instructions from this thread.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Can anyone confirm that you can program a single fob WITHOUT any others in hand? I have 1 key and ZERO fobs. I was going to buy a used one on ebay, but want to make sure I will be able to program it by itself?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
As of 2013-01-27, here is a thread in the Mazda 3 forum with pictures and instructions on how to open the Flip key and swap the battery. How to: Replace flip key battery - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

As my key are in my pocket constantly, this was a good time to clean all the parts. Also, this is not membrane type switch that the contacts switches can be cleaned once opened. They are sealed shut and soldered to the circuit board. So if it goes in the drink, don't expect the buttons to work after the pocket grime goes into the switch contacts. Thats not to say you can't dry it in a bag of rice.

Its pretty easy to open once you see the detent to press inside the flip area, the end comes right off. What is not intuitive is opening the case. It opens like a clam shell. Pry and split at the Visteon label area hinging at the key chain area. Walla - opens.
The battery measured 3.067 volts so its fine. If you remove and handle the circuit board; use caution as its static sensitive and can be damaged by an ESD charge. i.e. don't shuffle your feet across the carpet and touch it or you might kill it. Touch something like a grounded chassis .i.e. a computer case, stove, faucet and then open and handle the remote guts (PCBA).

For the people who lost your remote:
The case has this information:
FCC ID: KPU41788
IC 4238A-41525
MAKER: VISTEON
No. :41524

Internal the PCBA: 41780-501-40R
Manuf: epc FRY4R-C 94V0 05-49

Battery: Panasonic CR-1620 3V

JMD902

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just like the two other recent posts, I bought a used 2004 Mazda 6s (5-door). I received just a key. No fob/remote. I was looking for a used one on eBay but I'm a bit hesitant because I want to make sure I purchase the correct one.

I noticed that there were two styles for remotes, one with 4-buttons, and one with 3-buttons. The 3-buttons one is the one I am most concerned about as it's actually a mazda3 remote, but it says that it will fit my car? Would anyone be able to confirm this should work?

Here is a link,
Look Mazda 3 Button Remote Key Fob KPU41846 Model 41846 Tested | eBay

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
The 3 button one is the one I had with my old hatchback.. there is no 'trunk' therefor you don't need the remote with the trunk pop button. The 4 button is for the sedan..

I still need to know if its possible to program a keyfob with only 1 key and nothing else..?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you Axion for replying back, I guess now I am just wondering the same question as you are. I just want to know if I can program a remote with just my 1 key.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The 3 button one is the one I had with my old hatchback.. there is no 'trunk' therefor you don't need the remote with the trunk pop button. The 4 button is for the sedan..

I still need to know if its possible to program a keyfob with only 1 key and nothing else..?
Can't help you on that for certain. Off hand I will say Yes. It's the Key to the ignition that can not be programmed and you must go to the dealer. The fob is separate item on its own.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts