Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And it was awesome! Our 5 had a lift gate safety recall so I drove this 2.5L 3 while waiting at the dealership. What an amazing little car! I've never driven a 3 and I loved its power and handling, and its gorgeous looks too. The shifts were great and corners were fun as hell. I'm not in the market to buy another vehicle, but I'm baffled why anyone would buy a Civic, Corolla, etc. when the 3 exists...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
If it wasn't for the fact that my "6" was actually CHEAPER than the equivalent-trim "3" I would own a 3 Hatch.

But it was, despite being a materially-larger vehicle with a more-powerful engine. I would have absolutely adored it as a wagon, but as it stands I'm very happy with my sedan.

Nonetheless, a 3-hatch, if it had been at the same price-point as my "6", I would have bought immediately instead. I just could not justify paying more and getting less, even if not much more.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How was the 6 less than the 3? The 3 was loaded and the 6 was base? The 3 I drove was around $21kish if I remember. But yeah, I definitely wouldn't spend more on a 3 than a 6.

And a 3 wagon would be amazing.

·
Banned
703 Posts
How was the 6 less than the 3? The 3 was loaded and the 6 was base? The 3 I drove was around $21kish if I remember. But yeah, I definitely wouldn't spend more on a 3 than a 6.

How did the 3 feel compared to your current wagon? mainly, what did you think of the engine, and the feel/gearing of the newer 6 speed?

did the 3 feel more refined and stable compared to the 6? which chassis do you prefer?

I've driven a 2L base Mazda 3 along with my 2.5L 6, and I thought it was a fantastic handling car. slow, but genuinely good for a 2L and great fun to drive. the suspension felt sharper and more buttoned down VS. the softer 6.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I just bought a 17 3GT 6mt sedan and its the same size as my 06 Hatch and every bit as powerful. The Bose is loud and kicks good, but cant feel it in my ass like the Bose sub bolted to the frame of the hatch. It doesnt stick quite as well as the 6, but i think its cause of the tires. The newer 6 wasnt on my list since you cant get an MT on the GT, which is a travesty.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How did the 3 feel compared to your current wagon? mainly, what did you think of the engine, and the feel/gearing of the newer 6 speed?

did the 3 feel more refined and stable compared to the 6? which chassis do you prefer?

I've driven a 2L base Mazda 3 along with my 2.5L 6, and I thought it was a fantastic handling car. slow, but genuinely good for a 2L and great fun to drive. the suspension felt sharper and more buttoned down VS. the softer 6.
The 3 was a much different beast than my V6 wagon as it's much lighter and shorter. As such it feels a lot stickier than the wagon. 1st and 2nd gear feel extremely fast compared to the wagon and you almost can't help but chirp the wheels in the 3, which is a lot of fun. The wagon is more powerful overall but the 3 is very torquey at lower speeds and is a blast to drive.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had a similar experience when I test drove the 3 GT 6spd MT, it felt refined, handled well and was easy to drive. It was a bit sharper than the 6 to be sure since it's smaller and lighter. My only gripe was that it was kind of cramped compared to the Civic hatch and even the prior gen 3 due to the more sloping rear roofline. That is where I can see why someone would choose the competitors over it if they really needed the utility and the space. Otherwise, the 3 is much more polished and refined in comparison to the Civic and Corolla.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts

Mazda 3 5-door, stick, sport: $19,345 base.

NOW the 6-Sport, stick is MSRP $21,950. But I paid under $19k and there were NO deals on the 3 in a Sport/stick trim when I bought mine. At all. The "3" in a 5-door, hatch and stick, sport trim would have not only been almost $1,000 more than I paid it ALSO would have precluded replacing the stereo since it had the "burnt toast" display and not a double-din that I could pull out and replace.

Today it would be easy; I'd do the 3 5-door (hatch), no contest. I don't actually NEED the additional length and the hatch + folded rear seats is plenty of cargo space. And I'd still go "sport" because I just can't get my arms around $1,500 for the Blows stereo. No way, no how.

How they get "33mpg" on the highway for the 2018 "6" is beyond me; I easily achieve 37/38, and that's with an *average* speed across the tank of ~68mph (70mph speed limits, typical actual speed 75mph.) What the hell did they do to destroy its economy?

I'm quite interested in the "3" when the HX engine comes out for it. I'll give it a year to make sure there isn't anything catastrophically wrong with it, but if not I want one -- with a stick. That ought to be a 50mpg highway vehicle; I'll sell my "6" when it shows up or, if I can't get a price I like maybe I'll give it to my kid if her Jetta is getting nasty by then.

·
Banned
703 Posts

The 3 was a much different beast than my V6 wagon as it's much lighter and shorter. As such it feels a lot stickier than the wagon. 1st and 2nd gear feel extremely fast compared to the wagon and you almost can't help but chirp the wheels in the 3, which is a lot of fun. The wagon is more powerful overall but the 3 is very torquey at lower speeds and is a blast to drive.
Totally agreed, the 2.5 really got a nice punch to it in the low end. It would feel fantastic with a 91 octane tune.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Tickerguy (or Others): in brief, what does the door sill recal comprise, and do you know which model years of 6 it corresponds to?
It's the seals around the doors; they pull off in some conditions. They replace the seals and the clips on the end; the problem is that if the clip fails it leave a nasty open metallic channel in the trim which could snag your arm when you get into the car.

I never had it happen but they changed all the trim pieces on mine; I thought it was a bit odd for a recall, but.... heh, they're going to do it, why not let 'em.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I forgot to mention how much I like the driver's seat. It's a lot more curved than I'm used to, but it seemed to cup me perfectly like I was in some sort of cockpit. And it was just firm enough to feel a little race-y but soft enough to be quite comfortable.

·
Banned
703 Posts
I forgot to mention how much I like the driver's seat. It's a lot more curved than I'm used to, but it seemed to cup me perfectly like I was in some sort of cockpit. And it was just firm enough to feel a little race-y but soft enough to be quite comfortable.
good point. I prefer Acura's seats though - Mazda should take note. Mazda's seats are snug but only for smaller frames. I'm 6'3 and 220LB, and the seat is a little too thin for me and the lumbar support isn't quite optimal. They're not bad seats for larger frames, but they could have done better.

Good point you made about the interior though. It feels really sporty and snug yet comfortable at the same time.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts

Insurance rates for one. When I compared rates while looking in 2015, insurance on a 3 wagon was actually 15% higher than a 6 sedan. No idea why, either.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
It's a function of who buys them, how often they wreck 'em, and how much the parts cost to fix 'em WHEN they are wrecked.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
tickerguy
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing