1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
790 Posts
I would honestly be surprised if you got better mileage replacing the stock filter with a K&N.

What I would be concerned with is the turbo does not like dirty air. Generally speaking the K&N might let a little more air in at the expense of more dirt. Not worth it.

Use the OEM filter and know you're doing the best thing for your engine (and turbo) also keep in mind that if there was some sort of break own and the dealer thought they could blame it on the air filter. they could, they probably would.

I would always suggest using oem, at least until the warranty is expired.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
BTW if the layout under-hood is like the NA "6" there's room for a restriction gauge (see my DIY on the forum here) which will tell you when you need to change the filter. There is no point in doing it before it's restricted at all -- you're only spending money but not improving a thing. This is a $20 mod that will keep you from performing unnecessary changes and also tell you in plenty of time when you actually DO need to change it. Oh, and DO use the OE filter, not the K&N garbage.

Air filter intervals are WILDLY divergent in terms of actual need, unlike oil and oil filter changes, since the amount of dust and debris in the air in your environment is wildly divergent. If it's low the filter will go MUCH further than you think before needing changed, and if high it will go MUCH less distance. Visual inspection with modern air filters doesn't tell you much either -- the only way to know is to have a restriction indicator in the air filter housing that measures how many inches of water of restriction exists.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts