Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I guess I'll just say 'hi'.

I'll be buying my first car ever, and I've decided on a mazda6, 4cyl, manual transmission. I think I'll be going for a 05 or 06 model. I went to one dealership allready, and did not have such a positive experience. It was Mazda of Toronto, located at Yonge and Steeles. I guess the used car rep kind of sniffed out that I was a first timer, and within 2 minutes had attempted to get me to sign papers without even opening the damn car so I can sit inside it, nevermind answering any of my questions. I guess I wanted to know what you all think are the better/best dealerships around the GTA area?
I plan to sign something on September 25th, so I'm eagerly counting the days 'till then.

I hope I'll be able to come to this place for help in the future, as over the months following the purchase, I'll be looking to upgrade the stereo and possibly add a body kit (maybe closer to next summer).

·
Registered
177 Posts
welcome! too bad you dont live kinda near Boise Idaho.... id set you up with a great guy i know that sold me my 6. he's really nice and did everything he could to get me into my car.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Good thing you didn't sign!

Remember - you don't HAVE to buy a car from someone, they have to SELL it to you.

You da boss - don't take any sh*t!

Can't say I know any good shops within the GTA - I'm sure someone does. Kieswetter out here in Kitchener was great, though...

·
Registered
384 Posts
eh...welcoem to the club...

if u lookin for someone that has a great reputation on this board...u cant go wrong with Avante in Richmond Hill...anyone of those guys are reputable...and they also give discount on all parts to club members...so...if u still lookin for a place to go check out....

i say try them...i bought from them, n from Prima Mazda in Woodbirdge b4, and Avante is a bit better, especially their service department n their parts...

just $.02

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
i say go to Avante, they are definately the best mazda dealership i have dealt with.

they are on younge just north of major mac.

if you are unsure about buying your car, i'm sure one of the members here (myself included) wouldn't mind going with you to make sure you dont get your pants pulled down.

are you looking to buy used or new?
leasing? financing? buying outright?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just my 2 cents.

If you are going to Mazda of Toronto talk to
Sales - Jeff Holley
Parts - Joe Montano

They know me by my torontomazda3.com board name - vanpatrick81

If you are going to Prima Mazda talk to
Sales - Alan Alam (Sales Manager)

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
how much are u willing to spend?
new or used?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I didn't get mine through the dealership, so I really don't have any "experience" or recommendations.. but the guy I go through to get the car is really great! my bro-in-law got his s2000 through him and so did my mom's Matrix... so pretty much any car u looking for...

So I assume the salesman didn't even let you test drive anything?

anyway, if you decided not to go through the dealership, and need someone reputable, let me know. :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the comments and replies. I've compiled a list of the Mazda dealerships that are close to me, and I've got a few to chose from, so I guess it'll really be about the place that has what I'm looking for.

Burnsey, yeah I went to the Kitchener dealership several years ago, as I used to drive there every weekend. They are pretty nice.

Thanks for the heads up about Avante. They were a place I most definitely wanted to check out, and they're within a very reasonable distance to me.

My budget is between 23k to 26k maximum. I'd, idealy, like to get new, and I saw a couple of '05 models listed that would fit my budget. I'm not sure whether they'll be lowering '06 model year prices around the end of September, as I assume shorthly thereafter they'll be getting the new '07 models.
My basic requirements:
-4 cylinder 2.3l engine (what is the name of this engine btw?)
-manual transmission
-sunroof
I will have a downpayment of around 3000, so I'll be looking at dealer financing.

I saw two listings that had all of the above plus leather interior. If I could get one with a body kit it would be amazing, but I have my doubts about that. More likely I'd get an AM kit after winter tires and all the other important stuff.

What do you all suggest?

