Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the forum. This is pretty much my first post, but I have been poking around through the forums for a while now since I've bought my 2005 Redfire 6. I didn't want to jump right in and start posting things all over the place like most new guys, so I decided to read up on a lot of things before even registering. Recently I was at a flea market around where I live and I spotted Kenwood 12" 1200 watt subs. After reading many reviews it appears at though the subs have pretty decent quality and do very well against many other subs for its price. However, they were listed at the low price of seventy-five dollars a sub, but are still in the box (not the enclosure, the box you buy them in) and am wondering what you guys thought of it. The vendor had many of them, so they didn't look like they had been anything that they had bought off anyone and placed there to get rid of. I was wondering if anyone has heard of any knock-off Kenwood subs or if there's a possibility that there's a lower model that's complete crap or something. I understand that this may not be enough information provided to give me a good solid answer, but if it seems to be that it could be a good deal, I'd definitely be willing to take a run back over there and find out more details and specifications on them. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I haven't heard of any knock-offs.

They are likely legit. Just originally purchased at a big discount when some vendor like Circuit City folded. Or they could be an obsolete model.

But they could be cargo theft.

No real way of knowing 'til you send in the warranty registration card.

And Flea Markey? Is he related to Biz Markie or Markey Mark? :lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
i think theres a brand out called 'kingwood" thats a knock off of kenwood. even if it is kenwood they don't make that good of subwoofers. u can get kicker cvr's and alpine type r's off ebay for around $75 and IMO there way better than kenwood.

·
Registered
809 Posts
ya they are real, you should be able to get a 1200 watt Kenwood for anywhere from 40-70 for a 4 ohm and up to 120 for 2 ohm. Kenwood also has good quality subs. I have a friend who runs 2 12" Kenwoods with a Kenwood Exelon Amp in an H3... and that has some ridiculous bass lol. Anything like Kicker, Rockford Fosgate, Alpine, or Sony you are just paying for the brand name with sub woofers, because you only need to produce a very small range in frequency. If you were going to spend a lot of money on a brand name, do it with speakers because that is the thing that does the most work.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Kicker and Sony?

I tried real hard to like Kicker. Stillwater is not that far away from me and I really wanted to like them.

The Comps are acceptable low end speakers. I rate them a little better than Pyle.

Before Circuit City went tits up, they had a clearance and open box website. They had countless Kicker Solo-barics. WAY more than any other brand. None of them worked. All sold in non-working condition. All the other brands would have a few non-working units but Kicker had probably more than 50... I don't know. I didn't count them. but there were entire pages of nothing but Solo-barics. All broken

So you have like two broken eXcelons compared to 50 broken Kickers. Which one would you assume was better quality?

Sony? I just never really relate Sony car audio products to good SQ. Maybe someone will prove me wrong someday. Kenwood eXcelon to me sounds much better than Xplod

·
Registered
26 Posts
you can blow any speaker if you clip it enough, kicker is no different than any other brand. saying kicker is just a tad better than pyle? haha wow have u ever heard a cvx or L7? those would ass rape the best pyle sub ever made! an name brand costs more? uh not really cvr's are cheap like 75-100 bucks if you want exspensive look up tc sounds 5200 or a dd 9100 neo those are like $700 speakers.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Yeah, I would rate Comps a little better than Pyle.

My stepfather has 2 C10 Comps in his F-150. My SINGLE Polk Momo 10" is every bit as loud and clear. When I was running 2 Polk Momo 10"s in my 'teg, (and a decent headunit) it wasn't even close.

I'm still using one of those two Polks. It's well over 6 years old. I haven't replaced it because my stereo is for me and my listening pleasure only and it still provides as much clarity and full sound as the POS factory headunit can be expected to provide.

I don't know anybody with a 6 year old L7 that gets taken to maximum volume on a regular basis. Not anyone that hasn't replaced it several times.

All I'm saying about the L7 Solobarics is that there were a LOT of them in non-working order where there were few Polk, eXcelon, Alpine, Premier, SAS...etc... That to me is indicative of a quality problem.

Maybe it's because they use aluminum wire on the voice coil. I don't know. I do know that they have a high incidence of failure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
o the comps lol i thought u meant kicker as a whole was just a little better than pyle. An ya im not a fan of the L7's ya they get loud but sound awful and since there square the corners take a lot of stress so mechinical failure is common on them. I love the cvx's though they get loud and sound decent for kicker.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts