Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I have read here and other places on the web, The key has to be programmed at the dealer service. Here is my issue. I bought a 6i used with 22k and I only got one key and one keyfob. I got a new keyfob off of ebay and made sure that the FCC info matches up.
Is there any place to get a reasonable replacement key made?
It was mentioned in one post that it cost $80 at a dealer. I am not really wanting to drop that kind of money on a key. What are my alternatives? I can get a key off of ebay for around $12 shipped and have a locksmith cut it. How can I program this myself?

Cody

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
You most likely will not be able to program the key fob yourself due to the PATS system. Try doing a search in this section as I recall a post on this very subject a long while back. I'll look myself and see if I can find it.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I think one programed key will work to program the other key.
Check out this link.
This is how I did mines. And saved a load of money!

---Aloha

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you need 2 already programmed keys? I only have the only that the car came with. I have to go to the dealer to get a front license plate holder and I will inquire about doing the keys while I am there.

Cody

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.