EDITED:
Elana, you're right, the guy did not even open the door of the car, nevermind an actual test drive.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Balhar

Thanks for the link and the info. I gave Vince a call, and I gotta say that I like this option of looking for a car. Takes a lot of the work out of it. I hope something comes out of it.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I'd wait for an end of the year sales if I were you

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was considering waiting for an end of year sale, but I don't know when they start, and I suspect probably not before November, which means two and a half more months of throwing money away on commuting. I rent to drive to Ottawa once a month, so there are those costs involved as well. We'll see how it goes.

I mentioned I was referred, but now I know whom I was referred by, so I will mention it next time :D

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
when you say commuting..do you mean bus...or taxi?

Here's why..although it seems you are throwing money away....it is still cheaper then owning a car....
  • you have no insurance to pay it ranges from $150-360(me) for us owning our cars
  • you will have gas to pay...my typical fillup is $60 for 62.xxL
  • initial costs such as plates
  • regular maintenance $20-300
  • regular car payments whether they be lease or financing $150-350
so when you think about it...even spending $300 for a bus and subway each month you still come out ahead in the end....it's just that you don't have anything you can call your own....which is frustrating at times...becasue you want to go from point a to point b, but commuting merits you have to go through points c and d first.....

my .02 cents I guess.....

If it was me...I'd wait until the end of the year to, but...your selection of cars becomes harder...you may not get what you want...but the important question to ask yorself...is what do you want out of a car...you mentioned the specs that you'd like....but what abouta different colour...that's often your limiting factor...they have what you want...just in a diff colour.

it's all in the perspective of things...

I hadn't said this yet...but i will now. Welcome to the club. You will enjoy the 6 as its a very comfortable ride. it's classy enough for business, and sporty enough to feed your "thrill" hunger.

Hope to see you at some meets in the future, and there are a lot of good people to learn from at this club. The forum is filled with a wealth of information, you just need to sort through it and determine waht you want from the club.

Anyways...i'm know for my long posts...this is another, so i shall wish you luck for now....and hope to see you around

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was considering waiting for an end of year sale, but I don't know when they start, and I suspect probably not before November, which means two and a half more months of throwing money away on commuting. I rent to drive to Ottawa once a month, so there are those costs involved as well. We'll see how it goes.

I mentioned I was referred, but now I know whom I was referred by, so I will mention it next time :D [/b]
If you really compare the price the dealership gives you and the one Vince gives you... I'd pretty much consider it a sale... heh... but that's just me...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the thorough replies. I know that often people just consider the price of the car payment, and don't consider all the other factors, such as maintenance and gas. There's one thing I neglected to mention.
Technically the car will be owned by two people, and we calculated our dual ownership and our dual monthly expenses. I live outside of the TTC range (in Markham) so I have to pay a monthly YRT pass. Then, on a monthly basis a specific car is rented for a trip that has to happen once a month. My TTC and YRT pass, times two, plus the cost of the rental brings me up to $800/month as it stands now. On top of that, I pay regular insurance for my father's car. Granted, the initial costs may drive it up, but I'm almost on par with a monthly payment for a car and insurance for two in full, plus monthly gas costs.

I haven't heard anything from the guy yet. I've decided that I'll wait, and work with him. I'd like to be able to get the car exactly a month from now, on the 25th of September. I think this is a little bit of a compromise between waiting for end of year sale, and still having enough time to find exactly (or as close to) what I want.

I am curious to see what kind of price Vince will be able to provide. Have any of you dealt with him before? Is this a reputable and safe option?

BTW, thanks for the welcome. I'm sure I'm going to love the 6. I've actually rented it on three separate occasions thus far, and that in part has been a help in finding the car of choice. I've driven domestic and import cars of similar size and class, and I definitely thing that the 6 is the most unique and fun of them all. At the same time, I am hoping it will be reliable enough of a car to service me for a few years, as I can see it being a very practica, while still fun, car.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
i personally havent used vince but i know people who have, including elenaJolie's bro-in-law.

the car will do you great, i have 100k on mine and couple of other people here have even more..

blue6 has 170k on his.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts