Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm impatiently waiting for my K&N filter. I'm currently running with no resonator, airbox tray, or tuba tube although I think I'll probably put the tuba back on to lessen the sound a little. I'll let you know my impressions tomorrow after i install the filter. Assuming it actually gets here.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Reading Topic: K&N filter arrives tomorrow

cool. When I was picking up my readline oil today at a performance store, they had this neat little K&N display with a stock filter and a K&N filter. basically, the had some fans trying to suck air through the filter to push a ping-pong ball up a plastic see through tube...you could replace the stock one with the K&N one and watch the ball actually float to the top. The stock filter didn't allow enough airflow to even lift the ball slightly. Sure they found the most restrictive stock filter the could find, but it was cool nonetheless.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Replying to Topic 'K&N filter arrives tomorrow'

Originally posted by Bantha

I'm impatiently waiting for my K&N filter.  I'm currently running with no resonator, airbox tray, or tuba tube although I think I'll probably put the tuba back on to lessen the sound a little.  I'll let you know my impressions tomorrow after i install the filter.  Assuming it actually gets here.[/b]
Where did you order it from? I got mine from Summit Racing for $49, although it cost $10 more to drop ship it to me.

·
Registered
153 Posts

MAISF,

cant you just order the filter at Canadian Tire. They carry K7N filters here in Windsor.

·
Registered
331 Posts

Originally posted by Brillo

cool. When I was picking up my readline oil today at a performance store, they had this neat little K&N display with a stock filter and a K&N filter. basically, the had some fans trying to suck air through the filter to push a ping-pong ball up a plastic see through tube...you could replace the stock one with the K&N one and watch the ball actually float to the top. The stock filter didn't allow enough airflow to even lift the ball slightly. Sure they found the most restrictive stock filter the could find, but it was cool nonetheless.[/b]
Yeah I saw that display down here in Florida at a store called the "Driver's Seat", pretty convincing none the less. :) I"m having a moral delima... I dont know if I should continue to impatiently wait for the Injen Product (or whoever beats them to it) or say screw it and get the K & N filter.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Originally posted by Simple_Man

Originally posted by Brillo

cool. When I was picking up my readline oil today at a performance store, they had this neat little K&N display with a stock filter and a K&N filter. basically, the had some fans trying to suck air through the filter to push a ping-pong ball up a plastic see through tube...you could replace the stock one with the K&N one and watch the ball actually float to the top. The stock filter didn't allow enough airflow to even lift the ball slightly. Sure they found the most restrictive stock filter the could find, but it was cool nonetheless.[/b]
Yeah I saw that display down here in Florida at a store called the "Driver's Seat", pretty convincing none the less. :) I"m having a moral delima... I dont know if I should continue to impatiently wait for the Injen Product (or whoever beats them to it) or say screw it and get the K & N filter. [/b][/quote]

I know the feeling. However, after changing my oil yesterday, I got a good idea how hot it is in the engine bay, and now matter how good our airbox mods are, I don't think it will be as good as a true CAI running down to the fender. The is plenty of room down there, so developing one should be pretty easy. I would bet DP could pretty easily prototype a V6 off what the know about the I4. I was able to use the flex pipe idea and pull the whole air box and pipe while bent in and out of the engine bay with no problem.

I would have a little more patience, I don't think it will be much longer.

·
Registered
204 Posts

I just put it in last night. Here's where I got mine at.

Part Number Product Description Qty Price Total
KN 33-2279 Item: K&N 33-2279: Replacement Air Filter
Fits: 2003 MAZDA 6 3.0L V6 F/I 1 $38.58 $ 38.58
Sub-Total $ 38.58
Shipping $ 0.00
Total $ 38.58

From http://www.ajusa.com/

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

There was a link around the forums regarding K&N actually not being better than a stock filter.... Something about it letting in more particles into your engine, and not providing much better airflow.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I also got mine at AJUSA for $38.58 and free shipping. I just put it in and drove around the block. Haven't had a chance to really try it out yet but I squealed the tires much easier at a red light than I could with the stock filter without even really trying. Not a very technical test but it bodes well. I'll let you know how I feel after driving the car more tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

Originally posted by mazda6guy

There was a link around the forums regarding K&N actually not being better than a stock filter....  Something about it letting in more particles into your engine, and not providing much better airflow.[/b]
K&N is among the best, not THE best, but well up there. Here is that link:

http://www.mcagraphix.com/filter/test.htm

Long story short: (From best to worst)

1) NAPA filter
2) K&N
3) Amsoil

·
Registered
793 Posts

Does anybody know the K&N filter number for the 6i, or is it the same for the 6i and the 6s?

·
Registered
315 Posts

Originally posted by TS3 DraGkuLa

Does anybody know the K&N filter number for the 6i, or is it the same for the 6i and the 6s?[/b]
The part number is 33-2278 for the 4 cycl. The V6 part number is 33-2279.

·
Registered
55 Posts

K&N is among the best, not THE best, but well up there. Here is that link:

http://www.mcagraphix.com/filter/test.htm

Long story short: (From best to worst)

1) NAPA filter
2) K&N
3) Amsoil[/b]
I don't know how you read the test, but I see it as:

1.) K&N
2.) Amsoil
5.) NAPA

The test found the following average psi differentials across the filter.

Napa Paper filter 0.249

K&N cotton gauze 0.231

Racing Beat foam 0.236

Jackson Racing foam 0.245

Amsoil foam 0.235

·
Registered
205 Posts

I ordered a K&N drop in filter. Should be here sometime today. I will throw it in and let you know if I feel a difference with my butt dyno.

6:15PM

Just put it in about an hour ago. Definately has some better throttle response. It made the car sound and feel a bit stronger. Good addition for 30 bucks if ya ask me, I already had the filter charger kit. I am going to try the airbox mod this weekend.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'K&N filter arrives tomorrow'

OK, I drove it for a day and there does seem to be better throttle response. I squealed the tires without even having to floor the accelerator. I wouldn't say that the difference is huge but it is there, with better sound, for only $38. Not bad.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

Ordered mine through ATS Performance, will be in Friday for me to pickup. K&N filter number 33-2279.

·
Registered
204 Posts

I agree it's defiantly worth the $38 investment. I recommend it to anyone that wants a little extra punch.:thumbup

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Not to mention its washable, so you never have to replace it again!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts