Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody know if k&n has a drop in filter that fits, im shure it has to be better than the stock one?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Reading Topic: K & N drop in filter

You would be amazed how good some of the OEM filters are. The K&Ns may give a little better sound but the OEM filters flow just as well.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Replying to Topic 'K & N drop in filter'

LBJay is correct....the stock filters on these Mazda's are very good filters. However, they arent washable and wont last the life of your vehicle like the S&B Filters we have had made. It is looking like the only way to get power gains from the induction side of the engine is to run a nice cold air intake setup using a high flow cone filter.

We are crossing our fingers that we will be able to dyno our test Mazda6 again with a functional prototype cold air intake, our headers, and a cat back exhaust. Right now the only thing that is questionable is the exhaust. I have contacted several exhaust companies to see if they are interested in using the car while we have it for their prototyping...

Nikolas

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Duratec i have a buddy in L.A. area that does exactly that and also produces Black Widow body kits, as he did for my cuzins 2002 Prelude but i cant do it since the 6 is me n my wifes only car....if ur interested i can get you some info on that. Holla at me...

·
Registered
315 Posts

It would be extremely beneficial to get dyno readouts of stock WHP and then see what each item does to WHP individually instead of only seeing the combined effort.
I'd like to know how much the intake will give by itself, how much the headers only, exhaust only, etc... then see combinations.

Tome

·
Registered
577 Posts
Replying to Topic 'K & N drop in filter'

Tome,

I am sure you realize the difficulty in approaching it that way. Dont get me wrong, I would LOVE to be able to do a dyno with only one part at a time to show the individual gains. But, we only have the car for 3 weeks. In 3 weeks time we have to prototype, fabricate, and install a cold air intake, headers, y-pipe, and exhaust.

Then to do the dynoing, we would need to rent the dyno for a full day (mucho dinero).

-Do three stock runs
-install CAI
-do three more runs
-remove CAI, Install Exhaust
-Do three more runs
-remove exhaust
-install headers (takes at least 3 hours)
-do three more runs
-install CAI
-do three more runs
-install exhaust
-do three more runs for final I/H/E power output.

Something like that would easily take all day, and ALOT OF MONEY. Considering that anybody who installs headers is going to have an exhaust installed (it makes NO sense to run headers but not a less restrictive exhaust); then that test is valid. As far as the cold air intake goes, i agree with you. I would like to see what the gains are for just the CAI over the stock box.

One thing that we can and probably will do is this: Go to the dyno with the headers and exhaust installed. Make three runs with the stock air box. Then install the CAI to see the difference. At least then we will have some idea as to the improved performance from the CAI.

Nikolas

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Hey Dura....do think swapping in new headers are going to be easier or harder than say a civic?

·
Registered
315 Posts

I understand the time and effort and CASH to make those tests. :)
I was just suggesting what I would LIKE to see, not necessarily what we will get.

"One thing that we can and probably will do is this: Go to the dyno with the headers and exhaust installed. Make three runs with the stock air box. Then install the CAI to see the difference. At least then we will have some idea as to the improved performance from the CAI."

I'd love to see that as well. The problem with that however, is that it will demonstrate the need to let in more air because you can push more air out. As an engine is an "air pump" it's always wise to open the intake when opening the exhaust. So, in this scenario we are not getting a good idea of what a simple intake only mod will do for the 6. An intake is a very very common mod, usually it's one of the first mods people do. At minimum, I think it would be great to get a base stock run and then get an intake only run. Then we will get a good idea of what an intake alone can do.
The rest I completely see being very time and money exhaustive.

Do you think the stock ECU will handle headers and an intake without more programming?

I wouldn't mind an intake and headers in my setup, but I don't want a very open exhaust as I want my neighbors to remain friendly. :)
I would do a less restrictive setup but hopefully there will be a "relatively" quiet setup.

Tome

1 - 10 of 10 Posts