Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright,

I decided to keep the wheels/tires:

5Zigen Pro Racer GN+
18 x 7.5 +48

Falken Ziex 512 Tires 225/40/18

Now, when driving, any speeds, I would switch lanes sort of fast. But it feels like the rear of the car would be drifting, or sliding. Perhaps this is what body roll is? Not sure how to explain.

Another way is if I am driving on a straight road. I will turn the steering wheel left to right rapidly, just to test/feel it, the whole rear of the car moves after I turn, like a lag.

Again, hard to explain, but I had a similar setup on my old wheels:
18 x 7.5 +42
Same size tires by Hankook.

Any help/info/ideas as to why this is happening? Would a rear sway bar help me out? I hate this feeling, and cannot drive the way I like to, heh.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Hmm, could be that you are just "expecting" something to happen when testing for feeling. Did this happen on the old wheels as well?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Are those tires directional tread?? If so, make sure they are all mounted in the right direction and on the correct side of the car. I had the same thing happen with my Proxes4s. I had a shop mount them on the wheel and made sure I had two facing right and two facing left. When I installed them on the car, it was getting dark and I was in a hurry. I ended up putting them on the wrong side of the car. On the highway, it felt like the rear end wanted to break loose when changing lanes and the steering felt all sloppy. Make sure your tread is facing the correct way.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
oversteer, my friend. throw on some sway bars

body roll is your car leaning from side to side when you turn.
[/b]
oversteer shouldnt lag. oversteer is when the rear moves outside the turn faster than the front. attaching sway bars would only increase the oversteer. going from 215 to 225 isnt going to give u oversteer in the ms6, anyways.

maybe you're just trying to get used to a smaller scrub radius again. your wheels are now 6mm closer to the vehicle. it changes the handling characteristics noticeably. im running a +42mm and the steering feels neutral thru the turns compared to the stock +55mm when i felt understeer.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Now, when driving, any speeds, I would switch lanes sort of fast. But it feels like the rear of the car would be drifting, or sliding. Perhaps this is what body roll is? Not sure how to explain.
[/b]
this is the part that i was talking about.

oversteer shouldnt lag. oversteer is when the rear moves outside the turn faster than the front. attaching sway bars would only increase the oversteer. going from 215 to 225 isnt going to give u oversteer in the ms6, anyways. [/b]
plus he kept the same size tires, just changed the wheels.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are pinted in the right direction, yes.

I should check my tire pressure as well.

From what I know about body roll, this is what it feels like. Thanks for all the input guys, appreciated.

-Pathik

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had the same feel with my old tires that were wore out. I just got those same tires the Falkens and the problem is now gone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
Strobed6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing