Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone successfully using a Kenwood KSC-SW1 powered subwoofer under either of the front seats? Do you guys think it would even fit under there? Here's the link....

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JM4uWnJKTEM/c...3KSCSW1&g=51000

I'm trying to keep my trunk as empty as possible, and am already going to have an amp back there for my fronts and rears. It will be mounted to the back of one of the seats. If I have to put this sub back there, I guess it's no big deal, but I just wanted to see if anyone had done the under-the-seat thing yet.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
if you have powered seats, and seat warmers, i don't think it'll fit

·
Registered
238 Posts
do you think this could mount and sound ok in place of the bose stock sub? basically have it firing though the hole into the cabin.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Just cut up a cardboard box to those dimesions to test fit it but my first impression would be no.

do you think this could mount and sound ok in place of the bose stock sub? basically have it firing though the hole into the cabin.
[/b]
Nope. Its over 15 inches wide with 2 different 6.5" speakers. It wouldn't line up with the opening and would sound like ass

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I was just looking at that today. It's much cheaper on Ebay, and I went out and measured and I THINK it'll fit under the passenger seat. It's only like 3.5 inches tall. I'd love to hear what it sounds like.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well.....I've got it here now, so I'm going to go out and test-fit it tomorrow. I'll let you know what I figure out.....

·
Registered
418 Posts
hate to say it but its gonna sound like crap im sure, had an infinity basslink T in my car with the 10" sub and 2 10" passive radiators, these systems arent very good in my opinion... just buy a 200 watt amp and a 10 and youll be killing most powered systems.... these systems are made for noobs (apologise in sayin that word)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well.....the thing is, I'm not looking to blow out my windows, or those of the houses I happen to drive past. I'm just looking to compliment my stereo setup with some nice, clean bass. The more low-end I can take off my speakers, the better.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Me too. I have a small 10 and amp right now, but it being in the trunk is annoying and you can't hear it that well anyway back there. It's hard to get some good sound in the cabin without your trunk rattlin' like two midgets in the backseat rasslin' :D

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I've been down this road.

I tried a Clarion under-seat subwoofer. It stunk, but was better than nothing. The 6.5" subwoofer couldn't move enough air. Your Kenwood subwoofer is probably no better; that passive radiator works just like a port. It still only moves the same amount of air as a normal 6.5" ported box. If you want a tiny self-contained subwoofer, find a used Subaru OEM subwoofer. The wiring harness will be plug-and-play on a Mazda6 unit too, I think- the connector was familiar. It's basically a rebadged, plug-and-play Clarion unit. They go for $50-$100 used. Use two if you want.

Then I put a 12" subwoofer in the spare tire well. It was too heavy and decreased performance of the car, but it sounded decent. Something in the cabin would have sounded much better. Trunk subwoofers are dumb in a sedan.

I ended up using two very long-throw 6.5" subwoofers in the rear doors. This was by far the best setup I tried. Sound quality was good, they went loud enough, and the drivers were extremly lightweight. I drove them with lightweight digital amplifiers. When the upper bass (80hz, they were crossed over around 50hz to reduce this) got loud, there would be some buzzing in the doors, but overall it wasn't problematic. The two 6.5" woofers could move as much air as some 12" woofers IIRC- they had an extremely long throw. Got them from partsexpress.com.

Search for some of my older posts.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I read a review on this subwoofer somewhere that compared it to that Clarion under-seater, and it said that this thing blew it away. Also, I remember that Crutchfield reviewed the last version of this, the Kenwood Woox, and they actually really liked it. This one's supposed to be far superior to the Woox also. I was planning on redoing my stereo this summer, and I'm really leaning towards this little sub. I agree that a trunk sub in a sedan is a pain, unless it's huge, heavy and trunk shaking, all of which I'm not interested in. I've been using a little Polk 10" with a small MTX amp, but it's too quiet back there. I think I'm going to use the amp I've already got to power some new components and grab this little sub for the cabin.

Stretch, when you used that Clarion sub under the seat, when people sat in the passenger seat did they complain about it vibrating or anything like that? That would probably get annoying as hell.

·
Registered
418 Posts
2 6.5s moving more air than 1 12? in cone area thats 66sqin compares to 113sqin and id guess the xmax of the 6.5s isnt double the xmax of any decent 12

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you get this installed yet? If so, pics? Review of the sound?

I'm really thinking of buying this but I'd love some feedback first.
[/b]

Install date is tomorrow. I'm going to test fit it when I get it home tonight, though, so I'll post my findings then.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Cool, thanks. I'm pretty sure it'll fit nicely under that passenger seat. If it does, sounds decent and doesn't vibrate the shit out of the person sitting in that seat, I'll pick one of these up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool, thanks. I'm pretty sure it'll fit nicely under that passenger seat. If it does, sounds decent and doesn't vibrate the shit out of the person sitting in that seat, I'll pick one of these up.
[/b]
Well.....I just went out to test fit the unit under my passenger seat. It may just be my car, since I have side airbags in my car, but it doesn't fit. There's a bracket under the seat that comes out just far enough not to let it slide under. Therefore, I guess it's headed for the trunk......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
8 Participants
MZBuckeye
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing