Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car just threw a CEL about 20 minutes ago, no more than 2 blocks from my house. I was driving very easy on the car and have 0 mods, with the exception of the clutch pedal adjustment (which has been done properly).

I have no idea would could have caused the CEL. I have NOT had the relfash done, and I don't want it. When I take the car in to see what caused the CEL do you think the dealer will flash the car without me asking about it?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Buy a scanner, find some local to borrow a scanner. Check your gas cap. They probably would reflash seeing its a recall regardless of what you say.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
If your car is not modified at all, just go take it in for a diagnostic. Warranty work. No cost.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If an intake/bov/ic hose pops off, or, a sensor connector pops off, or, the gas tank fill cap is loose it will throw a cel.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If an intake/bov/ic hose pops off, or, a sensor connector pops off, or, the gas tank fill cap is loose it will throw a cel.
[/b]
Also a failed evaporation system solenoid purge valve will cause the system to think the gas cap is loose. It is a 30 minute repair, and a known problem with cars produce through June or July.

·
Registered
64 Posts
also, if your engine is aquart or so low it will throw a cel...do not ask why I know this!! :sarc:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update...

sitting at the dealer now and I overheard the tech talking. it looks like the CEL is for a bad purge valve. I read about a few others having this prob. production date is something like jan 06.

I'm still waiting and hoping they aren't reflashing her now. I've read too many bad things about the reflash... damn you, Mazda!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so.. back home now. It was a bad purge valve, which is on order and should be in next week.

NO REFLASH TODAY!!!... I'm hoping I dodge the reflash bullet next week too!

p.s. My car just sucked down 3/4 tank of gas in a week... I only drive about 10 to 15 miles a day at the absolute max... my job is 3 miles from home. Perhaps this is where my gas went?

·
Registered
176 Posts
p.s. My car just sucked down 3/4 tank of gas in a week... I only drive about 10 to 15 miles a day at the absolute max... my job is 3 miles from home. Perhaps this is where my gas went?
[/b]
Nope. I had the purge valve problem and it did not affect my gas mileage. The tank on this car is smaller than most, so you will have to refill more often. For instance, it is 2 gallons (U.S.) smaller than the standard Mazda 6, and the gas mileage is not as good. Therefore more frequent fills.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope. I had the purge valve problem and it did not affect my gas mileage. The tank on this car is smaller than most, so you will have to refill more often. For instance, it is 2 gallons (U.S.) than the standard Mazda 6, and the gas mileage is not as good. Therefore more frequent fills.
[/b]
I normally get something like 250 miles out of a full tank, based on my driving habbits. I got 70 miles out of 3/4 of a tank this week. If the purge valve works like I think it does, I'm guessing I had gas evaporating constantly all week, or at least while I was driving. Perhaps it was stuck open? I just know that 70 miles for 3/4 tank when the CEL was thrown due to a bad evaporation valve is more than likely not a coincidence. The valve could be stuck open, stuck closed, or intermittent and still be defianed as "faulty valve".

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Ok so.. back home now. It was a bad purge valve, which is on order and should be in next week.

[/b]
sounds like my car they replaced the bov buy the milage didnt get much better

C

·
0 Posts

[/b]
How much did the dealer charge you for the purge valve? I got a CEL and went to the Mazda dealer, but he charged me $85 just for the diagnostic (which I could have done for free at Autozone), and said it would go towards the replacement costs which will total about $199.00 parts and labor. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
488 Posts
How much did the dealer charge you for the purge valve? I got a CEL and went to the Mazda dealer, but he charged me $85 just for the diagnostic (which I could have done for free at Autozone), and said it would go towards the replacement costs which will total about $199.00 parts and labor. Does this sound right?
[/b]
No, unless you have driven 48K, the warranty covers all repair costs. Are you kidding?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Also a failed evaporation system solenoid purge valve will cause the system to think the gas cap is loose. It is a 30 minute repair, and a known problem with cars produce through June or July.
[/b]
I took my car in shortly after I had got it for the same thing. One day, under warranty. My build date is 11/05

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So... got the part replaced Friday Dec 22nd... the CEL just came back on again today. YAY!!!... The dealership here in town is a Buick/GMC/Mazda dealership... their Mazda tech wont be in until the first week of January. I'm kinda angry.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
So... got the part replaced Friday Dec 22nd... the CEL just came back on again today. YAY!!!... The dealership here in town is a Buick/GMC/Mazda dealership... their Mazda tech wont be in until the first week of January. I'm kinda angry.
[/b]

typically what i have seen in my shop is if the purge valve goes and they replace it, and the light returns they will need to replace your evap canister. i can almost 100% garauntee this as i see it 2-3 times a month.

do you typically fill your car more once the gas pump clicks off the first time? if so, this is more then likely thwe cause of that. just let the pump click once and thats all. all the extra fumes enter the canister and once it hits its max the light goes on. its an emissions regulation as to not let excess fumes into the air.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nah I just fill it up and after it clicks I put the cap back on and pay. ill update the thread when I get them to look at it.

on a side note I may ask for the latest reflash since it seems to be just a smoother powerband. I'll give my opinion if I get that done too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts