Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
because I know this issue has been hashed to death, but I just picked up mine today..I'm going to start another thread after a few days about what a KICK GODDAMNED ASS this car is...I went straight from the dealer to a tire/wheel shop to put some fancy chrome wheels on it and on the Black Cherry, they look awesome.

My salesperson was NOT up on the car. He could not explain the keyless entry system for the life of him. I have read the threads here related to this issue and couldn't find a basic answer as to how the damn thing works.

From what the sales guy told me, here's how it works. You put the card in your wallet. Yiu walk up to the car and it unlocks automatically and you start the car with the fob. OK, so that's worked me for once or twice but NOT once or twice...are you supposed to PULL the card from your wallet and WAVE it over the car like some kinda voodoo witchy spell? Or is the transmitter not powerful enough to pick up the signal from deep inside my wallet?

And then the leaving/locking question is more confusing. According to him, you get out the car, shut it unlocked, and when the card is out of range, the doors automatically lock. Not. 2nite I took the car out for a spin to show it off to a bud. I exited the car unlooked. I walked in to the house well out of range of the card and yet he could still open the doors...they did not lock. And don't even get me started on how the truck works.

And yeah, I DID read the OM while I was waiting 3 hours for the wheel swap, and I still don't understand it. I'm ready to chuck the whole thing and just use the key, but then if I want to open or lock the doors before I get to the car, I have to pull out the card...the same card that's supposed to
"recognize" me and do these features anyway.

Any help on exactly how this keyless entry system is supposed to work would be much appreciated. I've rarely seen anything so confusing...so you can forget the card and use the key...or you can use the key if it works the way I unnderstand it's supposed to...or you can hit these tiny buttons on the trunk and doors.

Goddamn. I thought technology was about making things easier and simpler!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
The doors will never automatically unlock. When the card is within range, you can press the request buttons on the doors or the trunk to unlock the car. In order for the autolock feature to work you must bring the car back to the dealership service department and ask them to enable it. It's covered under the warranty so if they try to charge you to do it, tell them that they can't charge for that. To start the car, press the clutch and turn the black ignition cover. All this can be done without taking the card out of your pocket, as I do it everyday. Nobody thinks I have a key. They all think the damn car knows my body heat signature or scent or something like that.

That's the intelligent keyless entry in a nutshell.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. So the way I get it, you walk within range and then press the door button.

How about the doors allegingly locking when the car is out of the range of the transmitter? Or do I understand this wrong?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Thanks. So the way I get it, you walk within range and then press the door button.

How about the doors allegingly locking when the car is out of the range of the transmitter? Or do I understand this wrong?
[/b]
yup, its the autolock feature. Get the dealer to enable it for you, and they should do it for free, if they try to charge, rip them a new one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How is this done? Do they "reprogram" the card? you're saying if the repair is done, I can walk away from the car and it automatically locks when I'm out of range?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Theres some procedure they do that gives the car your id, its turned off at the dealership so they can move it easier. anyway, it should be covered under warrenty like clutch adjustments and the such so it will be a free procedure, all it costs is your time.

yes, it does lock when your out of range, however, you have to make sure that all things are closed and nothing is interrupting it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
How is this done? Do they "reprogram" the card? you're saying if the repair is done, I can walk away from the car and it automatically locks when I'm out of range?
[/b]
That's it. They reprogram the car, and it locks when you walk away. As for the start failing to work on a couple of occasions---it is pretty sensitive. If you have the fob in your wallet and are sitting on it, the signal may not be strong enough. I keep mine in my front pants pocket and have had no trouble. When you become accustomed to it, you will love it.
:drive:

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
That's it. They reprogram the car, and it locks when you walk away. As for the start failing to work on a couple of occasions---it is pretty sensitive. If you have the fob in your wallet and are sitting on it, the signal may not be strong enough. I keep mine in my front pants pocket and have had no trouble. When you become accustomed to it, you will love it.
:drive:
[/b]
+1. I couldn't imagine going back to a regular key. I hate having a bunch of keys in my pocket. I put the key card in my front pocket when I get dressed in the AM and it stays in there all day. I have a 2-way lcd remote start on my 6s and I always have to hang it out of my pocket because of the size and it gets in the way. Advanced Keyless is the new jesus.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Its so convenient when you have your hands full. you don't have to go digging for keys. Its just up and press the button with your elbow or something and open the door. honestly, that remote key is the tits. you'll love it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yeah, I love this feature as well. I just go to my car, push the request button, get in and turn the knob to start, very convenient. It works very well when I have a bunch of stuff in my hands. There is no need to find your keyfob or key.

Autolock is awesome, I just have to jump out of the car and walk away without doing anything. But you have to be careful, there are times when it doesn't lock itself for some reason. Make sure you hear the beep when you close the door, then it will beep again to indicate the car is locked and the alarm is on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts