Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife left her handbag in the car in our garage overnight, next day Dead as a Dodo Second time this has happened. Surely Mazdas computer should be able to shut down the key after say 20 minutes.
Anybody else come across this?

·
Registered
297 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife left her handbag in the car in our garage overnight, next day Dead as a Dodo Second time this has happened. Surely Mazdas computer should be able to shut down the key after say 20 minutes.
Anybody else come across this?
Think about what you're asking, for a second. Do you really want your car to shut off your key after 20 minutes?

·
Super Moderator
17,069 Posts
Actually brings up a good study point - I leave my key about 15ft from the car at all times if I'm at home and I've never had an issue. I wonder at what distance does it begin to chatter so much that it hurts the battery (if at all)?

That being said, I can't imagine a key inside the car would chatter enough to ruin the battery overnight......

Also, I suppose what you could do is have the car stop talking to the key after a set amount of time, then require you to press a button on the fob to reactivate it - but then you'd have someone on here complaining about that - you can't appease everyone. Hopefully this gets your wife out of the (bad) habit of leaving her purse and keys in the car :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I leave the key fob in the car while in the garage. I have left the key in the car for up to three weeks. No issues!

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a proximity setting to ascertain key is present in the car versus somewhere in the garage. I've had instances where "start" wouldn't activate because the key wasn't near enough. Some trim packages may have proximity sensors to activate lights upon approaching the vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read all of your comments. In my opinion Mazda has a fault in their key system. Under no circumstances should a key left in the car in your home garage flatten the battery as was in my case twice.I had to get Mazda road service (NRMA) out both times. They could not explain and were bemused that such a thing could happen. Went back to mazda and they checked it out and said it was fixed. Guess what it happened the second time.
I think keyless entry is a joke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts