Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this kit from the XenonExpert Group Buy in the Group Buy Section

Review

The 5000K kit was mainly white with a touch of blue in it which is exactly what I was looking for.... I believe after time, HIDs kits seem to "rise" slightly so I chose the 5000K kit over the 6000K kit because after a year or two I didnt want my kit to have a touch of purple in it. As for the color, the 5000K katsuro kit is pure white with a hint of blue in it. It matches the autolumination pure white 194s PERFECTLY.

Positives: Light output is excellent, as with all 35 watt HID kits. This is by far one of the better purchases you can make for your car. It instantly makes you car look better and it provides you with much better visability. For 200 bucks, the bulbs have a lifetime warranty and a 2 year warranty on the ballasts. I ALMOST bought a HID kit off eBay but the problem with those are customer support and warranty. At a 200 pricetag, you get the price of the budget HID kits with the backing of a board sponsor...... I couldnt ask for more. I was hoping for something like this to pop up on the boards and so far it loks like my patience has been rewarded.

Overall, installation was a piece of cake. I think a lot of people might steer away from installation because they are afraid of removing their bumper. It seriously takes 10-15 mins and is extremely easy to do. Once you get the bumper off, you have a ton of room to work with and its just a matter of taking off a handful of bolts, drilling a hole in a plastic cap, making 2 connections, and re-assembling. Its really one of the easier mods you could do on your car. From start to finish, it took me about 2 hours to do with my father. We took our time though and I made notes for my writeup and took pictures.....

I did not remove the beam reflector..... so far, I really dont think there is much, if any, glare at all. When looking at it in real life, its flat our goregeous. The only time glare appears is in pictures and thats partly due to my 2 year old camera.....

Negatives: The only negative I have, which is extremely minor, is that the ballast doesnt have 2 screwholes on it. The apexcone and Xtec kits both come with 2 little screwholes so you can use screws for additional support in mounting the ballasts. The 3M tape looks pretty durable and if you clean the surfaces very well, it should work with no problems. This is the only negative I can think of right now.

Disclaimer: This paragraph is my OWN PERSONAL opinion...... There has also been some concern expressed in the past about the need for a wiring harness..... a lot of these plug-n-play kits can be installed with a wiring harness if you choose to buy one..... personally, I did not take out the old voltimeter and take readings to see how many amps the stock bulbs pull compared to how many amps the HID kits pulls. The stock halogens are 55watts and the HIDs are 35 watts.... im curious if anyone can measure how much amps the stock bulbs pull. I will measure how many amps the HIDs pull tomorrow for comparison. Even if the HID kit pulls slightly more amps, I doubt that Mazda would have designed the stock headlight wiring right on its threshold so that a very slight increase of amperage would cause significant problems. Therefore, I did not feel the need to get a wiring harness for these.

Time for some pictures:

Comparison of 5000K color to sidemarkers and stock foglights:

Cutoff on garage door:

Car in the garage right after the install with HIDs AND fogs on:

Side shots showing color comparison of 5000K HIDs to autolumination pure white 194 LEDs:

Car by itself at night:

Light output from side of the car:

Light output from inside the car:

Would I buy these again?
So far.... absolutely.

My install how to with more pictures:
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?act=...t=0#entry880111

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Nice job Philter. I have been looking forward to your review and I'm convinced it's a great mod at a wonderful price.

I am with you on having the ability to actually screw or bolt the balasts, but you'll probably forget about it in a while anyways. Thanks for the great write-ups.

·
Registered
336 Posts
awesome work Philter25. looks wonderful, cant wait to get myself a kit for my foglights! :dmetal:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
<added to bookmarks>
mmm...SO close to buying these I'm going nuts!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
<added to bookmarks>
mmm...SO close to buying these I'm going nuts!
[/b]
You sir, are in the same boat as me. Philter's making it look like a no-brainer. So why cant I decide? I have no brain.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
if you are not doing a retrofit,then it's about a 2 hour job on adding HID's.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I've been driving around for a week with these and last night I had my car up and stuck my hand on the ballasts to give them a tug and they were on there pretty secure. Although I initially said I wish they came with screwholes for additional support, the 2 sided tape is on there very well.

Has anyone taken any measurements of how many amps the stock headlights pull?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welp I was under the car last night playing with my sidemarkers and I gave the ballasts a little tug and they were stuck on the car solid. After 3 weeks of driving with these, there are absolutely no problems whatsoever and the kit looks absolutely beautiful.

I ordered Phillips Blue Vision H3 bulbs which are 4000K in color so I will update this thread if they are a color match with pictures.

·
Registered
111 Posts
:love:
Looks sweet...I also got the 5K but went w/ Apexcone kit...same bulbs...

hope mine looks as good :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
You sir, are in the same boat as me. Philter's making it look like a no-brainer. So why cant I decide? I have no brain.[/b]

You guys just need to pull the trigger and do it.. I was like you and sat on doing it for 4mths before I finally did it..I bought the XTEC kit from another site cause I got in on a group buy for $250. And its sooooo worth it. Even though I just had to send back one of my ballast for a warranty replacement.. :(

·
Registered
465 Posts
You guys just need to pull the trigger and do it.. I was like you and sat on doing it for 4mths before I finally did it..I bought the XTEC kit from another site cause I got in on a group buy for $250. And its sooooo worth it. Even though I just had to send back one of my ballast for a warranty replacement.. :([/b]
Just be careful....we started seeing so Xtec copies. Also, our supplier which was the only supplier of Xtec for all USA and Canada isn't selling Xtec HID anymore so I don't know where the person selling the kits is getting them from. Another reason why we don't sell Xtec HID anymore is that Xtec were starting to want to cut some cost and change the ballast design again. We didn't agree with that. Like I said I hope you got the real deal and don't get more trouble from your kit in the future. I'm just want to say to people to be cautious about fake Xtec ballasts....we receive some from time to time for warranty from people that got screwed.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Just be careful....we started seeing so Xtec copies. Also, our supplier which was the only supplier of Xtec for all USA and Canada isn't selling Xtec HID anymore so I don't know where the person selling the kits is getting them from. Another reason why we don't sell Xtec HID anymore is that Xtec were starting to want to cut some cost and change the ballast design again. We didn't agree with that. Like I said I hope you got the real deal and don't get more trouble from your kit in the future. I'm just want to say to people to be cautious about fake Xtec ballasts....we receive some from time to time for warranty from people that got screwed.[/b]

I understand your concern, And as you know in the PM i sent you, the site is real.. The kit I got was a real XTEC kit,, if this was a knock off, it was a DAMN GOOD ONE!!! My kit has lasted me for a long time now but one of the ballast did go out on me and I have already sent it back to APEXCONE and they recieved it on friday so we'll see what they send me back on monday or tuesday...

·
Registered
465 Posts
I understand your concern, And as you know in the PM i sent you, the site is real.. The kit I got was a real XTEC kit,, if this was a knock off, it was a DAMN GOOD ONE!!! My kit has lasted me for a long time now but one of the ballast did go out on me and I have already sent it back to APEXCONE and they recieved it on friday so we'll see what they send me back on monday or tuesday...[/b]
Good. Apexcone will take care of you.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I want to just second just about everything that Philter had stated in this thread. I too installed my Katsuro 5000K HIDs just today. The research process prior to purchase was a long one but you definitely help man. Here are two of my pre-install worries. I was worried about the 5000Ks being just white and not well..... HID looking enough. But they are perfect! The light is pure white with a nice light blue hue. Second I was worried about my cut off and glare. But during install I did the glare mod and the cut off is perfect. Well here are a few pics for you guys and gals.
P.S. I took all of the wall shots at the same location at 25 ft away.

My old Philips Vision Plus H1s (They seemed so white?)
[attachment=20873:Hids_001.jpg]

The 5000K H1s from outside
[attachment=20874:Hids_011.jpg]

Inside Philips Vision Plus
[attachment=20875:Hids_002.jpg]

Inside 5000Ks
[attachment=20876:Hids_006.jpg]

A view from the front
[attachment=20877:Hids_020.jpg]

A blurry side view with my pure white 194s and clear side markers
[attachment=20878:Hids_025.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Great pics, bro... I need to stop messin' around with these garbage bulbs and drop that extra cash on these bad boys...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Great pics, bro... I need to stop messin' around with these garbage bulbs and drop that extra cash on these bad boys...[/b]
:highfive: Can't agree more ;)

I want to just second just about everything that Philter had stated in this thread. I too installed my Katsuro 5000K HIDs just today. The research process prior to purchase was a long one but you definitely help man. Here are two of my pre-install worries. I was worried about the 5000Ks being just white and not well..... HID looking enough. But they are perfect! The light is pure white with a nice light blue hue. Second I was worried about my cut off and glare. But during install I did the glare mod and the cut off is perfect. Well here are a few pics for you guys and gals.
P.S. I took all of the wall shots at the same location at 25 ft away.

My old Philips Vision Plus H1s (They seemed so white?)
[attachment=20873:Hids_001.jpg]

The 5000K H1s from outside
[attachment=20874:Hids_011.jpg]

Inside Philips Vision Plus
[attachment=20875:Hids_002.jpg]

Inside 5000Ks
[attachment=20876:Hids_006.jpg]

A view from the front
[attachment=20877:Hids_020.jpg]

A blurry side view with my pure white 194s and clear side markers
[attachment=20878:Hids_025.jpg][/b]

Nice :) Glad you're happy! Enjoy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone tried this mod with the H3 Fog light bulbs? i bought H3 3000K and i was wondering if it was ruffly the same thing cause if i'm taken the bumper off to install these H1 6000K i bought i figured i'd do both at the same time???

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Has anyone tried this mod with the H3 Fog light bulbs? i bought H3 3000K and i was wondering if it was ruffly the same thing cause if i'm taken the bumper off to install these H1 6000K i bought i figured i'd do both at the same time???[/b]
Not yet, but after the holidays I will be dropping my Katsuros to the fogs and retro fitting the low beams with the Apexcone 55 watters. So let us know how it goes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts